Unreal Tournament Shelved For Several Years

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

r1esG0

Unreal Engine Padawan
Feb 4, 2008
Seville, Spain
another single player whiner,
im tired of all of you,

maybe you didnt want an unreal tournament single player campaign.

what you wanted is a whole unreal single player game campaign on the single player option and the whole unreal tournament game in the multiplayer option, all on the same game, wich is impossible.

Last edited:

Kyllian

if (Driver == Bot.Pawn); bGTFO=True;
Aug 24, 2002
kyllian.deviantart.com
the community-trolls just were never willing to accept that it had changed.
The trolls weren't entirely wrong, some changes just didn't make much sense
Weaponthrow was treated as an exploit while at the same time some maps didn't add ammo pickups (ex: Suspense AVRiL) and lockers still only gave their increased ammo amount on inital pickup, but the default base amount on subsequent visits(at least they did last time I played)

vCTF which thrived very well in 2k4 without any official support was turned into not much more than vDM and CTF running in the background(there's better ways to deal with Manta runs beyond disabling them)
Hell, early gameplay vids showed they intended for players to carry the Orb in vehicles

Zeji

Nov 8, 2008
what you wanted is a whole unreal single player game campaign on the single player option and the whole unreal tournament game in the multiplayer option, all on the same game, wich is impossible.

...or maybe a campaign with as much work put into it as UC2's?
An Unreal-like single player campaign in UT3 would have been perfectly possible if Epic worked on it. It would have helped UT3 stand out from the other shooters, at least slightly.

A real single player mode mixed with UT3's great game play would have been amazing.

Last edited:

UBerserker

old EPIC GAMES
Jan 20, 2008
If the singleplayer of a future ut4 is as crappy and retarded as the ut3 one.

Easy. Ignore the SP mode. Who wants to play it any UT game anyway?
UC2's Ascension Rites was the only satysfing SP experience after U1 (and well, U2 too), in the whole Unreal series, honestly.

Last edited:

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
I don't think the SP was that bad, it was a good way to learn maps etc and some maps were dynamic over a campaign depends on what you do, like once there is no darkwalker in heatray, another time only opposite team can use it and finally you can use it as well for third time...

Bleuchamp

Jun 12, 2002
Sweden
Visit site
I'd like to see the game get atleast one more big patch.
Then I'd like to see it to be used in some big money-tournament, like WCG... that might get it to live up a little again. =)

DorDuke82

Mar 13, 2008
Saxony, Germany
Hate to burst your bubble, but there is no such thing as UnrealEngine 3.5, it's just called UnrealEngine3, and all those new features they showed of this year, and last year, and the year before that, are for all platforms. You forget that Epic is actively licensing and supporting UE3 for three platforms (PC,PS3,XBox360), even though their they have a few XBox360 exclusives.

Yeah its not officially called Unreal Engine 3.5, but it sure as hell has a higher Buildnumber and a bunch of new features over the Unreal Engine 3 that is used in UT3 and nearly all other UE3 licensed Games to date. So its just playing with words - fact is: Epic did not release a game of their own on PC featuring the new Engine Enhancements of UE3 and as far as i can see it they do not plan to ever do so (well maybe except for the People Can Fly Game - but that could even be using the "old" UE3 or as i already stated become "exclusive" and leave the PC again left in the dark).
My point was that Epic has for a long time already shifted priorities from PC to Xbox360, with PC being the redheaded stepchild to them now (not to mention the PS3).
I am not mad at the decision and the facts, just the way it all took off and how Epic has been badmouthing PC Gaming to hell and back - thats just no way to treat the Fanbase that helped them keep existing and becoming the Engine-Developer they are now.
They just lost one customer (and i think i am not the only one) because of their moves and because i dont have and never will buy a Xbox360, wich seems to be their primary plattform of choice for now. I am no PC elitist - i do own consoles myself, just no 360 as all my other plattforms give me enough Games to play.

And one thing about Unreal Engine 3 and its new features: Do we know if the PC and PS3 SKUs are even finished yet (licensing it out to partners does not mean its finished code yet)? There are no Multiplattformgames coming or announced that i am aware of that use these new features on all three plattforms - could just be again only been optimised for 360 and is still in the process of being ported/optimised on PC/PS3 (and looking at the history of Unreal Engine 3 that would certainly not be the first time happening).

Last edited:

elmuerte

Master of Science
Jan 25, 2000
the Netherlands
elmuerte.com
And one thing about Unreal Engine 3 and its new features: Do we know if the PC and PS3 SKUs are even finished yet (licensing it out to partners does not mean its finished code yet)? There are no Multiplattformgames coming or announced that i am aware of that use these new features on all three plattforms - could just be again only been optimised for 360 and is still in the process of being ported/optimised on PC/PS3 (and looking at the history of Unreal Engine 3 that would certainly not be the first time happening).

UE3 isn't finished for any platform, it never is. Epic release stable engine updates to their licensees every month. It's constantly being improved, and will so until UE4 pops it's head.

They better or else... hmm I wonder how far off HL3 is?

With Valve's current pace, I think 5 years after HL2 episode 3.

MuLuNGuS

Apr 14, 2005
they wouldn't say that it's shelved if they where planning a new UT on the UE4. maybe they will never release another UT.

but in my opinion the brother of "Cliff Bleszinski" should ask him another question that sounds like: "Cliff...what's next...Gears Of War Musical???"

Phopojijo

A Loose Screw
Nov 13, 2005
Canada
Sounds like to me, listening to Tim Sweeney in the actual video, like they're planning an Unreal for Unreal Engine 4...

He directly said all of their new projects will come out on this generation... and that this generation is going to last longer than anyone imagined.

"Several Years" seems like a reference to how long it'll take for the generation to end... especially since he said he'll want to bring the Unreal community going forward...

Last edited:

DorDuke82

Mar 13, 2008
Saxony, Germany
UE3 isn't finished for any platform, it never is. Epic release stable engine updates to their licensees every month. It's constantly being improved, and will so until UE4 pops it's head.

Ah come on - you know what i meant ;) - lets rephrase it:
Do we know if there are stable UE3 PC/PS3 Builds yet with the new features included?
Of course a Gameengine gets constantly improved and updated, but that doesnt mean it constantly gets a set of new features, if it would, then UE4 would not look any better then the latest UE3 Build till that time and we all know there will be a "breakpoint" for UE3 when they are pushing UE4 (or maybe it really wont be significantly other then UE3, depending on what MS and Sony are doing with their next consoles, because, as i said in another thread, i dont think they will go with the strictly HighEnd Route another time - i think all three will opt for 1080p as standard resolution with the casual market being the main audience for all 3 plattforms)

With Valve's current pace, I think 5 years after HL2 episode 3.

Nice one.

But it would be really intersting to know whats going on at Valve, first they say Episode3 has to wait because they need to finish Left4Dead and now they are releasing a full-fledged Left4Dead2 1 year after the first one, but they somehow couldnt manage to make a short episode Game for what 1.5 years now?

Last edited:

Miko

Miko No Pants
Jul 2, 2004
Flopping in bed
Well. UT as a franchise needs to take a seat. when Epic gets bigger and better plans. Maybe we will see a rebirth of UT. It wont have the same name likely or maybe we will see an SP unreal game. Life will go on though.