1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Unreal Tournament Shelved For Several Years

Discussion in 'News & Articles' started by hal, Jul 24, 2009.

1. Alhanalem

Alhanalem Teammember on UT3JB Bangaa Bishop

Taking time off until all the negative buzz fades and then wowing people with something amazing after (lets keep begging epic) Jazz Jackrabbit Forever like an amazing new unreal game would be a good strategy.

2. MÆST

MÆST Active Member

sad day

3. elmuerte

elmuerte Master of Science

Yep... I'm right again. (about the trolls being attracted by this news)

I wonder what the new game is that Epic is working on.

4. Northrawn

Northrawn New Member

Yep, it was so much better that the reviews even topped the 2k4 ratings everywhere, the playernumbers went through the roof and that EPIC decided to make many more UTs... ...oh, wait.

TBH: I think EPIC lost touch with UT, well, right after UT. UT2k3 was only a console-game taken back from DE. The new stuff in UT2k4 came mostly from outside and UT3 has very little to do (look and feel) with UT.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2009
  5. Lruce Bee

Lruce Bee Transcending to another level

Across 3 platforms that is a pretty abysmal figure Brizz.

Lruce

6. elmuerte

Hate to burst your bubble, but there is no such thing as UnrealEngine 3.5, it's just called UnrealEngine3, and all those new features they showed of this year, and last year, and the year before that, are for all platforms. You forget that Epic is actively licensing and supporting UE3 for three platforms (PC,PS3,XBox360), even though their they have a few XBox360 exclusives.

7. Sir_Brizz

Sir_Brizz Administrator Staff Member

I said UT3 gameplay is fine, I didn't say that reviewers rated the entire game better than 2k4 or that it had more people playing or anything else. The gameplay in UT3 seems to be the very least of all of these people's problems with UT3 (read a few reviews, they'll mention that a lot).

I don't think Epic really cares about the number of people playing online at this point. UT2004 had very few people playing the vanilla game within a few months of it coming out. It's not anything new for UT.
    I didn't say that the game enjoyed outstanding sales, I was responding to people who were saying that the game didn't sell well enough to make up for their investment, which is a dumb thing to say, really.

Also, there are very few games that top 1.5 million sales ever on any platform. I'd be surprised if most games on most platforms sell more than 500,000 units.

8. elmuerte

Nah, Bionic Commando sales were abysmal. These sales were ok, just not great. Also, those numbers are old, it doesn't include recent sales, like UT3 Black on steam/impulse/d2d/...

9. Plumb_Drumb

Plumb_Drumb yumb

Last edited: Aug 28, 2011
  10. Lruce Bee

Lruce Bee Transcending to another level

Yeah, I hear Bionic Commando only sold 27,000 copies in it's first debut month and that's across 2 platforms - pretty bad.
    Even so, for a supposed heavyweight multiplayer title, I was still surprised by UT3's sales figures.

Lruce

11. Wowbagger

Wowbagger Curing the infection...

Epic dropped the ball bigtime in the beginning but has shown some of the "old Epic" at the end with the big BP. And now after all these patches i consider UT3 to be the best in the franschise.
    Lets hope Epic take notes of what didnt work and next time reinvents the UT franschise because i dont think another pure FPS will work again.

12. Firefly

Firefly United Kingdom is not a country.

All good things come to an end. Anyway there's plenty more community created goodness in the works with some big mods on the way such as Jail Break and Tac-ops. So it's not as bleak as it first looks.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2009
  13. dub

dub

I'm guessing though that UE4 will be aimed at the next gen of consoles which is quite a few years off, if I'm to believe what I read.

14. ambershee

ambershee Nimbusfish Rawks

I didn't even realise Bionic Commando was out xD

15. Piglet

Piglet New Member

Ah well. UT3 showed they'd lost their way in online fps. It's a shame. I wish them all the best in whatever it is that they move on to.

16. Cursed_Soul

Cursed_Soul Now known as Luos_83

maybe they can come up with a better ut within that time.
    ever since ut2003.. it gone down the drain.

17. Wander

Wander kittens give Morbo gas

But what about UT3's Mac/Linux client?

18. Ignotium

Ignotium Que hora es?

:rolleyes:

19. JaFO

JaFO bugs are features too ...

They're probably waiting for all the trolls to die so that they can release a new UT without having to hear/read about how the 'old' game was better ... ;)

UT3 was/is a fine game ... it just faced too much competition in a market filled with mp-only games and the community-trolls just were never willing to accept that it had changed.
    // ---

UE4 is not console-only.
    They're just focussing on consoles first because a simple hardware-target allows one to test just the engine instead of the platform & engine ...
    OTOH ... by the time UE4 comes around we probably won't have a pc-games market anyway, so it might as well be ;)

20. Bi()ha2arD

Bi()ha2arD Toxic!

would be enough for me if they fixed the game breaking bugs at least.