Unreal Tournament Shelved For Several Years

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Alhanalem

Teammember on UT3JB Bangaa Bishop
Feb 21, 2002
Ivalice
Well that's it then, the last nail in the UT coffin has been hammered home with the biggest hammer possible.

It's really saddened me to see the slow death of UT unfold over the last couple of years, but when I do read the forums (which is quite a lot) it still give me a warm tingly feeling inside to all the old regulars from the good old days when UT was king.

Ah well, it's been a good ride while it lasted, here's to you all :cheers:

So long and thanks for all the fish!
Taking time off until all the negative buzz fades and then wowing people with something amazing after (lets keep begging epic) Jazz Jackrabbit Forever like an amazing new unreal game would be a good strategy.

Northrawn

Feb 21, 2009
UT3 gameplay is fine. Much better than 2k4.

Yep, it was so much better that the reviews even topped the 2k4 ratings everywhere, the playernumbers went through the roof and that EPIC decided to make many more UTs... ...oh, wait.

TBH: I think EPIC lost touch with UT, well, right after UT. UT2k3 was only a console-game taken back from DE. The new stuff in UT2k4 came mostly from outside and UT3 has very little to do (look and feel) with UT.

Last edited:

Lruce Bee

Transcending to another level
May 3, 2001
Sherwood Forest
UT3 gameplay is fine. Much better than 2k4. And for those saying it was a sales failure, consider that they sold over 1.2 million copies across all platforms by early 2008. Averaging $50 a pop that is over $50 million, so I think calling it a sales failure is missing the mark completely.

Across 3 platforms that is a pretty abysmal figure Brizz.

Lruce

elmuerte

Master of Science
Jan 25, 2000
the Netherlands
elmuerte.com
Uhm sorry to say that, but that did already happen - the Unreal Engine 3 was designed around the 360 and Gears of War, the Unreal Engine 3.5 is 360only for the moment, Shadow Complex is 360 only and well dont get me started on UT3 and what it did to UT's Fanbase (who would have thought that after UT2kX we get an even bigger drama in the fanbase with UT3)

Hate to burst your bubble, but there is no such thing as UnrealEngine 3.5, it's just called UnrealEngine3, and all those new features they showed of this year, and last year, and the year before that, are for all platforms. You forget that Epic is actively licensing and supporting UE3 for three platforms (PC,PS3,XBox360), even though their they have a few XBox360 exclusives.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Yep, it was so much better that the reviews even topped the 2k4 ratings everywhere, the playernumbers went through the roof and that EPIC decided to make many more UTs... ...oh, wait.
I said UT3 gameplay is fine, I didn't say that reviewers rated the entire game better than 2k4 or that it had more people playing or anything else. The gameplay in UT3 seems to be the very least of all of these people's problems with UT3 (read a few reviews, they'll mention that a lot).

I don't think Epic really cares about the number of people playing online at this point. UT2004 had very few people playing the vanilla game within a few months of it coming out. It's not anything new for UT.
Across 3 platforms that is a pretty abysmal figure Brizz.
I didn't say that the game enjoyed outstanding sales, I was responding to people who were saying that the game didn't sell well enough to make up for their investment, which is a dumb thing to say, really.

Also, there are very few games that top 1.5 million sales ever on any platform. I'd be surprised if most games on most platforms sell more than 500,000 units.

Lruce Bee

Transcending to another level
May 3, 2001
Sherwood Forest
Yeah, I hear Bionic Commando only sold 27,000 copies in it's first debut month and that's across 2 platforms - pretty bad.
Even so, for a supposed heavyweight multiplayer title, I was still surprised by UT3's sales figures.

Lruce

Wowbagger

Curing the infection...
May 20, 2000
Sweden
Visit site
Epic dropped the ball bigtime in the beginning but has shown some of the "old Epic" at the end with the big BP. And now after all these patches i consider UT3 to be the best in the franschise.
Lets hope Epic take notes of what didnt work and next time reinvents the UT franschise because i dont think another pure FPS will work again.

dub

Feb 12, 2002
Worst news Iv'e heard all day :( Hope that just means its being put off till Unreal Engine 4

I'm guessing though that UE4 will be aimed at the next gen of consoles which is quite a few years off, if I'm to believe what I read.

Piglet

Sep 13, 2005
Ah well. UT3 showed they'd lost their way in online fps. It's a shame. I wish them all the best in whatever it is that they move on to.

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
They're probably waiting for all the trolls to die so that they can release a new UT without having to hear/read about how the 'old' game was better ... ;)

UT3 was/is a fine game ... it just faced too much competition in a market filled with mp-only games and the community-trolls just were never willing to accept that it had changed.
// ---

UE4 is not console-only.
They're just focussing on consoles first because a simple hardware-target allows one to test just the engine instead of the platform & engine ...
OTOH ... by the time UE4 comes around we probably won't have a pc-games market anyway, so it might as well be ;)