Unreal Tournament Shelved For Several Years

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

elmuerte

Master of Science
Jan 25, 2000
the Netherlands
elmuerte.com
Do we know if there are stable UE3 PC/PS3 Builds yet with the new features included?

Considering most of the engine development starts on the PC, it is quite safe to assume it all works on the PC. Epic will try to have all features available for all platforms. How well they are optimized is a different question. There is not really a thing called "PC Build" for UE3, UE3 is developed for all platforms in parallel. Also, quite some of the new features Epic announced this year were developer features, not something dependent on a platform.

Of course a Gameengine gets constantly improved and updated, but that doesnt mean it constantly gets a set of new features, if it would, then UE4 would not look any better then the latest UE3 Build till that time and we all know there will be a "breakpoint" for UE3 when they are pushing UE4 (or maybe it really wont be significantly other then UE3, depending on what MS and Sony are doing with their next consoles, because, as i said in another thread, i dont think they will go with the strictly HighEnd Route another time - i think all three will opt for 1080p as standard resolution with the casual market being the main audience for all 3 plattforms)

As Epic has hinted earlier, UE4 will target the next generation of consoles. It will be designed in a way that fits best for that platform. UE3 keeps with the current generation of console hardware, and at a certain point it will reach the limits for what those platforms can handle. There is a fair chance that the latest UE3 version is almost on the same graphical level as the first UE4 version. But that's for a large part cause by the fact that they are already quite far on a graphical quality level, at a certain point the differences will be subtle. But UE4 will probably handle it all better. The editor might evolve quite gradually from UE3 to UE4, as it always has been in UE.

Lostsoul

boobs
Jul 3, 2005
pdX, Oregun
not suprised and probably for the best that they don't make another one. Better to have two good UT's and two bad ones than make another mistake.

Benfica

European Redneck
Feb 6, 2006
Sir_Brizz said:
I wouldn't call UT2004 good :p
Regardless if you are right or not, those are the kind of comments that killed UT. Always fueling the fire, always enlarging the gap within the community, :deadhorse:, not even once bothering to try to undo the damage.

It's worse on the other ProU forum , but BuF was a tad disappointing for me too :(

Last edited:

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I liked UT2003 and UT2004, but I wouldn't exactly call them the shining lights of the series. UT2004 was an attempt to fix UT2003 but in the process broke a lot of other things. It was just not a well balanced game.

However, it did bring variety to the series and it was solidly developed and very moddable. Those are all good things. I wouldn't say any UT game is bad, but some of them are not as good as others in different areas.

Forgetful

Here is party?
Sep 21, 2003
Winnipeg, Canada
Visit site
I'd have to agree with whoever said that Cliffy B was bitter. I don't, however, know if I could condemn him for feeling so. They poured everything they had into UT3, and in my opinion it is a wicked game. The PC community basically gave them the finger and there were no sales. They did the same with wars on console and everyone ate it up because they had been waiting for a title of that quality for quite some time.

We (PC users) - and again this is MY opinion - are ungrateful. There is no reason copies of UT3 should not be flying of the shelves. I play with a prominent community that echoes back from Unreal on the days of Heat.net and I realize that the competitive angle wasn't there right away. The bugs are gone now though, and there has been no response.

CAL (Cyberathletes Amateur League) has a meager 1 vs 1 category for the game because there just isn't enough community interest. Don't expect to see Unreal Tournament 4 anytime soon. From a business cents point of view its a complete waste of time.

Epic games will get more acclaim and attention if they take console games with huge install bases like Gears of War and push the competitive aspect (Much like Microsoft did with Halo). UT3 is certainly not going to contribute to the idea of a "pro gamer" because of its weak performance. The "pro" community is established, but has a very weak pulse. It's there and its getting stronger, but still just a blip on the radar when you look at both sales numbers and competitive gaming.

Sadness, pure sadness :(
That quote was from a comment I made back in Febuary 2008. It still rings very true. Epic Games and the PC market are done with.

Alhanalem

Teammember on UT3JB Bangaa Bishop
Feb 21, 2002
Ivalice
JaFO said:
UT3 was/is a fine game ... it just faced too much competition in a market filled with mp-only games and the community-trolls just were never willing to accept that it had changed.
Maybe the first time ever that I agree with JaFO

Northrawn

Feb 21, 2009
But it would be really intersting to know whats going on at Valve, first they say Episode3 has to wait because they need to finish Left4Dead and now they are releasing a full-fledged Left4Dead2 1 year after the first one, but they somehow couldnt manage to make a short episode Game for what 1.5 years now?

Even Left4Dead (the first one) had far less content than the shortest Episode (Ep1) of HL2. L4D2 is mostly based on L4D1 and thus needs not as much work.

Amd since "everyone" was dull enough and paid the full price for this budget game with very little content Valce is only clever to put out a second L4D to milk the customers before working on Ep3.