1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Unreal Tournament Shelved For Several Years

Discussion in 'News & Articles' started by hal, Jul 24, 2009.

1. Twrecks

Twrecks Spectacularly Lucky

I want my Unreal towel as a memento of the last decade.

2. elmuerte

elmuerte Master of Science

Considering most of the engine development starts on the PC, it is quite safe to assume it all works on the PC. Epic will try to have all features available for all platforms. How well they are optimized is a different question. There is not really a thing called "PC Build" for UE3, UE3 is developed for all platforms in parallel. Also, quite some of the new features Epic announced this year were developer features, not something dependent on a platform.

As Epic has hinted earlier, UE4 will target the next generation of consoles. It will be designed in a way that fits best for that platform. UE3 keeps with the current generation of console hardware, and at a certain point it will reach the limits for what those platforms can handle. There is a fair chance that the latest UE3 version is almost on the same graphical level as the first UE4 version. But that's for a large part cause by the fact that they are already quite far on a graphical quality level, at a certain point the differences will be subtle. But UE4 will probably handle it all better. The editor might evolve quite gradually from UE3 to UE4, as it always has been in UE.

3. Nevzat

Nevzat Member

not sad news for me

unreal tournament died for me when ut 2003 released

4. brdempsey69

brdempsey69 Original UT Owns !!

Have to agree with this. Plenty of folks felt the same way & looking back on it now, it was the start of the Death March for the UT series.

5. Lostsoul

Lostsoul boobs

not suprised and probably for the best that they don't make another one. Better to have two good UT's and two bad ones than make another mistake.

6. Sir_Brizz

Sir_Brizz Administrator Staff Member

I wouldn't call UT2004 good :p

7. UBerserker

UBerserker old EPIC GAMES

Exactly. UT2k3 was even more enjoyable D:

8. Benfica

Benfica European Redneck

Regardless if you are right or not, those are the kind of comments that killed UT. Always fueling the fire, always enlarging the gap within the community, :deadhorse:, not even once bothering to try to undo the damage.

It's worse on the other ProU forum , but BuF was a tad disappointing for me too :(

Last edited: Jul 25, 2009
  9. Sir_Brizz

Sir_Brizz Administrator Staff Member

I liked UT2003 and UT2004, but I wouldn't exactly call them the shining lights of the series. UT2004 was an attempt to fix UT2003 but in the process broke a lot of other things. It was just not a well balanced game.

However, it did bring variety to the series and it was solidly developed and very moddable. Those are all good things. I wouldn't say any UT game is bad, but some of them are not as good as others in different areas.

10. elmuerte

holy ****... did we just find a time machine? or a worm hole? did we just travel back in time?

I'm sure I've seen this discussion before.

11. Forgetful

Forgetful Here is party?

That quote was from a comment I made back in Febuary 2008. It still rings very true. Epic Games and the PC market are done with.

12. Miko

Miko Mikommander

The community will live on though.

13. Firefly

Firefly United Kingdom is not a country.

+1

Remember that Doom and quake maps are still made.

14. elmuerte

heh... there we trolls way ahead of you and made that claim far before 2008

15. [SAS]Solid Snake

[SAS]Solid Snake New Member

Why are constantly declaring that the PC Market is dead?

16. Alhanalem

Alhanalem Teammember on UT3JB Bangaa Bishop

Maybe the first time ever that I agree with JaFO

17. elmuerte

Because it is, PC Gaming died in 1998. Three years after adventure games died.

18. Bort

Bort nou

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

See you in UT2020 guys.

19. Twrecks

Twrecks Spectacularly Lucky

Well at least it will forever be called the "Unreal Engine", and not something else lame like Epic Licensed Middleware.

20. Northrawn

Northrawn New Member

Even Left4Dead (the first one) had far less content than the shortest Episode (Ep1) of HL2. L4D2 is mostly based on L4D1 and thus needs not as much work.

Amd since "everyone" was dull enough and paid the full price for this budget game with very little content Valce is only clever to put out a second L4D to milk the customers before working on Ep3.