1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Unreal Tournament Shelved For Several Years

Discussion in 'News & Articles' started by hal, Jul 24, 2009.

1. hal

hal Dictator Staff Member

G4 serves up the bad news that the standard bearer for the Unreal Engine, Unreal Tournament, has been shelved for "several years". In separate interviews on that same network, Tim Sweeney and Cliff Bleszinski drop the bomb.

It would seem that, instead, there are currently several unannounced games underway at the studio.

2. Mozi

Mozi Zer0 as a number

3. DannyMeister

DannyMeister UT3 Jailbreak Coder

As long as it is really just several years, I'm neither surprised nor all that disappointed. I do hope they continue to patch UT3 which is a fun game. If player counts picked up, I really don't need a ut4.

4. nELsOn

nELsOn bSnakeCastShadow = True

Now... I just can't resist it. Anyone notice how they explicitly mention the Unreal Tournament franchise instead of the general Unreal franchise??? Huh? :eek:

5. Princess_Die

Princess_Die Always Out Numbered... Never Out Gunned

In other words, there won't be another UT until Unreal Engine 4 (which will be focused on consoles.)

6. Raynor.Z

Raynor.Z Ad Nocendum Potentes Sumus

+1

It doesn't suprise me much. Maybe it's a good thing they will let UT series rest for a while, because I wouldn't like much the idea of new UT game every couple of years.

7. Maximus2003

Maximus2003 New Member

This is actually not that surprising and even though I've been a huge UT fan, I've sort of moved on and away from Epic produced games. Times change and there are better games than the console blockbuster and mainstream games Epic produce these days. If and when a new UT is released I would probably care even less than I do now. :p

Last edited: Jul 24, 2009
  8. Angel_Mapper

Angel_Mapper Goooooooats

But it is delicious bread and butter! You must eat some!

Yeah, not really surprised with this announcement. After the contest I'll probably be making Left 4 Dead 2 maps.

9. Creavion

Creavion New Member

No Unreal 3 in the near future...

10. Mozi

Mozi Zer0 as a number

Hmm... I am learning TF 2 mapping now... perhaps in the future a Left 4 Dead mod team can be made :)

11. UBerserker

UBerserker old EPIC GAMES

Unsurprising. But really, I find it unnecessary to make more UT games. UT1 and UT3 are just enough for me. I look forward to their other stuff.

12. MeanyMortal

MeanyMortal They call me Berjj

Didn't they mention that a new UT game would be released to showcase UE4 and that UE4 wouldn't see the light of day before 2012? I'll just join in on the rest of you who are saying you're not surprised.

13. LivingPuppet

LivingPuppet Registered Puppet

JAZZ JACKRABBIT.

14. Angel_Mapper

Angel_Mapper Goooooooats

Go Team Venture!

[​IMG]

15. JaFO

JaFO bugs are features too ...

Let's see ... invest millions into a game that barely breaks even and that will be smashed to bits by its supposed fans for being 'too consolish'
    or invest millions into a series that is amongst the best games selling ever and shows no signs of slowing down even though there's already been 2 releases ...
    hmm
    if that is considered 'dropping a bomb' ... someone has been hiding under a rock.
    The only suprise is that they are afraid of letting the UT-series die a more permanent death. That would have been a real 'bomb' so to speak.

16. r1esG0

r1esG0 Unreal Engine Padawan

I preffer quality over quantity.
    At this point, i feel the current ut3 is the deatchmath game i need, and there is no need for a newer ut.

Of course a new ut with the arrival of the future UE4 will be a must.

17. vybz

vybz New Member

I hope their future titles support user generated content!!

18. Fordy

Fordy Member

Well that's it then, the last nail in the UT coffin has been hammered home with the biggest hammer possible.

It's really saddened me to see the slow death of UT unfold over the last couple of years, but when I do read the forums (which is quite a lot) it still give me a warm tingly feeling inside to all the old regulars from the good old days when UT was king.

Ah well, it's been a good ride while it lasted, here's to you all :cheers:

So long and thanks for all the fish!

19. Lruce Bee

Lruce Bee Transcending to another level

I'm not at all surprised to hear this.
    It was difficult to see where the Unreal Tournament series was heading and it was suffering terribly from franchise fatigue.
    I think it's fair to say that the on-line community is not what it used to be and the mapping community died years ago - some die hard mappers hung around but it was never the same.
    But it's already been mentioned, people have moved on to bigger and better games and the UT game just can't compete with the other awesome multiplayer titles that have surfaced over the last 18 months or so.
    We may see this ip appear in the far future but the timing has to be right and it will need to impact in a big way, just like the original Unreal did all those years ago.

Lruce

20. Angel_Mapper

Angel_Mapper Goooooooats

And in case I don't see ya in another community, good afternoon good evening and good night! [​IMG]