Unreal Tournament Shelved For Several Years

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
G4 serves up the bad news that the standard bearer for the Unreal Engine, Unreal Tournament, has been shelved for "several years". In separate interviews on that same network, Tim Sweeney and Cliff Bleszinski drop the bomb.

Sweeney: "Unreal Tournament is certainly a major long-term priority but we're planning not to release a major retail game in the series for several years"

Cliff: Bleszinski also gives word on the fact that not only does it seem like the studio is going to be putting the Unreal Tournament franchise on the shelf for a while, and there most likely will be another Gears title or further Gears of War 2 DLC coming...

It would seem that, instead, there are currently several unannounced games underway at the studio.

DannyMeister

UT3 Jailbreak Coder
Dec 11, 2002
Bolivar, Missouri
As long as it is really just several years, I'm neither surprised nor all that disappointed. I do hope they continue to patch UT3 which is a fun game. If player counts picked up, I really don't need a ut4.

Princess_Die

Always Out Numbered... Never Out Gunned
Feb 22, 2006
In other words, there won't be another UT until Unreal Engine 4 (which will be focused on consoles.)

Raynor.Z

Ad Nocendum Potentes Sumus
Feb 1, 2006

+1

It doesn't suprise me much. Maybe it's a good thing they will let UT series rest for a while, because I wouldn't like much the idea of new UT game every couple of years.

Maximus2003

Mar 25, 2003
South Africa
This is actually not that surprising and even though I've been a huge UT fan, I've sort of moved on and away from Epic produced games. Times change and there are better games than the console blockbuster and mainstream games Epic produce these days. If and when a new UT is released I would probably care even less than I do now. :p

Last edited:

UBerserker

old EPIC GAMES
Jan 20, 2008
Unsurprising. But really, I find it unnecessary to make more UT games. UT1 and UT3 are just enough for me. I look forward to their other stuff.

MeanyMortal

They call me Berjj
Oct 2, 2004
Sweden
Didn't they mention that a new UT game would be released to showcase UE4 and that UE4 wouldn't see the light of day before 2012? I'll just join in on the rest of you who are saying you're not surprised.

Angel_Mapper

Goooooooats
Jun 17, 2001
Cape Suzette
www.angelmapper.com
Hmm... I am learning TF 2 mapping now... perhaps in the future a Left 4 Dead mod team can be made :)
Go Team Venture!

GoTeamVenture.jpg

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
Let's see ... invest millions into a game that barely breaks even and that will be smashed to bits by its supposed fans for being 'too consolish'
or invest millions into a series that is amongst the best games selling ever and shows no signs of slowing down even though there's already been 2 releases ...
hmm
if that is considered 'dropping a bomb' ... someone has been hiding under a rock.
The only suprise is that they are afraid of letting the UT-series die a more permanent death. That would have been a real 'bomb' so to speak.

r1esG0

Unreal Engine Padawan
Feb 4, 2008
Seville, Spain
I preffer quality over quantity.
At this point, i feel the current ut3 is the deatchmath game i need, and there is no need for a newer ut.

Of course a new ut with the arrival of the future UE4 will be a must.

Fordy

Jul 10, 2001
York, UK
www.planetunreal.com
Well that's it then, the last nail in the UT coffin has been hammered home with the biggest hammer possible.

It's really saddened me to see the slow death of UT unfold over the last couple of years, but when I do read the forums (which is quite a lot) it still give me a warm tingly feeling inside to all the old regulars from the good old days when UT was king.

Ah well, it's been a good ride while it lasted, here's to you all :cheers:

So long and thanks for all the fish!

Lruce Bee

Transcending to another level
May 3, 2001
Sherwood Forest
I'm not at all surprised to hear this.
It was difficult to see where the Unreal Tournament series was heading and it was suffering terribly from franchise fatigue.
I think it's fair to say that the on-line community is not what it used to be and the mapping community died years ago - some die hard mappers hung around but it was never the same.
But it's already been mentioned, people have moved on to bigger and better games and the UT game just can't compete with the other awesome multiplayer titles that have surfaced over the last 18 months or so.
We may see this ip appear in the far future but the timing has to be right and it will need to impact in a big way, just like the original Unreal did all those years ago.

Lruce

Angel_Mapper

Goooooooats
Jun 17, 2001
Cape Suzette
www.angelmapper.com
Well that's it then, the last nail in the UT coffin has been hammered home with the biggest hammer possible.

It's really saddened me to see the slow death of UT unfold over the last couple of years, but when I do read the forums (which is quite a lot) it still give me a warm tingly feeling inside to all the old regulars from the good old days when UT was king.

Ah well, it's been a good ride while it lasted, here's to you all :cheers:

So long and thanks for all the fish!
And in case I don't see ya in another community, good afternoon good evening and good night!
heart.gif