1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Unreal Tournament Shelved For Several Years

Discussion in 'News & Articles' started by hal, Jul 24, 2009.

1. Hedge-o-Matic

Hedge-o-Matic New Member

I'm a bit relieved to hear this, actually. UT3 is a great time, but the title is clearly headed downhill in the esteem and enthusiasm of the fanbase. For many of us, UT1 was a real turning point in gaming, and it was simply too high a bar to top each time, so the feeling was of greater and greater disappointment, for the most part.

That said, I hope people will keep playing UT3 online until the resurrection of the series.

2. Phopojijo

Phopojijo A Loose Screw

comment++ comment++ comment++

3. IceCreamYou

IceCreamYou disseminator of awesome

4. JohnDoe641

JohnDoe641 Killer Fools Pro Staff Member

I'm glad they aren't making another UT. With the player count as pathetic as it is in UT3, it wouldn't make any sense to make another game so soon.

5. Alopexau

Alopexau New Member

Really, what more could be added to the core of UT to warrant another sequel at this point? Isn't it better to update and tweak the current game as they have been?

6. phatcat

phatcat akward cat

We'll meet again
    We'll meet again,
    Don't know where,
    Don't know when
    But I know we'll meet again some sunny day
    Keep smiling through,
    Just like you always do
    Till the blue skies drive the dark clouds far away

[​IMG]

7. PsyXandeR

PsyXandeR Member

I wouldn't call those bad news. Epic clearly needs to do something else as UT series has clearly gone downhill. The only thing that worries me though is that they might step away from PC infavor of Xbox360 but hopefully that won't happen. :)

8. [VaLkyR]Assassin

[VaLkyR]Assassin Kidneythieves and Poets of The Fall Fan

While it is a shame, UT hasn't appealed to me as much in the past couple of years anyway, and I tend to play it (any version) less and less.

9. FX-

FX- SuperFX in UT3

yeah, I don't need a new game, just more players for the current one :(
    give the game away! :p

10. Leo(T.C.K.)

Leo(T.C.K.) Well-Known Member

But that is just Unreal Tournament. What about if they will do another Unreal game or spinoff or maybe new Unreal Championship meanwhile? Or hire another studio to do some spinoff or sequel.

11. q_mi_4_3

q_mi_4_3 Target pratice for others....

I doubt they will even bother making Unreal Championship when they already have Gears as their top console franchise. I'm not disappointed in Epic not working on an other UT title, since this franchise could probably use a break and not be oversaturated. I'm only sad that this will mean Epic will probably step away from PC gaming all together and work only on Gears and other Xbox-only titles like Shadow Complex.

12. Alhanalem

Alhanalem Teammember on UT3JB Bangaa Bishop

I actually kind of agree that unreal needs to take a break.

13. Jackal

Jackal Crapass

So we all already know that they are working on GoW3 and the new DLC is soon to be released (as already posted awhile back).

So if they are working on a new title (which will undoubtably be console (only?)) I am curious as to what it might be. Well, not that curious. But curious a little. I just hope they aren't planning on a GoW clone.

I do think a MMO is a possibility. Their engine seems to work perfect for it, so maybe a step in the direction that does have high-er sales might be in the works.

Or maybe they are going to just stick with GoW universe and kill it dead, since that's their source of income now (besides the engine of course)

14. Tre`

Tre` New Member

This can't be life.

15. hieloco

hieloco Member

Ahhh... well another one would have been irrelevant, anyways.

16. Manticore

Manticore Official BUF Birthday Spammer

Particularly when UT3 has taken proves the format has gone as far as it can go..........

I still have UT installed on one machine and play it as regularly, or more regularly, than UT3.

UT2K4 gets a look in now and then.

As has been said this news is no surprise. I'm surprised they didn't blame it on the Global Financial Crisis; everyone else does...........

17. Majik

Majik blargh

It saddens me to hear this, but it's for the best really. There's just not much place for UT in the current market, I'm afraid, with games like CoD, TF2 and L4D (not to mention Halo and GoW on 360 and Killzone 2 on PS3) dominating the FPS multiplayer market. Whenever they do feel like going back to it, I really hope they time it a lot better than they did with UT3. Maybe then UT will also feel fresh again with all of these realism shooters saturating the market, who knows.

At least they didn't rule out Unreal 3. I know the chances of seeing that any time soon are slim, but the hope is still alive! :p

18. DorDuke82

DorDuke82 New Member

Uhm sorry to say that, but that did already happen - the Unreal Engine 3 was designed around the 360 and Gears of War, the Unreal Engine 3.5 is 360only for the moment, Shadow Complex is 360 only and well dont get me started on UT3 and what it did to UT's Fanbase (who would have thought that after UT2kX we get an even bigger drama in the fanbase with UT3)

Now i await another CliffyB Interview, for a longtime he didnt say anything about how the pc fanbase, the pc-gaming as a whole and pirates are the reason for all this while completly neglecting the fact that his company just screwed some things up royaly.

Would be cool though if they would indeed be doing Unreal3, but thats something i cant just see with the company that now is Epic Games. The Only things i see are a bunch of 360 exclusives and the People Can Fly 360,PS3,PC Titel (and maybe even the People Can Fly Game will go to the way of 360-only - its been a long time since we heared anything about it).

19. _Lynx

_Lynx Strategic Military Services Staff Member

3.5 is not X360 only - we just know that GoW2 was the first game using it, however we don't know if any other cross-platform UE3 game uses v3.5 or not. But that doesn't mean 3.5 is X360 only.

20. DorDuke82

DorDuke82 New Member

Well thats what i meant when i said "for the moment" - Gears of War 2 is the only game we know that uses it - so for the time being its on 360only - just shows that their focus has long been gone away from PC to 360, a large overhaul to their engine and its only to be seen on console.
    And even if other Companys cross-plattform titles will feature UE3.5 it tells you something about Epics priorities if they are not the company that bring it to PC via a own title.