psst, news posted

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Burger

Lookin' down the iron-sights...
Aug 9, 2004
Brisbane, Australia
a question: how much mb usage is HL2 and the other stoff that goes with it? I have ADSL and a 200mb limit. This is gonna limit things here, huh?

Btw, good luck SS, i hope you make it a kickass game.

and keep in mind what chuckus said:
Chuckus said:
Great models...would be nice
Real sounds...sure why not
But that Infiltration spirit - now THAT'S a must.

Nice pic, Odie3... :lol:

geogob

Koohii o nomimasu ka?
Burger said:
a question: how much mb usage is HL2 and the other stoff that goes with it? I have ADSL and a 200mb limit. This is gonna limit things here, huh?

My install folder for steam is about 10 Gb. but in there I got HL2, CS:source, HL:source, HL2:DM CS:Cond. zero, CS, HL, Opposing Force...

HL2 alone would be 4 Gb I guess (from the size of the packages and other stuff).

If you are capped in download, even if the download are compressed, i would recommand the you buy the CD/DVD distro.

mario

Nov 28, 2001
Austin, TX
Visit site
so long, thanks for the good times, I wish your team luck

I will start off by saying thank you to the Sentry Studios team. I have had many a good time playing Infiltration over the last few years. I wish you all good luck for your future versions.

I'm another one of those who refuses to buy half Life 2 because of it's dependance on Steam. Actually, I am not buying or supporting any game, present or future, that depends on Steam to function. So I'm disappointed that the future of Infiltration is going to the Source engine, because I know I will be staying away from it.

Again, so long, thanks for the good times, I wish your team luck.

Burger

Aug 9, 2004
Brisbane, Australia
is it possible for INF3.0 to work and not be dependent on steam?

Sorry if it's a noob question, but what exactly is steam, and what does it do?

And another, Will the next reincarnation of inf be just as customizable? i.e. 2.9 has (to date) a large amount of third-party mutators that enhanced the game. It also was easy to create new weapons and equipment, and player skins. Is it gonna be as customizable?

And lastly, how easy wil it be to create maps?
Will there be any 2.9 map reincarnations?

Keganator

White as Snow Moderator
Jun 19, 2001
PR's Barracks
www.kegnet.net
http://www.steampowered.com

Steam is the system that Valve uses to distribute its games, Half Life and Half Life 2 directly to your computer. Source is the next generation engine that Valve is using to make Half Life 2.

And yes, using steam will make the game a little less customizable by third party developers. Only Unreal has the concept of "mutators"...it wouldn't really fit well into games that don't use a scripting language to manage ingame content. Source uses c++ to do its games and mods, so in order for the community to modify Infiltration, we'll either need to have access to the source code, be really creative, or have some sort of other built in mechanism (either created by the team or one I'm unaware of) to 'mutate' the game.

ant75

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Jan 11, 2001
Paris
Ok now you got me worried about future gametypes... *prays that dtas will not disappear*

Burger

Aug 9, 2004
Brisbane, Australia
Keganator said:
so in order for the community to modify Infiltration, we'll either need to have access to the source code, be really creative, or have some sort of other built in mechanism (either created by the team or one I'm unaware of) to 'mutate' the game.

Hopefully, the absolutely awesome coding geniuses at Sentry Studios are listening...

As far as I know, infiltration is the most customizable game i know of. Moving to an engine that doesn't support mutators/additions AS WELL AS (i'm not saying HL2 won't, cause in the end, murphy's law will kick me in the behind for saying that)the Unreal engine will most likely kill most of the third party additions that has made INF so good.

My patrioticness for INF is pretty strong, but unless SS make a fully kickass version 3.0 to start with (complete with a large amount of STUFF to choose from) .... INF is gonna loose a large amount of people.

Arethusa

We will not walk in fear.
Jan 15, 2004
Keep in mind that there was a customization scene for Half-Life despite its lack of a mutator function, and Half-Life 2 will keep that alive. It's more media customization (which, ironically, is next to impossible in any Unreal series game), but it's there. As for mutators coded into Half-Life 2, well, we'll see.

Also, Infiltration cannot lose a large amount of people. We have, what, eight left?

Jul 26, 2003
Australia
Keganator said:
so in order for the community to modify Infiltration, we'll either need to have access to the source code, be really creative, or have some sort of other built in mechanism (either created by the team or one I'm unaware of) to 'mutate' the game.

HL2 has an external script file system which i hope we'll be able to take advantage of in Source Inf to make it as customisable as UT Inf.

Vega-don

arreté pour detention de tomate prohibée
Mar 17, 2003
Paris suburbs
Visit site
keihaswarrior said:
NOT so not so. To all the naysayers: .. LONG LIVE INF :p

check it out from last Sunday vvvvvvv

OMG bastille, my conversion ! Still played!
:D

i dont see why people would leave inf because they dont like half life or steam . You need to realize it is just videogames.
ill follow. inf is so much a great game. but i havent finished playing 2.9 yet

Christian West

Jan 11, 2005
I'm actually a big fan of steam. I have yet to have a single problem with it, and developers will eventually all being doing something along those lines. It increases profit margins, and cuts out a lot of contact with publishers. although granted its highly unlikely it will takeover normal distribution routes as publishers generally fund development and are kind of needed :D

Apr 21, 2003
Europe
@Keganator:
So what about coded mods for the mod INF, which is a coded mod for HL2? :D

Burger said:
INF is gonna loose a large amount of people
I doubt that. Some ppl here decided to leave, but who knows, they can return. Some ppl are on 56k (as me for now) and it is a matter of possibility, that they will be forced to leave, without to want it. :(

Otherwise INF will get more players! But I pray to Allah they are not stupid CS kiddies and *******s :D

Arethusa said:
Also, Infiltration cannot lose a large amount of people. We have, what, eight left?
No me here, so 9!!! :D :D

Freaon said:
don, Steam is not a mere video game, it's a tool of the devil.
Absolutely right. Freon, so you votet against Source and the team ignored you?

Just curious, can you release the official Sentry Studios Vote for Source?
Guess we will se 55% versus 45%, LOL :D :D :D

@Christian West:
If I would have DSL, I think I would be a fan of STEAM too :D, otherwise it is a tool of the devil :D.

(SDS)benmcl

Why not visit us here in the real world.
May 13, 2002
Visit site
Ok but what I would like to know is:

Can a third party group create new content for Infiltration like they do now or is there going to be restrictions. I am pretty sure mappers will be fine since I read the Beppo post but what about groups like the mod team or other mutators what is the OFFICIAL word on this type of content.

fist_mlrs

that other guy
Jan 4, 2001
Zittau, Germany
www.fistmlrs.com
there is no mutator system for hl2, so a free third party addon development as we have it now is proppably not going to happen. im quite shure you can create a few hookups for minimods, so additional content should be possible, but its unlikely there will be anything affecting the gameplay on a larger scale, as did, for example, ra.