UTXMP HUD

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ðork

Dork online, since '99
Jun 19, 2001
Switzerland
IndianPsycho said:
How is the radar "useless" if it LOOKS like the ONS radar but still shows all the info the U2XMP radar has?

btw, have you ever played WoT?
If it's not the red/blue compass and doesn't spin (and maybe isn't scalable either,) then it doesn't show all the info the U2XMP radar has.

Admittedly, I can't really imagine how it can look like the ONS "radar". From what I remember of that from the UT2K4 demo, the player is represented by a little green triangle. The minimap stays in the same orientation while the triangle points to the side of the map that you are facing and creeps about it as you move. While it did induce some nostalgia of late 1970's arcade games, it is also one of the most childish things I have ever seen in a first person shooter.
Please say UTXMP won't be like that.

re. WoT, only a few thousand hours so probably not enough to count. Why?

Aaron on the fourms, somethings up. anywho, it should stay on the bottom. i mean, who wants to look up, then down, up, down, up down, to see all your info. those few milliseconds are time wasted. if most of your info is at the bottom of the screen then you should keep the radar thing located in the same area. however this is comeing from the guy who has never ONCE used the radar for XMP

Dandeloreon1984

CXP Director
Jan 31, 2004
I would like to see the hud with the classic look, but as an option, but a little bit more modernised... namely just adding a few changes.

classic hud changes, if any are needed....
  • Move the radar to the upper right corner
  • move the weapon select list to the bottom
  • add the location beakon to the top just below the location
  • move the player in vehicle list to just below the health
  • add better support for team colors

Dragon_Myr

Mar 4, 2004
Damnit, just have a toggle in the options menu as to what HUD style you want; UTXMP, classic, or UTXMPclassic. Or give the player the complete ability to move individual HUD items around and place them different ways (see Need For Speed 3).

There, problem solved for everyone. :B

Last edited:

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
waste. of. time.

few people would use the original HUD (in fact only people that are so vehemtn about it here, about 20 people) out of hopefully more than 100 people playing the game. Not worth the time to make it.

Dragon_Myr

Mar 4, 2004
Sir_Brizz said:
waste. of. time.

few people would use the original HUD (in fact only people that are so vehemtn about it here, about 20 people) out of hopefully more than 100 people playing the game. Not worth the time to make it.

The people here are a representable selection of the total population that will play this mod. So about 20% of the people here want the original XMP HUD back...
If 100__ players play UTXMP then 20__ will probably want the XMP HUD.
If 1000_ players play UTXMP then 200_ will probably want the XMP HUD.
If 5000_ players play UTXMP then 1000 will probably want the XMP HUD.
If 10000 players play UTXMP then 2000 will probably want the XMP HUD.

With the more people that play UTXMP then the more that will likely want the original XMP HUD. It doesn't hurt to cater to that audience who want to play a revived version of XMP that actually has support this time. It's a waste of time if you're doing it for only 20 players, but if you're reviving the XMP HUD for 200, 1000, or more players who don't visit BUF then it is definitely worth it. A toggle wouldn't be too hard to implement minus the time consuming task of configuring each different HUD. FMI seems to be in no rush to get UTXMP out so I say do it right and include something for everyone, be it die-hard XMP fans or people trying out another mod for UT2004 called UTXMP.

I still support the HUD design in the first post of this thread, personally. But I can see why people would want the original XMP HUD. A toggle between the two would at least end this debate over HUD design.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Dragon_Myr said:
The people here are a representable selection of the total population that will play this mod. So about 20% of the people here want the original XMP HUD back...
If 100__ players play UTXMP then 20__ will probably want the XMP HUD.
If 1000_ players play UTXMP then 200_ will probably want the XMP HUD.
If 5000_ players play UTXMP then 1000 will probably want the XMP HUD.
If 10000 players play UTXMP then 2000 will probably want the XMP HUD.

With the more people that play UTXMP then the more that will likely want the original XMP HUD. It doesn't hurt to cater to that audience who want to play a revived version of XMP that actually has support this time. It's a waste of time if you're doing it for only 20 players, but if you're reviving the XMP HUD for 200, 1000, or more players who don't visit BUF then it is definitely worth it. A toggle wouldn't be too hard to implement minus the time consuming task of configuring each different HUD. FMI seems to be in no rush to get UTXMP out so I say do it right and include something for everyone, be it die-hard XMP fans or people trying out another mod for UT2004 called UTXMP.

I still support the HUD design in the first post of this thread, personally. But I can see why people would want the original XMP HUD. A toggle between the two would at least end this debate over HUD design.
I don't agree. It would take approximately 2-3 weeks to render and implement a completely different HUD. FMI is in a hurry to get the mod ready for beta testing, at which point the beta team can decide how well the HUD works. I personally think a HUD that is too confusing (aka the original HUD) is a terrible idea for the Mod. I ALSO think that any more than one HUD design is a terrible idea. The option to move and scale HUD elements is a good idea, but different HUDs are not. The only thing I would recommend is having the Weapons as text instead of pictures if they intend to keep them on the side of the screen.

takwu

cXp coder Tak®
Feb 5, 2004
www.mif.vu.lt
things to add
- the original hud is much smaller, especially at the top. It minimizes amount of stuff blocked from view
- having a radar/minimap up top will block a lot more snipers/turrets/carriers from your view. radar at the bottom blocks the ground/your car/your weapon
- the suggestion for a "classic" hud option is NOT ONLY for certain group of current XMP players. While Myr's estimate is reasonable, for all we know the old hud can become even more popular than the new one among all future UTXMP players. Especially if the argument is learning curve (new) versus versatility (old), people will eventually learn both easy and hard ways and pick the one that gives them an advantage
- if you cannot comfortably see all corners of your screen at the same time, either your screen is too big or you are sitting too close :)
- I agree with adding deploy point ownership information just like gens. They are equally important so we should see both
- customizable hud is great. Instead of using UI scripts like U2, it can also be implemented thru ini editing, similar to how the browser saves ui settings in the ini file. I would think it is relatively little work to get a lot of praise

Mantik

Master Beta
Apr 2, 2004
Philthy
takwu said:
things to add
- the original hud is much smaller, especially at the top. It minimizes amount of stuff blocked from view
- having a radar/minimap up top will block a lot more snipers/turrets/carriers from your view. radar at the bottom blocks the ground/your car/your weapon

That is the only issue I care about. And it's a damn good point "radar in a similar location to Onslaught" be damned. This is not fuggin Onslaught ;)

Dandeloreon1984

CXP Director
Jan 31, 2004
I still say this, leave it up to modders to help fix the problem, because i am certain they can create an alternate hud system that is interesting :).

Status
Not open for further replies.