UTXMP HUD

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Origim

Aug 18, 2004
Well, I don't know...

I also believe weapon selection window is TOO large. I suggest making it atleast two times smaller.

NRK

Nercury
Apr 20, 2004
Lithuania
Origim said:
Well, I don't know...

I also believe weapon selection window is TOO large. I suggest making it atleast two times smaller.

As you know, you dont see that window all the time.

MÆST

Jan 28, 2001
WA, USA
Sir_Brizz said:
!!!!!!!! Can't you people read????? NEW PLAYERS FROM UT2k4 (99.9% of the userbase) WILL NOT BE USED TO AN XMP-TYPE HUD!!!
and?

(if they want to play they are going to have to get used to it. The HUD they are used to ... one with just health, shield, frags, weapons etc. would be of little use in XMP. Once you know the basics of XMP the purpose of the different parts of the HUD ought to just follow suit)

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Xaero said:
Brizz, keep in mind most of the ppl from XMP dont play 2k4.
all 10 of them? :p

The idea of the mod is to attract NEW players. If they load up UTXMP and see way too much information, they will be overwhelmed (VERY EASILY) and will stop playing. If thing are in familiar location (no matter how they look) then it will be easier to get used to the mechanics of the game. With UTXMP you should be able to jump right in, but if they have to get used to a completely different HUD, I guarantee it will rive people away.

Dandeloreon1984

CXP Director
Jan 31, 2004
all i haft to say bout hte hud now that i notice is that the vehicle player section and weapon selection should be in the same location as xmp had it :)

Mantik

Master Beta
Apr 2, 2004
Philthy
[BBF]Mantik said:
blah blah blah.. favoring the other alternative HUD that some people use in u2xmp more than the original.. blah blah blah

Zilch HUD, sorry. Forgot the name.

Ðork

Dork online, since '99
Jun 19, 2001
Switzerland
Sir_Brizz said:
. . .
The idea of the mod is to attract NEW players.
. . .
Where does it say that? I thought the main idea was that XMP should continue to exist for those who love it.
If quantity of players is the only factor, UTXMP should be scrapped and a port to CS started.

CaSCaDe

gaem freak in 3 dimensions
Apr 7, 2000
somewhere you are not!
www.bart.ahk.nl
the thinig that annoyed me with the old hud was taht information was all over the place, hence why i designed this to have all essential info on yourself to be to gether and all team info on the other side, this is mainly so taht yuo can have a good idea of how you are doing in one simple glance, its annoying (IMO) to have to glance over the entire screen to just get a little information about your self, wich was the case with u2xmp, as for the suggestions that where amde here about the new new hud, they get back to the "info all over the place" thing

Oh_Duh

{NB}Tenacity
Feb 24, 2004
Skatcher said:
changes done ( forgot radar last time :rolleyes: )

[SCREENSHOT]http://img34.exs.cx/img34/7561/HUD_V2_57.jpg[/SCREENSHOT]

I like this. The minimalistic approach.

I find trying to navigate with the radar in top corner annoying in 2k4.
I end up leaning to one side and tilting my head while trying to follow it.

If the radar were in the bottom center I think that would be a big improvement.

I have to admit, Sir Brizz might have a point. Hopefully we will be attracting more 2k4 players over to utxmp than will be coming from xmp. If I have to adjust for the sake of gaining more players then I am willing to do that.

NRK

Nercury
Apr 20, 2004
Lithuania
CaSCaDe said:
the thinig that annoyed me with the old hud was taht information was all over the place, hence why i designed this to have all essential info on yourself to be to gether and all team info on the other side, this is mainly so taht yuo can have a good idea of how you are doing in one simple glance, its annoying (IMO) to have to glance over the entire screen to just get a little information about your self, wich was the case with u2xmp, as for the suggestions that where amde here about the new new hud, they get back to the "info all over the place" thing

I like your idea CaSCaDe, but i think radar in botom center would be the best.

GotBeer?

The nozzle is now calibrating
Mar 10, 2004
57th State
Changes to the HUD will not be substained! (Sorry, Mantik)

Honestly, I like Skatcher's version best. Map needs to be bottom center for ease of viewing (how many people here have tried driving one of those Toyotas with the speedo in the center of the dash? Very distracting.) Also, do we really want players in XMP that are easily confused by "more information" than 2k4 offers?

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Ðork said:
Where does it say that? I thought the main idea was that XMP should continue to exist for those who love it.
If quantity of players is the only factor, UTXMP should be scrapped and a port to CS started.
So all 20-30 people that are posting in these forums is all of the people that you want playing UTXMP?

Even if it was similar to U2XMPs heyday, we're only talking 99-150 playersa max.

I personally would like to ATTRACT NEW BLOOD. And not scare them off with a confusing HUD.

Zaknafein

XMP Beta Tester
Oct 2, 2003
Visit site
CaSCaDe said:

Info being spread out, but divided up such that similar information is bundled together is better then bunching a lot of unrelated things together to use less screen.

Using my example HUD above, I know that everything weapon related is in the upper left part of my screen... so, if I wanted to know about my weapons I can glance there without the need to search through a whole bunch of unrelated information to get what I need. If I want to know about my team I look to my lower right, for my personal information my lower left, and for map information my upper right.

The less information I have to sort through to get what I need, the faster I can get back to paying attention to the game.

In conclusion, It is my believe that be dividing the screen into quadrants and specializing each quadrant to specific game related information makes for faster and more efficient game play.

Xaero

Who Dey!
Oct 11, 2003
Cincinnati
www.xaero.us
God, why do you all insist the radar be at the bottom center? From what weve been told, the radar/minimap will be similar to the ONS map...in that case, bottom center makes no sense. Its not going to have the red/blue compass that spins to point you to the bases...and that was the only benefit of having it bottom center. The UT:XMP radar will be far better off top-corner with the ONS type radar.

And why must people automatically hate it if its different? Just because it doesn't look "just like U2:XMP" doesnt mean its bad. If UT:XMP cant bring in new players and new blood, then whats the point of even making it? The piss-poor attitudes of the most of u2:xmp players sure aren't going to make any thriving community.

Status
Not open for further replies.