Michael Capps Replies To Greg Costikyan's Accusations Of Overworking Employees

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Angel_Mapper

Goooooooats
Jun 17, 2001
Cape Suzette
www.angelmapper.com
I think this discussion has been blown a bit out of proportion. Having ideals that prioritize the people you love before your work isn't strange. Sometimes those ideals don't mesh very well with the work situation, but it's give and take. How people can respond strangely/negatively to someone not wanting their home situation to suffer because of work is beyond me.
Besides, preferring to work 40 hour weeks instead of more and actually making a fuss over having to work a few hours more for a few weeks are 2 completely different things.
That, but with 50% more popping Vicodin and 100% more limping away on a cane. :p

-Entropy-

Feb 14, 2008
It's weird how people think going through crunch and working overtime is some kind of badge of honor that makes them more passionate about a project.

You've completely missed my point (and taken phrases out of context). For me (again, this is just me I'm talking about, not the industry) making games is more than just a job. I compeletely throw myself into it, and that gives me "pride of ownership".

Do I love it more than my family? Absolutely not.
Do I expect anyone on my staff to put in overtime without compensation? Absolutely not.
Would I consider them any less passionate simply because they worked their 40 and went home? Absolutely not.

I think maybe we're vehemently agreeing on most points. :)

Your also a lead level designer aren't you? Or am I mistaken :B

Yes, but I wasn't always. And that doesn't have any bearing on the rest of this.

I don't see why anyone would whine about being put into over time in this industry.

Ah now see, thats the crux of things. I absolutely DO think people should whine about it. And whine loudly. Why would you ever let someone walk all over you? Just because I care about something doesn't mean that I want it to consume me. Just because I'm passionate, that doesn't give my employer the right to take advantage of me.

So what is the best mentality to have if youre looking to be in the games industry? Do you just put up and shut up or do you take a stance?

IMO, take a stance. Just be sure that you're not speaking from assumptions or second hand knolwedge.

My whole point in defending Mike / Epic is that I think Epic is the exception to all this craziness; but because Mike spoke out about it, he's being (unjustly) villifed. He does not deserve to be the scapegoat. There's a lot of venom directed toward him in these forums by people who have absolutely no understanding of him, what he does, or often times, how the industry even works. He is not the reason you didn't like UT. He is not the reason that Epic has made business decisions that you do not agree with. He is certainly not a "dickhead manager" (or whatever that quote was that started all this). Quite the opposite in fact, on all accounts.

Last edited:

Krymzon74

Dec 30, 2008
I'm much happier since I left my cubicle behind for more reasonable people and expectations. I work in health care now and find it much more rewarding.

Crunch time? pffft! How about, "When it's done." :D

Angel_Mapper

Goooooooats
Jun 17, 2001
Cape Suzette
www.angelmapper.com
You've completely missed my point (and taken phrases out of context). For me (again, this is just me I'm talking about, not the industry) making games is more than just a job. I compeletely throw myself into it, and that gives me "pride of ownership".

Do I love it more than my family? Absolutely not.
Do I expect anyone on my staff to put in overtime without compensation? Absolutely not.
Would I consider them any less passionate simply because they worked their 40 and went home? Absolutely not.

I think maybe we're vehemently agreeing on most points. :)
Fair enough, I was probably misunderstanding something then.

evilmrfrank

Banned
Apr 22, 2005
Florida, US
www.evilmrfrank.com
Not pessimist. Creating games is hard work. You should know this.
I don't accept people labeling my line of work as something that cannot be called work.

I guess I'm just starting to think I let leads walk over me to much, maybe I just don't care cause I enjoy my work too much, either way I see I need to get my priorities in check XD

elmuerte

Master of Science
Jan 25, 2000
the Netherlands
elmuerte.com
I'm much happier since I left my cubicle behind for more reasonable people and expectations. I work in health care now and find it much more rewarding.

Pff... my awesomeness is more than enough reward.

I don't accept people labeling my line of work as something that cannot be called work.

FYI, I wasn't labeling your line of work as something that cannot be called work. Just stating that things go down hill when you're labeling things as "work".

elmuerte

Master of Science
Jan 25, 2000
the Netherlands
elmuerte.com
Things start to go downhill when people offer other people money to do what they love. ;)

Wait... that's a bit ambiguous. Who is "they"? Also, for who are things going down hill? The person paying or the person receiving? And what are things?

And, to add injury to insult. Work is like an uphill battle, so going downhill makes "things" easier.

(Anybody not getting confused?)

Last edited: