Michael Capps Replies To Greg Costikyan's Accusations Of Overworking Employees

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Sjosz

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Dec 31, 2003
Edmonton, AB
www.dregsld.com
Well it could be taken from recordings then typed so perhaps something got lost in the translation and he did actually state there isnt only a single platform. If he did though, thats the biggest **** up Ive seen come out of an Epic employee's mouth ever@!

Hey if he can be a grammar/spelling nazi, so can I! Hell I dont need a degree to make a mistake like that :lol:

But yeah I am alittle miffed okay, when the CEO of Epic (thats correct isnt it?) states something like that ignoring the existance of the game on other platforms. Referring to that platform as "the platform" well it really does make you wonder as to their commitment to other platforms. Sure it might be a mistake but if he wasnt a dickhead manager he might fess up and admit he made a mistake. What you think of that?

I think you didn't take the time to properly think about what was said. Gears2 being a title exclusive to 360, 'the platform' simply the describes the platform Gears2 was released on. If you're going to try and diss someone then do it where it actually applies.

Sjosz

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Dec 31, 2003
Edmonton, AB
www.dregsld.com
Sorry I missed the part about GoW2, I get it guys jesus! How about I point you out a platform and you tell me if Epic has a game on it or not!

Michael Capps Replies To Greg Costikyan's Accusations Of Overworking Employees

Is the title of this thread, not GOW2!GOW2 is old news!

GOW GOW GOW blah blah GOW PLATFORM!

Now, Capps has responded to these accusations:

Joystiq interview: Epic's Mike Capps responds to accusations of 'exploitative' working conditions

Games like Gears, you know, it's one of the best reviewed games of all time on the platform. You don't get a game out like that with a bunch of people who don't have any passion about the quality of the product and don't want to spend that one extra night.

Scuse me for thinking Gears was on PC as well!

Take a chill pill, dude. :/

Angel_Mapper

Goooooooats
Jun 17, 2001
Cape Suzette
www.angelmapper.com
Here's your problem. Find something passionate and rewarding. Not just "a job".
You're not understanding that it can be both. As much as I love game design I'm not willing to sacrifice my entire life to it. Would you want to hang around someone you loved 24/7 forever?

We don't work on someone else's project
Unless you own a company, you're always working on someone else's project. :B

-Entropy-

Feb 14, 2008
Unless you own a company, you're always working on someone else's project. :B

That is the perfect example of "just a job" mentality.

I design levels, write dialogue and story, work on gametypes, weapons, characters, the engine, talk to licencees, manage teams, create schedules, and pour blood sweat and tears into every single thing Epic does. Good or bad, you better effing believe its my project.

When I had my first industry job, I did nothing but (apprentice!) design levels. FWIW, even though I was only a small cog in the EQ machine, that too, was my project. And if it wasn't, I worked every day to MAKE it my own.

Northrawn

Feb 21, 2009

I design levels, write dialogue and story, work on gametypes, weapons, characters, the engine, talk to licencees, manage teams, create schedules, and pour blood sweat and tears into every single thing Epic does. Good or bad, you better effing believe its my project.

When I had my first industry job, I did nothing but (apprentice!) design levels. FWIW, even though I was only a small cog in the EQ machine, that too, was my project. And if it wasn't, I worked every day to MAKE it my own.

Very true words.

Angel_Mapper

Goooooooats
Jun 17, 2001
Cape Suzette
www.angelmapper.com

I design levels, ... and pour blood sweat and tears into every single thing Epic does.
And you think I don't? It's weird how people think going through crunch and working overtime is some kind of badge of honor that makes them more passionate about a project. I'm not saying your way is wrong or that you shouldn't be able to do that, but don't try and question my dedication or say my way is wrong either.

evilmrfrank

Banned
Apr 22, 2005
Florida, US
www.evilmrfrank.com

Your also a lead level designer aren't you? Or am I mistaken :B
I don't see why anyone would whine about being put into over time in this industry. If you can't take it your in the wrong industry :)

MonsOlympus

May 27, 2004
So what is the best mentality to have if youre looking to be in the games industry? Do you just put up and shut up or do you take a stance?

Id like to think every employer would give their employee's the chance to make the project theirs as you say but do they really? Its mentioned in the article about EA and you see it with the NFS series seemingly changing hands every round which really effects the quality of the franchise on a whole.

Maybe the indies really do have something to show bigger studios especially in regards to AAA titles in that they have more control over, how, what and when things are released. Valve seems to be kinda in the middle ground being able to hit both, they got the frequent updates and delivery benefits of the PC which they exploit, they are independent so they can release when and how they want also. Not only that but they take things to the other platforms when they feel its right and they know things are ready for certification.

I wouldnt know about the intricacies of crunch in their regard, they have fumbled a few times with patch/update releases but its always quickly rectified with a public announcement and patch.

I spose you can be in it as just a job but theres certainly some of us out there who live and breath it, maybe it gets us into trouble because we get overly passionate about it. Mentioning things other people would rather let slide or perhaps just ignore for the benefit of the many. I dont think complacency is a good trait to have especially as a creative, you always have to be pushing the bounds. If you can do that in normal work hours, more power to you I say, if not I dont think it makes you any less dedicated or motivated.

I do think people should push things, question the so called authorities and challenge general consensus. Maybe games arnt the place for political views but we have seen plenty of games which do this, they make you question your morals and your stances. Desensitization certainly isnt limited to interactive media at all, so if someone wants to exploit that in a product I say go for it. The more questions you raise, the more people think about things which is always good, a puzzle game can certainly challenge the mind but how far does it really challenge your mind and your perception of the world?

evilmrfrank

Banned
Apr 22, 2005
Florida, US
www.evilmrfrank.com
So what is the best mentality to have if youre looking to be in the games industry? Do you just put up and shut up or do you take a stance?

Depends on the situation. Of course when your a couple months from launch and you got a few thousand things that still need fixed you don't have much of a choice other than to work hard and not argue about it. If your lead says crunch there isn't much you can say about it cause its usually for a good reason :)

Angel_Mapper

Goooooooats
Jun 17, 2001
Cape Suzette
www.angelmapper.com
I just have different priorities (read: people I care about outside of work). I don't think it's worth sacrificing time with them, no matter how passionate I am about my work.
I don't see why anyone would whine about being put into over time in this industry. If you can't take it your in the wrong industry :)
I doubt the guy plowing your wife while you're at work thinks you're in the wrong industry. :p

evilmrfrank

Banned
Apr 22, 2005
Florida, US
www.evilmrfrank.com
If you consider mismanagement a good reason, sure. :B

Yea thats definitely an issue but I'm just talking about when it's actually required. Although I suppose if we had perfect management and were perfect workers we wouldn't have to crunch :D

And yea that is definitely a downside to crunching, family. If I wasn't married I would probably put in a lot more over time cause I really don't have a life :p

Sjosz

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Dec 31, 2003
Edmonton, AB
www.dregsld.com
I think this discussion has been blown a bit out of proportion. Having ideals that prioritize the people you love before your work isn't strange. Sometimes those ideals don't mesh very well with the work situation, but it's give and take. How people can respond strangely/negatively to someone not wanting their home situation to suffer because of work is beyond me.
Besides, preferring to work 40 hour weeks instead of more and actually making a fuss over having to work a few hours more for a few weeks are 2 completely different things.