What do you think the new engine should be? [Poll]

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

What do you think would be the next best engine?

• Far Cry - Crytech engine

Votes: 14 14.3%
  • Half-Life 2

Votes: 21 21.4%
  • Doom 3

Votes: 5 5.1%
  • Unreal 2004

Votes: 59 60.2%

• Total voters

(SDS)benmcl

Why not visit us here in the real world.
May 13, 2002
Visit site
Sorry but custom maps, voices, mutators and other content is what I love about INF and the Unreal Engine is great for that.

Again, I am on slow dial-up, that is I connect 26400. When I was playing, and hopefully I will again soon, regularly I made an effort to keep track what was on the servers I play on and to get that material when I am not playing.
Sure occasionally I had to skip a map or something but not that often. Also I made it a point over time to get as many maps downloaded as possible incase one of them gets tossed onto a server. I have lost track how many gigs my download directory is. A little planning ahead makes things much easier.
After playing the latest releases and seeing what is out there I have to say my choice is still UT2K4.

hoak

Aug 6, 2002
I agree with benmcl, the mutators like RAv3 have actually made it possible for me to look at Inf... It's also variety, and lots of art assets and options that make a game able to appeal to a wider audience and sustain it longer.

The only thing I see as detrimental to choosing an future version of the Epic Unreal Warfare engine is that the audience that buys Epic's games are largely action/arcade game oriented; and the slew of Action Realism mods and their popularity tend to reaffirm that most of these people aren't looking for more sophistication in a Realism game. The upside of all of that is Inf doesn't face much competition, but the size of the audience offers pretty slim pick'ns...

No one has mentioned the new RSE Ghost Recon 2 engine, though it's not released yet it may offer a better arcation to build the deepest realism mod -- the big "if" here is "if" the RSE GR2 SDK offers the level of mod support required to build a game like Inf... A lot of Ghost Recon Fans have long wanted a FPWV ironsights game, and weapon vection based projectile trajectory would be realism icing on the cake...

The Half-Life 2 engine does look ideal to me; superb aesthetics, scale, and physics play-feel that are among the most solid and realistic I've seen on new generation engines... Half-Life 2 will also have a slew of mature and excellent tools both from Valve, Commercial and Fan third party developers that will put it on the top of the pile. Half-Life games also attract a lot of fans that are fundamentally realism oriented, and a lot of them are of the more mature (age) demographic that are looking for more thoughtful, realistic and tactically deep games.

But Inf Programmer(s) has to love it to make it fly... In the end whatever they choose will be fine with me, none of the new crop of engines are "crap"...

:)

Apr 21, 2003
Europe
I can only say to the SS team one thing: !NO UBI LICENSED ENGINE! Every, but not Ubi.

HL2 would be awesome anyway. Kinda sad to leave the Unreal engine, but if a change than HL2.
And my personal antipathy against the Unreal engine, no matter how I love the Unreal engine, is: No mutators, plz.
I like games standart and not different servers, different INF. Indeed, I wouldn´t like to see a vanilla 2.87 gameplay either.

Apr 21, 2003
Europe
I played HL2. Don´t know, but I do not find this engine much better than UT2004.
The real goal at HL2 is, that it has many thinbgs that fit to a realism game. It has so many urban and nature models, textures, sounds, just everything.
The underwater effects, plus soundeffects are awesome.
The hearing loss effect after enar explosions as awesome.
The shooting sounds at the distance are awesome to create a battlefield atmosphere.
The physics are awesome.

So I could easily say go for HL2, but they is something about HL2 that really dsrives me nuts :mad:. All this steam stuff sucks. Hell I could start (only f#ckin start) CS after loading an update half of an hour :mad:. 2 Days later I needed to load a 160 minutes update, which doesn´t allow to f#ckin just to look at the CS maps.
The HL2 MP part needs to be downloaded first as I understood.
I hate it. If INF wont be startable with internet conection than better stay at the UT99 engine :mad: :mad: :mad:. I hate all this internet sh!t.

Well don´t know what to choose, I´m confused.
UT2004 seems to have some faults (not good sound engine) and it doesn´t has some thing that are part of HL2, so the SS team need to make it all on their own.
And HL2 has this steam sh!t.
Far Cry is under Ubi license, which is awful.
Doom3 doesn´t fit for a military sim.

Damn what else?

cracwhore

I'm a video game review site...
Oct 3, 2003
Visit site
Pyschomorph said:
Damn what else?

Option 30 (if you get that reference, you win a cookie): Wait another 'two years'* to decide on an engine.

In The INF World 'two years', could very well translate to 'six years' in our current reality. ;)

zeep

:(
Feb 16, 2001
Visit site
hoak said:
..but as a Sound Designer I like UT2004 the least (though I far from dislike it)...
Psychomorph said:
..The real goal at HL2 is, that it has many things that fit to a realism game...The underwater effects, plus soundeffects are awesome. .. The shooting sounds at the distance are awesome to create a battlefield atmosphere..
One thing i liked about the HL1 engine was its sound abilities. Like underwater the sound was filtered.
UT99 has crap sound support. No working filter, even tho it's there in preferences. No long distance.. And even today when i play i still hate the fact that sound just wobbles from left to right. Beppo explained this is because of the player movement wobble. Also due to that, when you lean left, you'll notice all sound goes to one direction too.
In Inf 'listening'' where somebody is coming from is very bad due to limited distance hearing, bad sound rolloff (walk away from anything emmiting continues sound and at some point it just fades out unrealisticly fast.

Don't tell me ut2k4 can't filter sound? I haven't heard it before but it should be in there. The distance and rolloff in ut2k4 is certainly sufficient. You can 'hear' a very long distance, which is good.

(will edit when im home from work)

FieldMedic

Less good UT Player ever
Aug 30, 2001
All i can hope is that INF 3.0 will not see its day as a mod on half life 2 .
This because of a major personnal disagreement with the steam concept of videogaming.

Well, even if it has been said hundred times, it would be interesting to know if an engine has been decided yet, even if it leads me to never play INF 3.0 if half life 2 is the choice.

cracwhore

I'm a video game review site...
Oct 3, 2003
Visit site
The two million other happy steam users will surely miss your presence.

The games we could've played together... :(

FieldMedic

Less good UT Player ever
Aug 30, 2001
I should write a personnal letter to express my feelings to those 2 millions of happy steam users, as they are certainly very sad for me, and i really don't want to make them sad for missing my wonderfull presence.

I will miss all those happy steam players so much that my own heart is broken.

Maybe with the time we will learn to live without each other, it will be hard at first but i know for sure we will all keep a special place in our heart.

Don't cry for me argentina... huh... happy steam players.

zeep

Feb 16, 2001
Visit site
Before steam i could play DOD online with ping 40. Using steam all that has changed. Somehow my ping is only low as long as i look at the floor or a wall. The moment my fps is not at it's fpsmax capped setting, ping goes from 40 to 400. All my other games -needless to say- don't have this weird stupid problem.
That and the fact i get no support on the steam forum at all on the above issue (like so many others who have problems with steam), leave me no choice but to hate steam and all the crap Valve has done to destroy a fine moddable game.
They should have made steam optional. Won was perfectly fine, and faster too.

So i would be sad if HL2 engine was chosen. I have yet to play hl2. It's because of steam that i haven't yet.

Apr 21, 2003
Europe
FieldMedic said:
This because of a major personnal disagreement with the steam concept of videogaming.
Thats exactly my point. I love the HL2 engine, it has so much that could be reused for INF3.0 and even improved to spare the development time in comparison to UT2004, but the steam thing...

@zeep:
Whats with the UT2004 soundengine? Is it better?

zeep said:
Before steam i could play DOD online with ping 40. Using steam all that has changed. Somehow my ping is only low as long as i look at the floor or a wall. The moment my fps is not at it's fpsmax capped setting, ping goes from 40 to 400. All my other games -needless to say- don't have this weird stupid problem.
That and the fact i get no support on the steam forum at all on the above issue (like so many others who have problems with steam), leave me no choice but to hate steam and all the crap Valve has done to destroy a fine moddable game.
They should have made steam optional. Won was perfectly fine, and faster too.

So i would be sad if HL2 engine was chosen. I have yet to play hl2. It's because of steam that i haven't yet.
If it is about Ping and Internet Playability and they are problems with steam as zeep explained, than a very huge and big NONO to HL2.
Guess the discussion about HL2 is over :D

Last edited:

zeep

Feb 16, 2001
Visit site
Psychomorph said:
Whats with the UT2004 soundengine? Is it better?
I haven't taken time to study the capabilities yet. From what i've heard so far:
- I know the sound rolloff is much better.
- Audible distance has increased to a very reasonable length.
- The above adds to hearing where a sound is coming from. So good locationing.
- If the soundscale option is useable in mod sound then it can add nice touches to in-game situations where a certain sound makes other volume duck. I'm not sure it can be used stereo tho.

As fas as filtering is concerned, i did a quick search on the net and it didn't give me any real evidence that a filter is useable in UT2K4. I haven't checked Wiki tho.. hmm..

Apr 2, 2001
Frankfurt/ Germany
Visit site
I just stumbled into MoH:pacific Assault.

Could be a great choice IMO.

It's a complete new engine wich is tailored for very intense atmosphere (i.e player faints when too close to a nade) based on DX9b supporting pixelshader 1.0 and 2.0 and featuring havoc physic engine.

And it might not be pestered by all the nasty downsides of the other choices: No Stassi-Steam, no lack of support by UBI-pricks. No tuned DX 7 engine (like UT04).

If netcode (supports 32 Players) and the devs kit (called MDK=Mod developers Kit and already available) are suitable it could be the best choice of all....

At least its worth a look.

http://www.eagames.com/official/moh/pacassault/us/home.jsp

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2003
Europe
Where are the SS team members if you need them? :D
I wish I could download the MoH:pA Demo to check it. As I understood it is allready released?

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2003
Europe
That's the problem.

Hey, could you post some screenshots like the 'looking into sun effekt, while a tree is in front', or other nice things to present the engines quality?

Last edited: