1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

What do you think the new engine should be? [Poll]

Discussion in 'New Version Suggestions' started by Logan6, Aug 18, 2004.

?

What do you think would be the next best engine?

1. Far Cry - Crytech engine

14 vote(s)
    14.3%
  2. Half-Life 2

21 vote(s)
    21.4%
  3. Doom 3

5 vote(s)
    5.1%
  4. Unreal 2004

59 vote(s)
    60.2%
  1. Nukeproof

Nukeproof n1

Are you aware of the workload you and the INFmodteam will face, to keep INF alive in the meantime? ;)

2. yurch

yurch Swinging the clue-by-four

I haven't seen much of this, save for a rather nasty crouch hit(box/model/thing) bug in HL2DM.
    This is true. I'm speaking for what I think would make the best game, however, not what is more convienient for the community 'developers'. It does require a little more faith in the Sentry developers, to both put out a good game and, if so required, fix it in a timely manner. Remember, most mods/communities don't expect to be modding the thing right out the door. ;)
    I don't know too much about them. Valve reportedly used Microsoft Visual C++ .NET 2003 v7.1. Right now, I'm using a .net version of VS from the same year.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2005
  3. MP_Duke

MP_Duke Banned

crac, I see you still haven't gotten over the pink dildo bit, welcome to 8 months ago! GET OVER IT you little prick.
    I'm in the business :p

4. -Snakebite-

-Snakebite- Hero

Really? Like what? Most games were based on Q3.

I would assume it was your server, most people have no such problems.

You can just leave steam running when you leave your PC connected to the internet. Download it bit by bit.

Not really. Inf would appeal to a lot of people if it were accessable, its a great game, that a lot of people would like if they actually tried. Its just a question of letting people try it. Nobody is interested in running a UT mod any more to try this game, its too old.

5. cracwhore

cracwhore I'm a video game review site...

Duke, I'm not sure what you being an ass has to do with my pointing out that you also suggested Doom 3 as the next engine SS should consider for modding...

...oh wait...

6. MP_Duke

MP_Duke Banned

I'm just throwing out ideas like everyone else, but I know how you feel... you ever heard of changing one's mind?
    Seriously though, Unreal Engine 3.0 looks like the new high for tech.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2005
  7. Psychomorph

Psychomorph  

As I know SWAT4 is on Unreal Engine 3.0 (?). Thats why I throwed it as an option into discussions, but nobody seemed to try the demos (that are available), or at least they do not tell.

What do you mean exactly?

@Snikebite:
    CS is my only Q3 MP game I played as I remember. AVP2's lithtec engine, Rogue Spears don´t know engine, SWAT3's don´t know engine were played by me in the Net.
    My Unreal Engine MP games were, Unreal, UT+some mods, UT2003/4+some mods, AA:O, Raven Shield a bit.
    Well I have to point out, that I didn´t played in the Net so much, not so much games at all (most games are boring to me) and I had much fun playing unreal based games even on 56k, but it seems to be true, that Unreal is heavy on hardware.

@Derelan:
    Nice engine, I like the realistic looking texture.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2005
  8. Nukeproof

Nukeproof n1

IIRC the Unreal3 engine is roughly announced for some day 2006 which means someone is needed to prolong the life INF2.9 by more than a few days...

Edit: According to here (http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/swat4/) SWAT4 is announced for April 05 and screenshots look more like HL

9. -Snakebite-

-Snakebite- Hero

Ahh ok. Yeah, a couple of games did use the UT engine. But if someone could get me a list it would show around 10+ games that used the Q3 engine. Medal of honor, wolfenstien and a load of others.

I like this argument, its a real good way of giving SS something to think about in their decision.

10. Psychomorph

Psychomorph  

@Nukeproof:
    But I´m nearly sure SWAT4 uses the unreal engine and the new one.

@Snakebite:
    I meant only MP games. I played someQ3 based games offline, MoHAA, MoHS, Q3, Q2 and probably some other I do not remember.

Seems I have my stupid day today, but what do you mean exactly, that Q3 (or ID) engine is widely used?
    What engine is HL2 based on exactly?

11. (SDS)benmcl

(SDS)benmcl Why not visit us here in the real world.

The source engine. Built by Valve from the ground up.

12. Arethusa

Arethusa We will not walk in fear.

And of all the engines out right now, it would be the only legitimate choice if not for Steam.

13. -Snakebite-

-Snakebite- Hero

Well, it seams the source engine has been chosen after all. Best of luck with it..

14. geogob

geogob Koohii o nomimasu ka?

I guess that this proves that polls are not really fit to answer technical questions.

15. yurch

yurch Swinging the clue-by-four

The poll was started before HL2 even came out.

16. geogob

geogob Koohii o nomimasu ka?

ah true...

17. N'kEnNy

N'kEnNy New Member

Actually... I thought HL2 was based on HL1? HL1 was based on Q1 with bits of Q2 code stitched into it.

18. Arethusa

Arethusa We will not walk in fear.

No. Source is entirely new and shares only superficial similarities with the old Half-Life engine.

19. MP_Duke

MP_Duke Banned

Judging from screenshots and the release date, it looks more like a modified Unreal at the version 2 level. It's more likely that a game using the very latest Unreal will appear sometime in 2006. Plus, the characters in SWAT 4 should look way better for 3.0, look at these:
    http://www.unrealtechnology.com/flash/technology/ue30.shtml

20. Psychomorph

Psychomorph  

Seems you´re right, indeed, I find SWAT4 ugly as hell. But a mod is another story, it can be made better than the core game.

No matter, the decision is made allready.