1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Unreal Evolution for UT3

Discussion in 'Unreal Tournament 3' started by Sir_Brizz, Sep 6, 2008.

1. Sir_Brizz

Sir_Brizz Administrator Staff Member

I still don't understand. This has nothing to do with UT.

2. Firefly

Firefly United Kingdom is not a country.

graphically the ut engine is inferior to ut3's

Last edited: Apr 17, 2010
  3. FXD|Shadow

FXD|Shadow Mad Man, really

What should I say... well... didn't read the whole thread, but I must admit that your motives are noble-minded, but find a team developing that improvement of ut on an even inferior engine ! yet there's much more effort keeping something like a "community" alive rather than creating any new big content like this...

the community patch your refering might be the OldUnreal.com 277x Patch Series (227f being the current build), it's official and EPIC permitted it's development

and yes then there's the UT SDK being developed over at UT99.org, it's official too, though not changing any original binary or source engine framework, it co-exists with existing framework, offering services as new application layer on top of the inferior engine

people don't get me wrong, it's a good idea, but how to gather a team investing time and work into something like this ?

4. Leo(T.C.K.)

Leo(T.C.K.) Well-Known Member

It's community patch, not official, but Smirftsch had to sign the NDA to be able to do it.

5. FXD|Shadow

FXD|Shadow Mad Man, really

I meant that it's officially permitted to create that Patch, I'm aware of the fact that it's community-made

6. Firefly

Firefly United Kingdom is not a country.

is it just me or has this thread derailed?
    :)

7. TurdDrive

TurdDrive sam k

Choo choo!

Yes.

Please get back on topic.
    I want to see this mod finished.

8. -AEnubis-

-AEnubis- fps greater than star

Sorry, I was associating the idea with UTR. You're idea is to recreate the single player Unreal™ in UE3. That makes a lot more sense. I was missing something heh.

Carry on.

9. silentlykiller

silentlykiller New Member

ppl still working on this
    any news or pics

10. Psychomorph

Psychomorph  

Looks good, but I think it is cramped with UT3 details which sometimes appear pointlessly surfeited. I think the design needs to be somewhat simpler, grittier, more functional, in short; less UT3ish.
    I guess you just use what UT3 has in stock, creating new elements would be to much work, but perhaps UT3 has elements to work with that are simpler?

I still dream to see a game that comes close to Unreal or even a remake. A community made remake seems to unlikely to happen. Well, I hope you just don't give up and at least finish the first level of Unreal.

Meh, games so suck nowadays... :eek:

11. gnrlspecific

gnrlspecific New Member

I would love to see this. Please finish something,anything please.

12. Vortex Convict

Vortex Convict New Member

Good work, Sir-Brizz. It's good to see that someone wants to recreate the classic Unreal for a modern audience.
    :)

Have any enemies been completed for the UT3 modification, yet?

(I'm curious to see how the Nali would appear).

13. BobTheBeheader

BobTheBeheader New Member

Would anyone be interested in jump-starting this project again? I still have all my old files and have done some work unwrapping the automag model I made and getting it ready for texturing. I'd love to have some incentive to keep going at the very least.

14. tolas

tolas New Member

Would love to help with modeling and texturing.

15. BlackFish[X.y]

BlackFish[X.y] New Member

Here's another one that would like to help. I can create models (both hi-res and low-res) and possibly textures.

Two WIP shots:

mhead1.jpg

khead1.jpg

16. BlackFish

BlackFish ginger synther hipster

oh snap there's another blackfish on this forum!

I can help with music design if needed. "Resume"

17. Evill_Bob

Evill_Bob Cheese Hopping Rocket Spammer

That seems the difference between the Unreal community and the Half-Life community... Half-Life gets excited about mods like Black Mesa Source and Opposing Force 2 since they get to experience an old favorite on a new engine with modern features that were understandably lacking from the original. Unreal community bitches that Unreal 1 (I don't care if they didn't call it "Unreal 1" back then, I really don't) was so much better and that all progress on bring modern features to a great but aging game should be stopped. God forbid checkpoints, co-op, and being able to tell the difference between a rock and a Skarjj before the shooting starts.

18. AlCapowned

AlCapowned Member

Unreal already had co-op, and checkpoints are stupid if you can't choose when to save your game.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2011
  19. Evill_Bob

Evill_Bob Cheese Hopping Rocket Spammer

It had a co-op? I guess I missed it or at least forgot about it. I'll have to dust Unreal 1 off and try it sometime, assuming I can find someone I actually like that plays Unreal 1. But still, I hate to be sitting there having the time of my life murdering anything that moves and a few things that don't on a godlike killing spree only to have board on a rickety bridge give out and I fall to my death into a big pool of lava. When I reload I realize that I was too busy having fun to remember to save and got sent back quite a long ways to a rather dull point of the game. It may not be a problem for those who played it a thousand times over but it’s really a pain in the ass during a first play through. Checkpoints are there so you don't have to remember to stop having fun and save every five minutes.

It was my only beef when playing Half-Life 1, a major pain in Mass Effect, and was a major fault with Unreal 1. Sure both Half-Life 1 and Unreal 1 had the excuse that it was common those days to not have any checkpoints (Mass Effect really didn’t have an excuse especially if you got a Geth stuck in your Mako and glitched into a lava lake) but it’s definitely a sign of an aging game. Plus most PC games now have both a save feature so you can save when you want AND checkpoint saves just in case you forget. It’s not stupid, it's convenient.

But it's good to see a few are exited. Let’s hope this turns out better than that unplayable glitch fest Project: Alpha Three... not really an Unreal 1 port but was definitely in the spirit of the original. I'd jump in help if I wasn't just starting to learn how to model with no idea how to script.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2011
  20. GreatEmerald

GreatEmerald Khnumhotep

Unreal co-op is played 24 hours a day with quite a few servers still on :) And it does have checkpoints, they are the beginning of the map. The "restart level" just loads that autosave for you.

Yea, saving in Mass Effect is kinda strange, since you can't save when you're in battle, yet that's the only place you'd want to save in the first place...