Unreal Development Kit Announced!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Mozi

Zer0 as a number
Apr 12, 2002
In the Borderlands..
www.mozidesign.com
Hey guys, I just wanted to drop in and say that it's so awesome to see all the positive reactions to UDK. Also, big thanks to Sir_Brizz and to hal for their support with hosting the UDK assets and for just being great stewards of the Unreal development community in general. We hope that many, many developers will benefit from UDK.

Give the tools folks at Epic a cookie or something. Seriously seeing this stuff at Gearbox is great and best step in evolution in UE. I have used some finicky design tools in the past and by far UE is really easy to learn and use.

Bersy

Apr 7, 2008
Sweden
With a huge "DONATION" button. :)
I know we'll be seeing lots of these. And it's a good thing if the results are worth it.

Actually we're not going to be seeing any community created Unreal's or UT's after all. Epic has told me that legally they can't let us do it. Free or not.

But of course people can create their own shooter games, and no doubt many will. It just would have been nice to have a more coordinated community effort that most everyone could get behind.

On a happier note, I'm excited to be using UDK for my own projects :)

Last edited:

Alhanalem

Teammember on UT3JB Bangaa Bishop
Feb 21, 2002
Ivalice
Actually we're not going to be seeing any community created Unreal's or UT's after all. Epic has told me that legally they can't let us do it. Free or not.
well of course, it's their intellectual property. But I would think it would be OK if it was distributed for free.

Bersy

Apr 7, 2008
Sweden
well of course, it's their intellectual property. But I would think it would be OK if it was distributed for free.
Like I said, it being free doesn't make a difference and even with explicit disclaimers that it belongs to Epic it is still no-go. Believe me I checked into it in detail.

StreetPreacher

Mar 10, 2001
VERY savvy move. Well done, Epic. And I think it's going to work out really well for all involved. Awesome tools and options for indie startups and mod teams, great exposure and wide adoption for Epic, and fun games for us. Winners all around.

Well done.

-Jes-

Tastefully Barking
Jan 17, 2005
DM-HyperBlast
As much as this is bonebreakingly awesome in every way, I just can't help but fear this will cause most UT3 mods to invariably become standalones taking from ½ to whole GIGS more of space on my strained little laptop! :lol:

Flak

I am Gamer, hear me Pwn. RAWR
May 26, 2004
Give the tools folks at Epic a cookie or something. Seriously seeing this stuff at Gearbox is great and best step in evolution in UE. I have used some finicky design tools in the past and by far UE is really easy to learn and use.

Thank you Mozi.

I think I'll bake some cookies for the guys soon. ;)

Odedge

Keeper of Tutorials
May 26, 2009
www.odedge.com
It does look amazing. But I don't think you can use the UDK editor to make maps directly for UT3.

Overall, I think this is a great move by Epic to help the development of games in general. Giving the community modding tools in general is a way to help future employees of Epic and those who license their engines get a head start. The UDK will only expand the modding community, which is always a good thing.

On a personal note, I don't think this will make a difference in my mapping projects, unless one of these games gets really popular. Now if they can only come out with a 2.2 patch for UT 3 with the updated engine/editor, then I will be happy all around. :D

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
Wow, I'm really impressed with the fracture tool. I've always wondered how environment destruction worked.
I have so much to mess around with ATM..

EDIT: The generic browser is really nice, but the way the first one was conceived was just right for me. The new generic browser is best used in another monitor or in full screen. Putting the browser on-side really wasn't the best solution. 128 thumbnails are too big, and 64 ones are too small. :p

I'm still trying to figure ou how lightmass works in therm of shadows/lightmaps/radiosity.

The DM-Deck version in this demo is 40 MB, the original UT3 version is 39. Kinda makes no sense.

Last edited:

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks
Apr 18, 2006
Nomad
sheelabs.gamemod.net
There are baked-in assets missing from this version of Deck, I believe

What bugs me is that on all the maps, the post processing is all wrong and the lighting is so bright and muted, making things look a little flat.

Need to play more with lightmass, but fracturing walls into 150 itty-bitty little pieces is too entertaining :(

DeathBooger

Malcolm's Sugar Daddy
Sep 16, 2004
Anyone know if you can start out in UDK and later export the work to a licensed version of UE3 if you decide to go commercial with your game?

Apr 11, 2006
But of course people can create their own shooter games, and no doubt many will. It just would have been nice to have a more coordinated community effort that most everyone could get behind.

Indeed.
Though I'm not sure why the concept of futuristic arena combat game would be out of bounds, assuming that it's not a direct 1:1 ripoff or using Unreal name or graphics... To be honest the Unreal universe is so screwy at this point that any sense of continuity is out the window (not that you need a lot of continuity for an arena game, but it's the kind of thing that is only apparent when lacking).