1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Unreal Development Kit Announced!

Discussion in 'News & Articles' started by Sir_Brizz, Nov 5, 2009.

1. Sir_Brizz

Sir_Brizz Administrator Staff Member

[​IMG]

Epic has announced the release of the Unreal Development Kit today! The UDK is a free for non-commercial use Unreal Engine 3 runtime that allows you to create your own games using UE3 without the enormous expense of an Unreal Engine 3 license!

With UDK, you will also be able to create commercial games to sell on digital distribution platforms like Steam. The licensing details for this have yet to be released, however it seems likely you will be able to start selling your game without spending a dime out of your own pocket.

This is great news for the modding community, since now they will have a platform they can develop mods on that does not also require the purchase of any particular game. Now, their target audiences can be much larger.

Along with this release are two games. The Ball Demo, which is a new experience in The Ball universe, created by Toltec Studios, and Whizzle, by Psyonix, creators of the Onslaught game mode for UT2004. Whizzle also comes with a design document that explains a lot of the code that was written for the game, as well as a 350mb developer diary describing how the game was developed, including subjects such as rapid prototyping. The kit also contains the most recent version of UnrealEd, which has Unreal Lightmass lighting, the new content browser and many more new enhancements from the UT3 Editor.

UDK has far more than I can possibly explain in this simple news post. We look forward to having people dig into the kit and find all the possibilities. The official UDK site has now launched as well as the opening up of over 200 documents previously locked on UDN. This, along with all the other content being released with UDK should help modders and developers start building great games with the most powerful game creation toolset there is.

You can grab any of the files by going to the FileWorks category or grab individual files below:

2. Dark Pulse

Dark Pulse Dolla, Dolla. Holla, Holla.

Press releases follow.

3. Jetfire

Jetfire New Member

Extremely awesome news. I'm really excited at what my team can do now. Oh yes.

But...
    MSUC just became practically irrelevant one week from final submissions? All the sleep we've lost over the impending deadline? The Ball has effectively already won?

4. [SAS]Solid Snake

[SAS]Solid Snake New Member

Not at all. Remember, when you win the license as the grand prize for UE3 you get much more than what you get with the UDK.

5. Crotale

Crotale _________________________ _______________

This is most excellent news. I just saw the new forums and came here to see if the news post was up. We currently use VTK at my work. The guys and I have been wanting to get into using Unreal Engine, but, the Air Force did not want to spend the money for the licensing. Now, we can build a demo and hopefully wow TPTB enough so they can see the value in the investment.

6. BlackFish

BlackFish ginger synther hipster

Well this is great news. My theater dept is really going to love this.

7. madspacemarinemustdie

madspacemarinemustdie ...

They should do this for UE2.

8. SlipStreams_65

SlipStreams_65 User Titles are Useless.

They already did, with UE2 runtime.

BTW I'm getting 404 when I try udk.com/showcase-ut-game.html .

9. madspacemarinemustdie

madspacemarinemustdie ...

It's not allowed to make & release games with the UE2 runtime.

10. Flak

Flak I am Gamer, hear me Pwn. RAWR

Thank you Slipstreams, fixed.

11. hanji

hanji N00bonator

Wow, The Ball playable with UDK, awesome.

12. Cr4zyB4st4rd

Cr4zyB4st4rd I make awesome ©

Awesome on so many levels.

13. Nathillien

Nathillien ۞Thilsa۞

Brilliant

14. SuperApe

SuperApe Registered Monkey

Cool! Thanks, Epic! :D

15. Dest

Dest DA Team

Yeeee, start porting your mods people! :)

And I also agree, this should be done for UE2 aswell! :eek:

16. jayoplus

jayoplus New Member

Wow. Just wow. Awesome news there.

17. neoduck

neoduck Member

Man, one thing I hope you guys realize is that this is almost EXACTLY the engine build that we're using here at Epic!

You get every single feature that we've been using here that aren't even in any games yet! We only got some of these features last week!

Can't wait to see some of the cool shizzle that comes out of this :)

18. Numb51

Numb51 New Member

OMG. I'm so excited to mess with Unreal Lightmass!!

19. minifloppy

minifloppy New Member

WOW! Just downloaded and tried it. From what I have seen so far i must say that the editor is a LOT better than the one included in UT3. Too bad I will not have time to really play with it till next week.

Also the UT3 maps redone with the new illumination system are gorgeous. This is how UT3 should have looked. :mad:

20. Raynor.Z

Raynor.Z Ad Nocendum Potentes Sumus

Nice move Epic :tup: