The ut2004 tips and tricks thread.

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Joe-B-Wan

Mar 28, 2005
Team Glow question

Hi-dee-ho Neighbors!

Could someone please let me know which setting is not allowing me to see the team glow when playing over a LAN. The server is set up for it, so I'm sure it's one of my Detail settings turned down too low.
Thanks for any advice! :stupid:

Jun 23, 2004
www.jumpinjuggernuts.com
I believe you have to edit this in your user.ini which is in your systems folder.
[Engine.Pawn]
bNoCoronas=False
I suppose you could also type and enter the following into your console as long as you haven't joined a multiplayer game yet:
set Engine.Pawn bNoCoronas False

Hope it works :)

Joe-B-Wan

Mar 28, 2005
Thanks!

briachiae said:
I believe you have to edit this in your user.ini which is in your systems folder.
[Engine.Pawn]
bNoCoronas=False
I suppose you could also type and enter the following into your console as long as you haven't joined a multiplayer game yet:

Thanks briachiae,

I'll give that a shot. :D

N@Sc

Aneurysm
May 23, 2004
briachiae said:
[Engine.Pawn]
bNoCoronas=False

lol thnx, was looking for that myself 2, helped me there out right on the spot m8 ^^

Istigkeit

Denied the best ultrasex
Mar 16, 2005
Arctic Stronghold
Just wanted to add a few things I enjoy doing that might come in handy to others. They refer to Onslaught games.

In Dria, when taking out the opposing team's primary node (whatever you call the last one you need to take before attacking the base) you often get some people up in the base tower where the lightning gun is, either sniping or tossing out avrils.

What I do for them, instead of sniping back, is grab some spider mines and fly into the base, teleport up the tower, and flak them off the tower. Spread some mines around the teleport base on the top, because it's almost guaranteed that they will return immediately to the same spot to find you. Do this a couple times in a game, and snipers are usually no longer a problem. Nobody wants to deal with me every time they go up there, so they find something better to do.

People seem to hate it when I do that, though. I don't regard it as spawn-killing. What do you guys think?

Nereid

・ ω ・
Apr 15, 2003
Vancouver
Istigkeit said:
Just wanted to add a few things I enjoy doing that might come in handy to others. They refer to Onslaught games.

In Dria, when taking out the opposing team's primary node (whatever you call the last one you need to take before attacking the base) you often get some people up in the base tower where the lightning gun is, either sniping or tossing out avrils.

What I do for them, instead of sniping back, is grab some spider mines and fly into the base, teleport up the tower, and flak them off the tower. Spread some mines around the teleport base on the top, because it's almost guaranteed that they will return immediately to the same spot to find you. Do this a couple times in a game, and snipers are usually no longer a problem. Nobody wants to deal with me every time they go up there, so they find something better to do.

People seem to hate it when I do that, though. I don't regard it as spawn-killing. What do you guys think?
Haha, nice. It's fun to do that in maps like Torlan as well, with the LtG tower. :)

Also: Fire the bio-rifle several times at the floor, pull out your shieldgun, put the shield up, walk over the bio stuff and jump. Depending on the amount you put on, you can get a good amount of height. Works great on some lifts and jumppads (the ones in Campgrounds and Goliath come to mind), and also up the sloped ramps like the ones in Rankin and Campgrounds2005-SC1. You don't take any damage if you do it properly. Probably not too useful in a real game, but fun nonetheless :)

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
Bio dodges are very useful in theory, but you need some time for the setup. With five primaries, a full-power shield aimed in the proper direction, and a nicely-timed dodge, you won't take any damage and will go a long way. With a little messing around, I made it from the ledge leading up to the 100a on Goliath over to the third floor you can lift jump to from the rocket launcher.

UnlitPhoenix

May 15, 2005
titan.fuziondesigns.net
Turns2Ashes said:
Bio dodges are very useful in theory, but you need some time for the setup. With five primaries, a full-power shield aimed in the proper direction, and a nicely-timed dodge, you won't take any damage and will go a long way. With a little messing around, I made it from the ledge leading up to the 100a on Goliath over to the third floor you can lift jump to from the rocket launcher.
Even bio jumping is effective without the dodging.

Taleweaver said:
Well...the moving/dodging/jumping isn't the essential part, but rather the ability to remain unpredictable. Jumping and especially dodging, makes you harder to hit so you won't die that much. But even that is just the basics of movement: you also need to be able to shift directions quickly if you see or hear missiles approach and never blindly get to somewhere where they might be expecting you.
With regular weapons yes, but in insta, dodging can prove fatal, since all your opponent needs to do is look which way you dodge and shoot (I do it all the time).
In insta you have to just run/walk around unpredictably. It's hard, but once you've mastered it it's easy. Aim plays a vital role also, but, I guess that's pretty easy to see :p

menelik_seth

a.k.a 'Youngblood'
Noob rant: "Know thy surroundings..."

In the beginning I used to always find myeslf dodging off a ledge, or into a corner (gettin all stuck and disoriented), or down a flight of steps, or into lava... I still find myself doing that on strange maps...

I think a good rule of thumb is to try your best to memorize the maps you play on. And that's not even gettin "Deep" where you know every secret, every uberpowerup, hidden level or watever... Just know where all the ledges, stairs, dead ends etc are so u don't look like dork all da time :p

its workin for me; and I actually find that I'm a much better player (and dodger) on maps that I'm farmiliar with...

... put me on a new map tho; and you don't have to even frag me. Just sit back and let me do my thang :p

Taleweaver

Wandering spirit
May 11, 2004
Off course
UnlitPhoenix said:
With regular weapons yes, but in insta, dodging can prove fatal, since all your opponent needs to do is look which way you dodge and shoot (I do it all the time).
In insta you have to just run/walk around unpredictably. It's hard, but once you've mastered it it's easy. Aim plays a vital role also, but, I guess that's pretty easy to see :p
Am I missing something, or are you just repeating exactly what I stated? I very rarely play instaGib, but so far dodging (or even dodgejumping) hasn't proved deadlier or less deadly than walking, provided you do it randomish enough.

UnlitPhoenix

May 15, 2005
titan.fuziondesigns.net
Taleweaver said:
Am I missing something, or are you just repeating exactly what I stated? I very rarely play instaGib, but so far dodging (or even dodgejumping) hasn't proved deadlier or less deadly than walking, provided you do it randomish enough.
Heh, I meant in insta, not normal weapons. Well, the servers I play insta on, you dodge while fighting, you die.
Anyway, it's late (23:50), just thought I'd quickly reply ;)

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
menelik_seth said:
Noob rant: "Know thy surroundings..."
Very good idea. If you try to fight someone while running backwards (I do it all the time) but you don't know what's coming up behind you, you're gonna get caught on something and whooped (I do that all the time too).

menelik_seth

a.k.a 'Youngblood'
A funny thing; until recently, it never occured to me to fight while running backwards (I would always turn and hightail it outta there... but end up gettin fragged). As I understand it, u move at the same speed when ur running backwards; and jump the same distance, right?

Anyways I tried doin it a few times and it really gave me that edge I was looking for; esp when fighting defensively against bots/players who are overly agressive and tend to try to "mow you down" every chance they get... runnin backwards gives you a chance to putsome distance, while you nail em with ur hitscan weapon of choice.... watchu think?

flak-spammer

flak-spammer literally
May 20, 2005
Canada
Another thing that I have found is to wall dodge down stairs it could save your life on occasion, although walldodges can sometime be tricky not always though. Keep in mind that you should practice new skills all the time.

flak-spammer

flak-spammer literally
May 20, 2005
Canada
Oh Yeah and I forgot tip for total newbs Do Not fire rockets down this would be called rocket jumping and will not work. Trust me I have tried and alas all I got was a flying dead body. So don't do it.

Taleweaver

Wandering spirit
May 11, 2004
Off course
You switch to different vehicle seats by pressing the appropriate 'switchweapons' buttons. By default, these are numbers 1, 2, 3, ...
In the cicada, the gunner seat is nr.2. When an AVRiL is fired, press 2, press alt fire (to launch an AVRiL-confusing flare) and press 1 again to proceed flying.

Renegade Retard

Defender of the newbie
Dec 18, 2002
TX
Visit site
Just as you change seats in the Hellbender. The number keys change your seats. I think 1 is the pilot, 2 is the gunner.

It's been a while for me though.

Edit - Dang it TW!

Trynant

Manic Brawler
Jan 31, 2002
Quiet Island
trynant.wordpress.com
I'm almost certain someone said this before...

BTW, one way to get better at the game is by finding good sparring buddies. It's not exactly going to improve your skill by killing Hyrulian_Hero the whole match (jk!). Find a clan and see if you can get it, and then realize how good/bad you are.

In my case, I lost a 10 min 1on1 54-1....

Despite the fact that there's the chance your ass will never be as small as it used to be, you get to learn how the pro's are playing.

Though from what I've read it's all about knowing the map and being able to hitscan with godlike aim :p