The ut2004 tips and tricks thread.

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

menelik_seth

a.k.a 'Youngblood'
I found it very handy to learn to work the corners, and narrow spaces: use the wall for cover while attacking the enemy, and staying out of his line of sight... strafing in and out of doorways at an angle, and using splash damage in choke areas...

Still gettin pwned by inhuman bots in 1v1 duels. My aim isnt 100% and I'm adjustin to this nostromo n52. Ah well :) love for the game, and enjoyin it... all dat matters.

Can't wait for ADSL to get here so I can game online...

The Punisher

[GU]Punisher, skiller and alien killer
Jan 15, 2005
Yogi_ said:
n00b question, what's the best way to consistently get up the "slide" ramps in DM-Rankin? I'm talking about those things that look like sheets of metal leaning against a ledge, that you seem to be able to slide up them... I can dodge-jump up them maybe 4 times out of 10, but is there a trick to it?
Running side dodge is your friend. ;)

Fox85

Aug 11, 2005
Germany
Problem with UT2004

Hello!

I have the following problem with UT2004, maybe someone here can answer me...
I have an AMD 3000+ processor, an ATI Radeon 9600 graphics chip and 1 GB ram. But UT2004 simply doesn't get to the required performance. When I play Onslaught, framerate always gets down to 20-25, and the game always swaps as if there was not enough system ram. If I open windows task manager, it shows that the game consumes up to 700 (!) megs of ram. Is this normal? Shouldn't I get a higher fps on my system?

Greetz, Fox

Taleweaver

Wandering spirit
May 11, 2004
Off course
Fox85 said:
Hello!

I have the following problem with UT2004, maybe someone here can answer me...
I have an AMD 3000+ processor, an ATI Radeon 9600 graphics chip and 1 GB ram. But UT2004 simply doesn't get to the required performance. When I play Onslaught, framerate always gets down to 20-25, and the game always swaps as if there was not enough system ram. If I open windows task manager, it shows that the game consumes up to 700 (!) megs of ram. Is this normal? Shouldn't I get a higher fps on my system?

Greetz, Fox
I think you also got a problem figuring out how a forum works. That's okay since you're new, though.
Basically, a forum is a bunch of discussion groups that are grouped together by topic. To allow people to find important information faster (or contribute to them), these lists are grouped by subject. For example, this list is called "UT2004 tips and tricks" and will negotiate only that.

For performance options, I suggest you check out this link. It's another discussion that contains exactly what you want to know. I suggest you read through it, and if it doesn't help you, you can answer in that list (lists are called 'threads', btw).

Welcome to BeyondUnreal, though :)

ALG

Gallardo
Jul 26, 2005
WI, with the other pro gamers
My thread!

Anyway quick question for some of you pro 1 on 1 guys. (This seems to kinda relate to the sparring theme here). How much stuff do you time? Just 100a? 100a and 50a? weapons too? health vials!?!? I seem to have trouble with anything more than 100.

m&ms

Melts in your mouth, not in your hand.
Jul 13, 2003
in a bag....duh
Visit site
From what I've heard, they don't really time everything. They just need to keep timing on a few items, and they run paths around them map. That way you just need to know when to get the first item in a path, and the others will all spawn as you get to them.

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
Nice sig, m.

The 100a is essential. You can get by with only timing that, but it can only be beneficial to do what m&ms said. You should mix it up to keep from being predictable though.

The pickups work in multiples of 27.5 (which I never actually realized until Raffi pointed it out).

Weapons, health, vials, 50a = 1 x 27.5
100a = 2 x 27.5 (55)
Amp = 3 x 27.5 (82.5)
'Deemer = 4 x 27.5 (110)

Last edited:

ThirtySixBelow

tactical inaccuracy
Feb 6, 2005
Unless the skill of the players is very very close then timing anything more than the 100a or 50a is probably not necissary. Aside from regular health packs there are two spots in roughinery and one spot in ironic where two health packs are next to eachother. I would think that might be worthy of keeping close to. I'm not too great at 1on1 yet, but that has just been my experience.

ThirtySixBelow

tactical inaccuracy
Feb 6, 2005
You're probably right. Roughinery is the only map I don't really know all that well. So if i'm mistaking something, i'm sure it's in that map.

Jerm

Sep 27, 2005
I have been playing for over a year now and in that time i managed to reach the top 3 of my country in 1v1, even beating the second best dueler on one occasion (although this doesnt stand for ****). To answer whoever asked about timing 50 shield and 100 shield : yes i time both shields at the same time, and if i want to maintain control of the weapons to prevent my opponent from having a chance to kill me i string a lot of weapons and shields together(what m&ms said), (called locking down the map) . For instance, im at the 50 shield in rankin, i take the 50 shield, then the lightning gun, the shock rifle and walk up the vial ramp(next to the link gun in the corner of the map). So the next time the 50 shield respawns i KNOW that the lightning gun,shock rifle and the vials will all respawn in succession. The skill in this is trying to maintain lock down of the map whilst also getting the 100 shield at the same time - sometimes trying to maintain lock down will result in your opponent getting the 100.. so it is important to balance control

Last edited:

Jerm

Sep 27, 2005
ThirtySixBelow said:
Unless the skill of the players is very very close then timing anything more than the 100a or 50a is probably not necissary. Aside from regular health packs there are two spots in roughinery and one spot in ironic where two health packs are next to eachother. I would think that might be worthy of keeping close to. I'm not too great at 1on1 yet, but that has just been my experience.

you only need to watch the health when your opponent needs it man, timing weapons and vials is necessary as well :)

briach

ಠ_ಠ DaReTaL ಠ_ಠ
Sep 2, 2005
º_º FeiShan º_º
yeah I was super pissed about it at first because I used to dive in the lava with shield a lot for fun on deck17.

If they don't like us diving into lava they should make the shield gun bounce us away from it so you can skip across lava with the shieldgun, that would be cool.

I just don't like the fact that they are taking something out of the game when it didn't need to be taken out and people find amusement in fooling around with the feature.

Ohwell.

Regarding 1v1 mapcontrol: Thank goodness for there not being stacking 50s in ut2k4.

dc

Aug 17, 2005
Hyrulian Hero said:
We're eventually gonna need some tricks to help us with the fact that thanks to the stupid upcoming patch, shield guns won't help against lava/slime/etc. :mad:
Don't fall in. Problem solved. ^__________^

i find i time just 100, dont bother with amp much as 1v1, its not on, and team games, other players time it. while i dont time it. concerning weapons, health and 50, i dont time them, but sort of have gotten used to it and can tell when there about to spawn, unless in dm with more than 4 players, then it all goes to shight. lol

edit: for a cheap trick, if ur opponent is low, and u only have 100 health, no shield, do a bit of damage on urself, and take the health pack, works for me

Last edited: