The ut2004 tips and tricks thread.

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

APS||IGuaNa|Ti

DFM Clan Member
Sep 15, 2004
Somewhere in the Universe
Taleweaver said:
Unrelated: I've read on this thread that you can take out grenades that are attached to you by using your shield gun prim fire. Can anyone confirm this?

Well i've tried it but it didnt work :(, so i dont know if it is true
but i can also be related to a patch installed. So maybe it was possible with the first patches or even the unpatched version. I really dont know :lol:

Jun 23, 2004
www.jumpinjuggernuts.com
Is it possible to detonate rockets with your shield primary? Like you wouldnt take full damage. Not sure if possible now. Well I'm not sure about this but I "did it" couple times online, but then again anything can happen online. It could of been one of those freak situations cause by lag. Probably lag...

Taleweaver

Wandering spirit
May 11, 2004
Off course
briachiae said:
Is it possible to detonate rockets with your shield primary? Like you wouldnt take full damage. Not sure if possible now. Well I'm not sure about this but I "did it" couple times online, but then again anything can happen online. It could of been one of those freak situations cause by lag. Probably lag...
Your shield primary? You mean hitting the rocket to detonate it right in front of you, so you don't take full damage but just the splash damage of the explosion?
I never heard of it, but haven't tried it either...shield alternate does stop rockets (though the shield isn't big enough to completely block off the explosion), so I'll stick to that one.

APS||IGuaNa|Ti

DFM Clan Member
Sep 15, 2004
Somewhere in the Universe
Taleweaver said:
Your shield primary? You mean hitting the rocket to detonate it right in front of you, so you don't take full damage but just the splash damage of the explosion?
I never heard of it, but haven't tried it either...shield alternate does stop rockets (though the shield isn't big enough to completely block off the explosion), so I'll stick to that one.

Well im sure you dont have enough time to switch to the shield gun in combat when rockets flies towards you. i think its far more easier to dodge away from those rockets. This is what i do in combat. And offcource i never stand still so i always dodge away. And if you dont have anymore ammo hen the shield is all what you've left and then its a very handy protecting weapon to reflect the most damage from other weapons.

But you can also stop the rockets with the shock core. just shoot a core toward a rocket ot even an flak ball. The Core stop these balls and rockets and does not explode. this is always a nice trick.

Taleweaver

Wandering spirit
May 11, 2004
Off course
:lol: Of course I didn't mean to switch back to the shield gun. But it's a good idea to switch back to it once you have low health, to save yourself. Dodging and dodge jumping are indeed the main options to use when avoiding damage of any kind.

In other news: I finally got around to update my onslaught combat guide to include the ECE vehicles :)

rhirud

Fast learning novice
Feb 20, 2004
Just read your guide. You're not a scorpion fan are you??

There are a few important points worth knowing with the scorpion, that makes it a lot more useful.

The first is that you need to modify user.ini, to change the colour of the scorpion's brackets. Having 2 colours instead of just white makes targetting far easier.

The second is that there's 2 tactics with the scorpion. The first is to shoot loads of small bolas from very far away. By the time they spot you, there's already anther 5-6 bolas on their way. The other is to never shoot in the direction you are facing. It takes some practice - and you need to watch out you don't drive into trees and the like, but in general, fire at 90 degrees to the direction you are traveling. The classic opportunity to do this is when trying to re-take your first node in dria. Keep moving quickly, - there's plenty of space, and fire at the node. Your actions seem inoccuous at first, but once the bolas converge on the node, ;-).

Also useful when trying to run down infantry.

Fire a bola in one direction, and drive towards where they'll need to dodge.

The key thing about a scorpion - it's fast and weakly armoured - so you need stealth. Don't take the direct and obvious route - go round, hit them from behind, or from a distance in an unexpected place. If you approach a tank from behind - often easy in crosssfire, he doesn't have a chance.

As a general principle - i stay close to tanks in a scorpion. You'll usually die taking on a tank, but you have a 50 50 chance of killing the tank though. And in the grand game of chess that is onslaught, sacrificing a knight to take a castle is worthwhile.

Taleweaver

Wandering spirit
May 11, 2004
Off course
rhirud said:
Just read your guide. You're not a scorpion fan are you??

There are a few important points worth knowing with the scorpion, that makes it a lot more useful.
No, I'm not a scorpion fan. You can barely manoeuver and it has weak armor, so I always feel like I'm driving around in a coffin. I updated the guide with your idea's, though. :)
My vehicle crosshairs are all green, instead of white. Either way, it's not what my text is about, so it isn't added.

@APS||IGuaNa|Ti: this isn't the right place to ask this. I think you better send a PM to one of the admins to clear this up (Hal, Raffi_B or QAPete...or anyone else who has the permission for it)

7even

I Love Onslaught!
rhirud said:
As a general principle - i stay close to tanks in a scorpion. You'll usually die taking on a tank, but you have a 50 50 chance of killing the tank though. And in the grand game of chess that is onslaught, sacrificing a knight to take a castle is worthwhile.
What a beautiful sentence! I love it! :D

And yes, I already have managed a few times what you said about killing a tank with a scorpion.
But it depends a lot on the skill of the tank driver and external circumstances.

The best advantage of the scorpion is its agility - so you are nearly dead when you drive against a tree or anything else. You have to keep your speed and you have to make quick changes in direction.

Nevertheless the scorpion isn't my first choice. ;)

rhirud

Fast learning novice
Feb 20, 2004
http://forums.beyondunreal.com/showthread.php?t=141600&highlight=crosshairs+scorpion

Agreed - a scorpion isn't the best, and can be a high speed coffin, but it irritates me when people just use as a high speed taxi; I think of it as a shield, or an extra life. Whizz around for a bit, cause some confusion, get out and carry on on foot. But in a way, it's weakness is a strength. If you attack in a group, people will tend to ignore a scorpion in preferance to other targets.

This suits me fine.

Taleweaver

Wandering spirit
May 11, 2004
Off course
BooGiTyBoY said:
I learnedon the Atari forums this evening that even when you have "view landing shake" off, it still registers and can affect your aim as you land!
I already knew that...but the thread where it originated sure is worth mentioning.

Also: I learned this on the INA forums: some weapons can be loaded up (bio rifle and rocket launcher). While loading up you can't switch to another weapon. If you do, the weapon switch will wait until the weapon fires. However: there is one exception: if you load up a weapon, switch to another weapon and then pick up that weapon a second time, you will switch to that weapon (this means you can't perform this if 'weapons stay' is on). As soon as you switch back to the previous weapon, it will immediately release the loaded content.

AMmayhem

Mayhem is everywhere
Nov 3, 2001
NaliCity, MI
Visit site
rhirud said:
This vehichle wrecks nodes faster than any other vehichle. Mainly because it can get there quickly and has awsome firepower.

If you don't have a competent co-pilot, it has a hard time against infantry.

One of the best things I've used the second seat for is taking out enemy vehicles. It may be hard to aim while someone else flying, but the primary fire can take out even a goliath in no time. While playing offline, sometimes I'll have to take a high altitude, jump in the second seat and take out some vehicles attacking one of my nodes. It's great against raptors too, once you hit them they get knocked around and lose aim, giving you the upper hand; just don't let them get above you.

Dirdmister

Apr 12, 2004
Birmingham, England
dirdmister.bravehost.com
Does ne1 know anything bout this teleport "glitch" (cheat) on faceclassic?? everybody is teleportin bak to their own base wit the flag and its fucl<1ng annoying..i spend like 1/2 hour lookin for a server without a cheat and by the time i find one a cheat joins like 10 mins later...does any1 know how they do it???

Taleweaver

Wandering spirit
May 11, 2004
Off course
Well, I don't play UT2004 anymore, but that doesn't mean I can't write about it anymore, right?
I used the past month to go through all my stuff, and made some improvements on just about any page. Let's see...

Happy reading :)

Renegade Retard

Defender of the newbie
Dec 18, 2002
TX
Visit site
Dirdmister said:
Does ne1 know anything bout this teleport "glitch" (cheat) on faceclassic?? everybody is teleportin bak to their own base wit the flag and its fucl<1ng annoying..i spend like 1/2 hour lookin for a server without a cheat and by the time i find one a cheat joins like 10 mins later...does any1 know how they do it???

It's been know for a while by some, but it's just now being made "public" by people complaining about it. People complain by posting how to do in on forums such as this, others read it and the go and do it. So now within just the past few weeks, it's become a problem.

My suggestion - stay off demo servers or Face only servers.