Recent Fads/Trends That Will Shamefully Define this Generation

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Zaccix

Truth, by Banksy
Nov 10, 1999
London, UK
The loudness war. Granted, average album sound levels have been creeping up since the 80s, but it was in the 00s that it became totally crazy. It took the release of Metallica's Death Magnetic album to make people realise that mainstream music today has little to no dynamic range.

Also, auto-tune: making bad singers sound good since 1997.

DarkED

The Great Oppression
Mar 19, 2006
Right behind you.
www.nodanites.com
The loudness war. Granted, average album sound levels have been creeping up since the 80s, but it was in the 00s that it became totally crazy. It took the release of Metallica's Death Magnetic album to make people realise that mainstream music today has little to no dynamic range.

I second that. It's actually been getting easier and easier to notice, especially on the radio. The audio quality of new music is becoming lower and lower. Eventually the 'cool' music will sound like it's being played on a Hi-Fi.

M.A.D.X.W

Aug 24, 2008
Oh ****, there goes my plan of seeking happiness in the UK. Can you post a chart to show where Chav infestation is worst ?
map_england.jpg
^^The green (?) area shows where the problem is at its worst.

I hope that was a joke.
What, no way, i was being so serious i almost broke the Internet.
Hot emo's are hot.

-

Zach Braff is also hot, thats one guy i would happily marry.
zach-braff-fundraiser.jpg

Neddaf

Just a flesh wound!
Jul 19, 2001
Los Angeles, California
The one thing about this generation that I will miss is "class". "Class" is a subjective term but honestly, nothing has had it except for some artists (like Common). Most of the **** out there is horrendous.

Oh and I can't wait until Major Record Labels totally collapse. It will be the greatest thing for live music and REAL music since well, before they took over.

Neddaf

Just a flesh wound!
Jul 19, 2001
Los Angeles, California
Oh and Republicans. They've been fun for the past 25 years, but honestly, this "neo-con" ****, and shock jock maneuvers are pathetic, boring, and old.

I read an Ann Coulter book recently. She thinks all liberals are stupid. I can see why, I thought her book was fiction and I constantly laughed, only to be surprised that it was real.

Lruce Bee

Transcending to another level
May 3, 2001
Sherwood Forest
Couple of things I would point out as being indicative of this generation:

1) Dope - this stuff has crept in slowly but surely into society like a cancer and doesn't seem to be slowing down one bit - I concluded that 99% of the worlds population is possibly smoking weed & still thinking it's OK.
2) Alcohol - under age drinking seems to have spiralled out of control to the point where it's considered epidemic nowadays - I can't ever recall it being as bad as it is today in my youth.
3) Apathy - the current generation can't seem to commit to anything these days and the couldn't give a damned attitude permeates every facet of their lives.
4) Students - this is a student generation - they seem to be in education like forever these days and rack up an unbelievable amount of debt, mum and dad usually continue to support them long after they've left uni.
5) Boy Bags - you know those massive handbags students carry around supposedly full of books - part emo accessory I believe.
6) Yob culture - big buzz word during 90's/early 2000 and still applicable today - these people should be shot on sight with no questions asked.
7) 9/11 - I could never really understand what all the fuss was about for the 9th of November until I realised you americans have month, day & year for some weird reason instead of a logical progression like day, month then year - the event itself was absolutely tragic whilst defining what will possibly be seen as a turning point in history.

Lruce

Continuum

Lobotomistician
Jul 24, 2005
Boise

1) Dope - No more bans
2) Alcohol - Being able to buy it ons Sunday is a God given right that no government should be allowed to encroach upon.
3) Apathy - Sheep
4) Schools - Cost is inflated to several thousand times it's worth. If your not a star athlete or a minority you'll owe money the rest of your life unless your parents are rich.
5) Boy Bags - A little excersise would keep the population from being so overweight.
6) Melvin
7) Time & Calenders - Every culture has it's own calendar based off a completely different system. Even the ones that have the same system have differences, daylight ****ing savings kiss my ass. It's actually impossible to wright software that is capable of dealing with all the variations.

Lruce

DarkED

The Great Oppression
Mar 19, 2006
Right behind you.
www.nodanites.com

1) Dope - this stuff has crept in slowly but surely into society like a cancer and doesn't seem to be slowing down one bit - I concluded that 99% of the worlds population is possibly smoking weed & still thinking it's OK.

That's because it IS okay. Just because something is illegal doesn't automatically make it bad for you. Weed has absolutely no documented harmful effects if used as directed. And finally, people have been smoking weed since the 1930's at least, and the Native Americans before that even. It's not something that just 'crept up' in the current generation, it was widespread in a few previous generations. Did you forget the 60's and 70's? :D

All else on your list, I agree wholeheartedly.

Last edited:

dragonfliet

I write stuffs
Apr 24, 2006
I second that. It's actually been getting easier and easier to notice, especially on the radio. The audio quality of new music is becoming lower and lower. Eventually the 'cool' music will sound like it's being played on a Hi-Fi.

Erk, remember that audio fidelity and dynamic range are not the same things. Today's music lacks that dynamic range (ie: REALLY soft to REALLY loud--it tends to be loud to slightly louder). Audio quality hasn't gone down (except for a few (and they are few) instances of silly producers and engineers letting their music clip; the idiots), that you be your perception of the type of music being played.

~Jason

IronMonkey

Moi?
Apr 23, 2005
Scotland
www.margrave.myzen.co.uk
Audio quality hasn't gone down
I think the key phrase in Sine Deviance's quote was "especially on the radio."

Two things that I can think of that drive that:

• Automatic companders/limiters. Especially noticable in classical music (yes, I know we were discussing loud rock) where in days gone by the engineer would know the piece and start winding the gain back gently and well in advance of a loud passage. Nowdays the sudden loud passage catches the limiter unaware and the sudden application causes audible distortion. But hey! The studio has saved the cost of an engineer!
  • Here in the UK, DAB (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Audio_Broadcasting) broadcast at too low a bit rate is a real issue in respect of audio quality.
Audio quality of production might well be fine but the delivery to the consumer via radio has definitely suffered over the years.

dragonfliet

I write stuffs
Apr 24, 2006
yikes, the UK got screwed there. Yay for the US and the HD radio.

As for limiters, unless I understand incorrectly (entirely possible) that would be on the user side of the equation, with the radio station simply broadcasting the music as-is and if the user is using a radio with an automatic volume limiter enabled, then it could lead to distortion. Many radio/mp3 players either don't have one (cheap ones) or have options to turn such a feature off.

~Jason

togmkn

tog-em-kay-en
Jun 9, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
OJ Simpson did time, Bud Light with lime
Jon and Kate Plus Eight, Jonas Brothers fun to hate

Kim Jong Il, Taepodong
Beyond Unreal Dark Pulse is wrong

California Governator, Instant message C U L8r
Lehman Brothers went to Hell, Gotta have more cow-bell

Face-book, You Tube, O-bama, Swine Flu
George Bush, Git-mo, WISH MY LAWN WAS EMOOO!!

WE DIDN'T START THE FI-YAH!!!

Iron Archer

Holy ****ing King of Trolls
Mar 23, 2000
Obamaland
Unless you've been smoking it for the past 3 years i don't think you know enough about it to say that sht.
You've probably just heard loads of crap about drugs on TV and stuff, but really it aint so bad, its pretty safe really.

Drugs are very helpful to society

So shutya face!

edit: i agree with you about the alcohol though. I dont drink

Relativity is a funny thing. "I do it, so it CAN'T be bad!" :lol:

Jacks:Revenge

╠╣E╚╚O
Jun 18, 2006
somewhere; sometime?
it's not "relativity."

it's evidence.

millions of people use marijuana recreationally with no ill effects. no one has ever over-dosed on it. for that matter, nor has anyone ever died as a direct result of using it.

now it can be abused just like alcohol or nicotine.
but the difference is, when people abuse alcohol they have been shown to become violent and belligerent, rape family members/beat their spouse, kill someone while driving home from the bar, or choke to death on their own vomit as they lie with their head in the toilet.

when you abuse marijuana, you'll probably just lose your social life, maybe your job, and develop a chronic cough. that's about the worst of it.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000

Kim Jong Il, Taepodong

I love how you had to throw Dark Pulse is wrong in there. ;)

Mar 19, 2002
Denver Co. USA
Visit site

Kim Jong Il, Taepodong

that was ****ing awesome.
________
California Medical Marijuana Dispensary

Last edited: