Rate the Last Movie You Watched

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Manticore

Official BUF Angel of Death (also Birthdays)
Staff member
Nov 5, 2003
Optimum Trajectory-Circus of Values
Well I wouldn't be so sure about that. The way he said "hmm" and "ughh" and "hmwrm". And how we swung that laserrifle PEW PEW. And the expression on that face was... very......
And that was the extent of his (very limited) range.

Sin City: A Dame to Kill For (3D)-7/10

Firstly, and probably most importantly, I saw this on a 3D TV and the 3D is phenomenal because the art direction/style of Sin City totally lends itself to 3D.

The movie looks brilliant and while it has a lot of distasteful moments, it is probably not as powerful, or violent, as the original. That deosn't mean in isn't worth seeing; it is actually a bit more tongue-in-cheek and "light-hearted" (if that's at all possible in a Sin City movie) than the original.

At least, being a Miller and Rodriguez film, it has heart and story.

Hunter

BeyondUnreal Newsie
Aug 20, 2001
...Behind You...
www.unrealfans.com
Thor: Ragnarok - 9/10
Very much enjoyed this, felt much like watching the first Guardians of the Galaxy a very welcome break from the gritty Avengers universe and didn't take itself seriously at all.

Paddington Bear 2 - 7/10

Went with family for my son's first cinema trip (he's 2) and was a pretty enjoyable experience with some feels thrown in for good measure.

Its a good family film, especially for younger kids.

Manticore

Staff member
Nov 5, 2003
The Imitation Game-10/10

A heroic but sad and tragic true story (and one we all probably know).

Brilliantly acted and, in my opinion, some of the best cinematography for choice of lenses, lighting and overall production values, that I have seen in a long time.

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
Jurassic park commentary track by Redlettermedia: 10/10

My favourite movie anal sis group of the interwebz. If the webz would crash, fakebook and twitturd can go to hell and whatever.. but redlettermedia must remain.

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
Alien resurrection 7-7.5/10

It's been ages I watched this one. Actually, I think I did enjoy it this time. To a certain extent. It's a "been there done that" feeling you get. Ripley is back, yay. But she's nasty now. ok.
The experiments on the Aliens were a nice touch, and the showcasing of their quick learning/intelligence. The models look ehmm.. somewhat convincing, somewhat corny. The spaceship sometimes have quite a "roger corman" feel to them. But most of the time I don't mind them. Sometimes it's more charming than cgi (.. remember the sw prequels).
Well, people die... something is born and also dies. It would have been better had the ..humalien thing been born halfway the movie though.
But whatever, there's some true comedy at the end and I was laughing out loud. Almost hysterically. I swear it said "OH NOOOO'.. but I can't be sure. I'd like to think it did though. Who wouldn't.

And I like the visual style of the movie: the colours, the hallways, the lighthing. It works. But I sure hope Ripley will never return.
But I guess she kind of did in the new Alien movie...

When.. when are they going to make a yoda vs aliens movie; You know, like, Yoda is like all comfortable and lazily sitting on his cozy rock chair.. and then there's an Alien party at the door hissing and spitting venom. And Yoda takes out his little lightsaber and goes to town on them... and he gets showered with acid and...

and yeah, they all get stoned and party all night long. Then suddenly Luke returns and the Aliens quickly run away to the next Alien movie. And Yoda is all serious business again. And Luke asks him... "didn't you die". And Yoda says the magic word.. disney...

dotnetbeast

Mood Muzik
Feb 14, 2006
Washington D.C.
Justice League - 7.5 / 10
I enjoyed it. Feel like (of course) the Zack Snyder version would've been 10 times better (I'm not a fan of Joss Whedon) but still enjoyed this.

Manticore

Staff member
Nov 5, 2003
Alien resurrection 7-7.5/10.
"Earth man; what a shithole......."

The Amazing Spiderman 2: Rise of Electro-6/10

If anything I think they tried to cram too much story into this film. The plot threads seemed to fall over each other and then fall apart in places.

Spiderman was done well and it's interesting to see the differences they've created between Peter Parker and the Spiderman alter-ego.

The plot left me wondering why they even bothered making a third film (Spiderman Homecoming) for the character..... in my opinion this is possibly the weakest of all the Spiderman films (including Sam Raimi's Spiderman trilogy).

Manticore

Staff member
Nov 5, 2003
Flightplan-6/10

I've seen this before and it's a great exercise in paranoia and a reasonably tense thriller. This time watching it it it seemed to rush a bit at the ending. Good acting all around from Jodie Foster, Peter Sarsgaard, Erika Christensen, Kate Beahan, Greta Scacchi, and Sean Bean.

Manticore

Staff member
Nov 5, 2003
Silent Running-8/10

This is a movie that predates Star Wars:

Silent Running is a 1972 environmentally-themed American post-apocalyptic science fiction film starring Bruce Dern, featuring Cliff Potts, Ron Rifkin and Jesse Vint. It was directed by Douglas Trumbull, who had previously worked as a special effects supervisor on science fiction films, including 2001: A Space Odyssey and The Andromeda Strain.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silent_Running

The director has been very influential in Hollywood sci-fi over the years:

Douglas Huntley Trumbull (born April 8, 1942) is an American film director and special effects supervisor. He contributed to, or was responsible for, the special photographic effects of 2001: A Space Odyssey, Close Encounters of the Third Kind, Star Trek: The Motion Picture, Blade Runner and The Tree of Life, and directed the movies Silent Running and Brainstorm.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Douglas_Trumbull

It's also a film I haven't seen in decades so I'd forgotten a lot of the detail although I remembered how it ends. Bruce Dern gives a great performance. For its time it's a pretty unique, but still relevant, film story.

Silent_running.jpg

Manticore

Staff member
Nov 5, 2003
Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi-Something/10

It's Star Wars. It's got massive spoilers. Some people will like it some people will hate it. If you do like it see it before all the spoilers are out everywhere over the internet.

It makes you want Episode IX but not in any bad way..........

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
Seems some people really hate it. I'm just having a great time laughing at all the idiocy. I don't care about those movies. Might watch them at some point in my life, like dnb said in the other thread, but right now.. nah. I watched redlettermedia's half in the bag review of it. It had all the spoiler but I didn't care. The whole disney machine fan lunacy thing is all the temporary fun I need.

Manticore

Staff member
Nov 5, 2003
Dunkirk-7/10

I've seen this flick billed as "a masterpiece". As far as telling the story goes I'd call it more "surreal and poetic" with the story told in sequences of flashbacks and flash forwards. One thing you can say about it is that it definitely plays like a Chris Nolan film.

Hans Zimmer's music is pretty good and the style of the music adds to the surreal vibe of the film.

Last edited: