M16A4 public beta release

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

chuckus

Can't stop the bum rush.
Sep 23, 2001
Visit site
I think it adds a new twist to INF and besides... you cna't force anyone to make a specific weapon. I"m happy Duke is making weapons regardless of how they perform. It gives the community a chance to see making INF weapons IS possible and especially with the speed these things are coming out. It gives me hope that one day I'll have my G36c in game :D

geogob

Koohii o nomimasu ka?
I also agree with duke... first off, he never took te charge of doing it as real as it gets. Second, and most the most important thing is that he is make these weapons. As long as he is doing it (and not many others are doing it) I'd say he can pretty much do it like he wants.

Even if I push a lot towards realism, I'm _VERY_ happy with duke's work.

mat69

just fooling around
Dec 9, 2001
Österreich
www.combatmaps.de
I tried out the M16A4 the first time online today and I have to say that you did a pretty good job. Ok now you could say it is too strong and that's maybe true, but that's the way it is. In reality some weapons are "better" than others are, people still get killed with those "bad" weapons. A weapon with a grenade launcher AND a silenter is what I allways wanted. :)
So thanks for the weapon. And the skin is great. :)

gal-z

May 20, 2003
Ramat-Hasharon, Israel
Visit site
Read the first page, and unless it was changed already, m203 ladder sights should be 50, 100, 150, 200, 250, and when shooting to 250 the flash hider should be blocking your view (which doesn't happen with an M4 or car-15).

Crowze

Bird Brain
Feb 6, 2002
Cambridgeshire, UK
www.dan-roberts.co.uk
For the starting-with-pistol thing, go to your InfiltrationUser.ini, scroll down to the WeaponPriority= list, and add INFc_M16A4 somewhere. I believe higher numbers is higher priority. Duke, you might want to add something about this to the readme.

Actually, just noticed it's already there, must be automatically added by inf. You can just move it up above the pistols (or to wherever you want it).

Derelan

Tracer Bullet
Jul 29, 2002
Toronto, Ontario
Visit site
i just tried out the m16a4 to day, and it is quite beautiful. I know this has been posted before, but i still can't see the animation for when the m203 chamber is opened, even when i'm looking at the sky.

Great work, duke.

gal-z

May 20, 2003
Ramat-Hasharon, Israel
Visit site
I don't have time to verify, but it's the wrong sound used... It's easily noticeable, especially if u emptied your magazine (it uses the sound of when u press the "whatever-its-called" that makes the bolt go forward, forogt its name in English).

chuckus

Can't stop the bum rush.
Sep 23, 2001
Visit site
Dude have you ever reloaded an m16? I know I've realoded a c7a1... and to be honest, I don't recall there being a uniform precise reload sound everytime I inserted a magazine. Dude it doesn't matter!!! It can never be "as real as it gets" it terms of sounds and animations. If you want the real thing THAT bad then sign up for the reserves like I did and get all the realism you want without losing your leg (unless your stupid on the firing range).

"whatever-its-called" that makes the bolt go forward
That's a bolt-catch...

P.S. When I load a magazine, the animation and sound for the m16a4 is more realistic than on the m16a2. But I also know that's due to my experience as well as interpretation. There is no "real" sound. this is close enough.

Zundfolge

Dec 13, 1999
USA
Let's test gal-z's theory ...

/me gets up from computer, walks about 10 feet to closet in corner of office and removes one Rock River Arms AR-15 (16" A2 w/Stainless Steel barrel and standard A2 style stock) and a 30 round USGI magazine loaded with Winchester 55gr. .223 FMJ (purchased at Walmart in the 40 round "value pack").

Next /me pulls back charging handle, locks bolt open then inserts magazine into magwell ... smacks the bottom for good measure, depresses bolt-catch and listens.

Hmm ... sounds pretty damn close to "in-game" if you ask me.

It does sound like the same sound is used in game when you smack the magazine in place and when you hit the bolt-catch ... but in reality those sounds are pretty similar too.

Maybe if I could get my hands on some Thermold magazines it would sound different (the Magazine I used was a metal USGI type magazine made by Sanchez).

Last edited:

-Freshmeat

Eternally noob
Dec 4, 2003
Denmark
Visit site
Then how about somebody taking their guns and recording equipment to produce raw material for Crowse? I know it is not that easy, but somebody might hit it just right.

-Freshmeat

Zundfolge

Dec 13, 1999
USA
gal-z said:
My point was that tapping the magazine in makes the same sound as hitting the bolt-catch. It looks more like a bug, which is why I reported it.
Dr.J said:
i do agree that when you tap in the magazine the sound does appear to be exaggerated.... but thats something that can be quickly fixed with a sound engineer ;)

In Real Life the "slap magazine" sound and the "bolt-catch" sound are pretty similar ... maybe the bolt catch sound is slightly louder, so I don't think using the same sound in-game is that inaccurate.

When you slap the bottom of the magazine in real life it causes all the rounds in the magazine to "jump" which is somewhat noisy.

If we want to complain about a lack of realistic sound, where's the annoying Sproing noise that the spring in the stock makes when most AR-15/M-16 pattern rifles make when shot? (frankly I'm glad that noise isn't there ;) ).

Last edited: