2008 Make Something Unreal Contest Announced

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

toniglandyl

internal data fragmentation : 62203480%
Jan 20, 2006
diceedge.blogspot.com
[VaLkyR]Anubis;2111176 said:
“$1 Million Intel make something Unreal contest”,holy moly,that is crazy,hui,the winner can be extremely proud if he won the money.Just impressive!:)

the winner doesn't win 1 million dollars. the million dollar is the total of the sum delivered to all of the winners.

the number 1 TC team does get a UE3 license IIRC, and that's really really good !

Quaglax

May the funk be with you...
Apr 25, 2006
ATL
To be honest, I would expect, that the majority of the owners of UT3 PC, already play online, and the others are playing something else - or the others are modders.

Actually I think your wrong...I know A LOT of people who only play UT3 offline...so dont think just cause people arent playing online doesnt mean they arent playing..

Quaglax

Apr 25, 2006
ATL
Well the last MSU definitely changed our team's lives. Good luck to all the mod teams entering this.

Hell yeah guys! I've run into a few of you around town here in Roswell :D Great guys to talk to...very nice! If you guys need any testers or anything let me know since I live about 30 seconds away from your offices :p

Last edited:

Quaglax

Apr 25, 2006
ATL
Here's hoping - but then the '£50,000' UT3 tournament flopped badly, with only 16 teams signing up, and half of them not showing to compete for any matches.

June is a really restrictive date - think that anyone serious about going into games development is either working full time, or doing their exams / finals at university right now - and if they haven't already started, then after May, they've only got two months to chuck something out, if real life doesn't intervene in any way, then it's possible, but who can sit on their arse without earning a living for so long?

I know a **** load of people who can do that :)

Anuban

Your reward is that you are still alive
Apr 4, 2005
Well they finally announced it ... cool! Should mean lots of decent content hitting us users in the future. I love this stuff! Its just too bad that certain things cannot be modded so there is a group of modders left out of this competition. Other than that though this is good news for UT3.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
To be honest, I would expect, that the majority of the owners of UT3 PC, already play online, and the others are playing something else - or the others are modders.
Uhhh... if UT3 sold around 800,000 units across the PC and PS3 last year, it's unlikely that only around 1,500 of those were PC copies.

Brits_Hit

Flak Monkey
Aug 1, 2003
Toronto, Canada
dynamic5.gamespy.com
I play UT3 offline, and never really have played an unreal game online that much. Even SF and TO for UT I played offline and just played CS online instead.
So, hopefully some of the mod teams take that fact into account, since I'm no doubt only one of a ton of people who play offline only.

As for the contest, I think it's great news, and can only really be seen as a positive announcement.

Steyr

I posted in the RO-me thread
and all I got was
a pink username!
Apr 1, 2005
On the internets
And the UDN is still, for the most part, not open to the public.

What's next, Make Something Unreal - Extreme Blindfolded Edition?

Epic Fail.

Seriously though, if epic opens that up then this could be awesome.

Last edited:

Numb51

Feb 3, 2008
Could a person submit maps they've been working on for a long time before this announcement was made?

Lee3dee

I make stuff go BOOM!
Dec 8, 2004
Austin, TX
theres enough information out there from other mappers and modders to use for someone to start making maps. Heck even the 3dbuzz tutorials are on gametrailers :D

U

Unregistered

Epic doesn't open up the UDN because there is important stuff in there that the public shouldnt know....
The licensee section of the UDN is for those companies that paid their paltry $350,000 (or whatever).

OTOH, there is supposed to be a public UDN opening soon . . . but I don't think I'll hold my breathe.

Given that, it's no wonder, us mere mortals have to reverse engineer almost everything. Heck, until I figured it out, no one in the PS3 mod community thought a warfare map could have multiple linksetups from the PS3's UI and I don't even have a PS3. lol

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
The licensee section of the UDN is for those companies that paid their paltry $350,000 (or whatever).

OTOH, there is supposed to be a public UDN opening soon . . . but I don't think I'll hold my breathe.

Given that, it's no wonder, us mere mortals have to reverse engineer almost everything. Heck, until I figured it out, no one in the PS3 mod community thought a warfare map could have multiple linksetups from the PS3's UI and I don't even have a PS3. lol
I don't know what they will end up doing. I don't know why suddenly with UT3 everyone thinks UDN should be wide open to the public. None of the rest of us got to use the licensee documents for developing mods in previous games, why the heck should they open them up now?

That said, it's nice for them to open particular pages (and there ARE public pages on UDN right this very moment... shocking I know! :p).

IceCreamYou

disseminator of awesome
Too late, because many people have seen that the PC-online community is too small to form any kind of valid opinion over a UT3 mod, and thus have moved on.
Developers, for the most part, haven't moved on or will come back for this. Developers usually do it because they enjoy doing it, not just so that their creation gets played. This isn't commercial, their goal isn't to sell; and if you're capable of making something that could win you a $500,000 game engine license, why not do it?

Game modes, and especially tools can take a LOT of time to develop - you should know that!
Phase 1 ends so soon so people can submit things they've already created. Besides, two months is plenty of time for almost all categories.

And the UDN is still, for the most part, not open to the public.

Epic Fail.
Agreed. Given how many already-written basic resources they've gotten people to write for the licensee area, you'd think they could open up a few more.

That said, it's nice for them to open particular pages (and there ARE public pages on UDN right this very moment... shocking I know! :p).
Eh. Hardly any, and none on Level Design.