Unreal 95 / 97 Alpha Research

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Integration

Sep 7, 2010
Interesting. So you were supposed to enter Ruins / Temple of Vandora from the water. 2 paths leading uphill to the exit makes more sense than running in a circle. Was that tree originally in the map or did you add it?

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
I didn't add anything new. It was there, strangely enough. Those are conversions not reworks. So I didn't really add anything new.

Integration

Sep 7, 2010
It's also nice to see an earlier version of Azteca. It was one of the few maps which I consider finished in the 1998 Beta. So judging from this conversion, I'd say Epic never had a chance to finish Unreal in 1997.

What about the first 2 or 3 maps of Unreal PSX remake (before you enter the Vortex Riker)? Are those original? I find this hard to believe, because they have a higher quality standard than the rest I've seen so far (especially the indoor maps).

Delacroix

Successor of Almarion
Jan 12, 2006
Warsaw, PL
Essentially, the ENTRIETY of the Unreal PSX campaign was prepared specifically for that version of the game, save for one level which was repurposed from the Unreal96 alphas (E1L6). For the rework, some Unreal95 maps were added to E1L3 and there is an option that some Unreal96 maps will be added to E1L6 to complete it, but Leo's to decide about that.

Integration

Sep 7, 2010
I know wrong thread, but I must say the following:

If the Playstation 1 was supposed to handle the graphics in the first maps, then I can't understand why there are so many maps with narrow corridors and horrible gameplay. I remember a map with some kind of generator and a jump puzzle, where a fly showed you the way. No way to make that map decent except building it from scratch.

UBerserker

old EPIC GAMES
Jan 20, 2008
The Vortex maps are extremely good, especially gameplay-wise.
The outdoor maps aren't that good if you ask me.

Last edited:

Delacroix

Successor of Almarion
Jan 12, 2006
Warsaw, PL
PSX wasn't supposed to handle that kind of graphics and detail that you see in Leo's reworked version, never. Remember what the rework is all about: to replace the low resolution, low quality textures with their regular Unreal equivalent ones, to (sometimes) readd cut geometry or detail. Also, Unreal PSX was supposed to run in software mode and what you play normally on PC is accelerated mode. All three factors are a huge quality difference and huge performance difference, on lower-end machines at least, comparable to actual PSX.

psychelicious

Dec 18, 2009
The 0.84 Unreal map is not the map shown in 96 trailer(which was an actual map). Those versions are originally from standalone unrealed installers and such dont really contain any actual maps aside unreal.unr usually which is a test map most often and only in case of 0.84 it reminds actual map but the map was created by tim sweeney and is called "Timstrosity" The reason why there were some actual maps recovered is tht they downloaded their zip files as example maps so the unreal engine licenses have some actual examples of maps. But it's not much, not even quarter of what was made for each version and most of them have no map examples at all.
And it's not all 97 betas(but most major builds anyway, but exclusidng early 97 stuff before the switch to java like unrealscript) and the maps are only few, as I showed before, but the late 96 versions were recovered recently but are NOT the same version which was the 96 leak, which I hope might be released soon. That version is earlier and probably has the bug eyed bigman skin still and acording to what i heard had few actual maps, and many song files.

- Leo

So in other words are these screenshots:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/475044_585682314788847_2081805557_o.jpg

and

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/943227_585681931455552_719121935_n.jpg

and

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/461480_585682508122161_350859039_o.jpg

that this kazuya kid posted on FB, from non-playable maps? Or have you posted these maps earlier, Leo?

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
I know wrong thread, but I must say the following:

If the Playstation 1 was supposed to handle the graphics in the first maps, then I can't understand why there are so many maps with narrow corridors and horrible gameplay. I remember a map with some kind of generator and a jump puzzle, where a fly showed you the way. No way to make that map decent except building it from scratch.
Actually, there was lots of optimization/stuff going on and remembere that fog also doesn't slow down in software mode but does in hardware accel becuse it tries to smoothen it. The outdoor maps are very low poly still, but were done using the blob method, which turned out to be good both performance and looks wise. It used very low res textures though. The indoors are more problematic in general actually and also you need to keep in mind that many maps improved or otherwise as the developement went, some were scrapped altogether/replaced with something else. There wasn't recovered 100 percent of the maps sadly or all the latest versions. And it depended on the mapper and choices too. Matthew Kagle(which is the map with the fly you're referring to) was really trying to keep in with the low poly limits strictly to make sure it runs, but sometimes he didn't optimize it well so it had to be cut off in detail. But the map you're reerring to I thi k you took out of context, it was another of those "different real
m" like maps only half way like, you were rematerialized inside that strange ancient ship(which is very similar to the Dranoel's AI ship in Prophet's Power novel, the guide of the prophet Haute whch gives him the visions of the future), so things are quite a bit weird and seemingly out of place.
It might be a bit gimmicky, but the maps do have their spirit, even though Matthew Kagle himself doesn't like his e2l7 too much either, I think I like it better than him to be honest.

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
That's from the "Batset" map from october 96, a very unfinished kind of a hub level for the crypt pyramids I guess.
This one has the more persian than egyptian theme though, I suspect that like the Unreal bible described, first half of the crypts and second half of the crypts. One of them seem to be more egyptian and the other one "persian", the persian part remained in the later crypt textures together with the new "sumerian/babylonian" or however I can describe it, but the egytpian ones were gone already. Kind of interesting to see all those architecture styles inspiration, i mean with Ancient.utx it was Mayan/Aztec/Hindu stuff. There was meant to be mountain ruins using that set too, where I guess more of the "Hindu/himalayan" stuff would be used. Basically it seems there were planned all kinds of ancient earth architexture inspired stuff in Unreal altogether from the beginning. *shrugs*

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
It's also nice to see an earlier version of Azteca. It was one of the few maps which I consider finished in the 1998 Beta. So judging from this conversion, I'd say Epic never had a chance to finish Unreal in 1997.

What about the first 2 or 3 maps of Unreal PSX remake (before you enter the Vortex Riker)? Are those original? I find this hard to believe, because they have a higher quality standard than the rest I've seen so far (especially the indoor maps).
I'm sorry about the triple post here but I want to make a point of keeping the topics/replies a bit separate here.
About Epic not possibly finishing in 1997, actually, they would, but only in before May 1997. Why that? Because as I hinted before, the unrealscript as we know it was only introduced back then, before it was completely different and the player height/everything started to change. They threw away all their maps and started redisgning the game almost from scratch to their new vision. That means that probably the April 97 version or before is the most complete one acording to the old unbible. So many things worked in the late 96 prototypes for example and were broken later. There were dozens of cheats and possibilities that even final Unreal lacks and for example in the 97 may version the only working cheats are practically for flying/ghosting and nothing much else. And during halfway and to late 97 so much content was being created/thrown away that it's not even funny. It's like they didn't know what to make at that point/how many maps should it have.

Integration

Sep 7, 2010
Thanks for clearing things up. One last question: Do you know the state of Nexus or Soledad in August 1997? If I am not wrong the last part of this earlier Morose map was moved to the end of Nexus. That's why I am asking.

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
Thanks for clearing things up. One last question: Do you know the state of Nexus or Soledad in August 1997? If I am not wrong the last part of this earlier Morose map was moved to the end of Nexus. That's why I am asking.
I don't have any other August maps than those. No, it wasn't moved to Nexus, it's completely different area. Actually this end part of Moros is still the same room like the invisible bridge room, as hard as it might be hard to believe, the basic brushes are still about the same even the layout, and in the 98 beta morose there is set of spiral pathnodes above where the final lever block switch is, suggesting there was once a spiral staircase too to go down. Besides Nexus was made by Inoxx and this was Cliff's stuff. All those august maps seem to be by Shane except for moros. Even fortressentrance is definitely Shane and I believe it's really the supposed entrance to the Triton map as it really fits the description. It was probably more finished later on only to be removed right before february 98 or something like that.

Integration

Sep 7, 2010
Nevermind. I meant the part after the invisible bridge room; after you step through the portal. I thought it was an earlier version of NexusEnd, but it isn't.

123wdo4.jpg

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
Nevermind. I meant the part after the invisible bridge room; after you step through the portal. I thought it was an earlier version of NexusEnd, but it isn't.

123wdo4.jpg
It does look similar, but not quite, yeah. Also that portal is probably one of few actual uses of warpzone in the game, lol. Apart from stuff you can't notice and demon crater of course.
Wonder what other maps could have made use of warpzones back then. It's a pity it's not a full beta and that the levels we have are "examples" for other level designers/licenses.
If you are looking for videos from back then which actually show the august 97 version, I know of two.
They should still be on youtube I believe although i have them downloaded: PC Player - Unreal Preview is one.
If you are careful you will recognize this version of morose and also the first unrealed video shots show aztec, which i can tell you is identical.
It's probably not the same game build(because their game doesnt crash as often), but the ones close to each other were cross compatible anyway.
And another video that shows august build is the "Unreal novembre 1997" by Flak, it was included in some French magazine. The title is not correct since this wasn't from November of course. For example the October video actually shows both 0.86 from May and 0.84 from december 96 or very early 97 where they show how to make maps the editor shot and then running it.
You can see there were tons of maps/stuff but probably only Epic had the full builds or few.
Also, I hate the music they put over the videos, those french guys, ugh. What's wrong about Unreal music or just silence with the sounds? *facepalm*

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
Sep97mapconv.rar
Conversions from the only remaining 97 maps we have. This is from September 97, too bad those are dm maps and one "test" map which hs that foundry/toxic theme to it. It's not earlier version of Toxic or Foundry because those maps already existed as evidenced by multiple screenshots from that era.
Either way, one big difference in those conversions is that the soundradius acted differently in these betas, you could hear stuff more clearly, without having to increase sound radius. I mostly kept the values intact though, except for one ambientsound in tundra which couldnt be heard in any way because of its position at the window so it was increased from 8 to 16 so you can hear it a bit.

Last edited:

psychelicious

Dec 18, 2009
That's from the "Batset" map from october 96, a very unfinished kind of a hub level for the crypt pyramids I guess.
This one has the more persian than egyptian theme though, I suspect that like the Unreal bible described, first half of the crypts and second half of the crypts. One of them seem to be more egyptian and the other one "persian", the persian part remained in the later crypt textures together with the new "sumerian/babylonian" or however I can describe it, but the egytpian ones were gone already. Kind of interesting to see all those architecture styles inspiration, i mean with Ancient.utx it was Mayan/Aztec/Hindu stuff. There was meant to be mountain ruins using that set too, where I guess more of the "Hindu/himalayan" stuff would be used. Basically it seems there were planned all kinds of ancient earth architexture inspired stuff in Unreal altogether from the beginning. *shrugs*

And do you have this map, Leo? Is it something that will be able to be converted and played at some point? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.