Unreal Tournament 3: Platinum

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

[SAS]Solid Snake

Jun 7, 2002
New Zealand
www.digitalconfectioners.com
I've started work on a Unreal Tournament 3 modification which will enhance Unreal Tournament 3 by adding a better single player campaign, and address a lot of the issues the community had before in the past. I didn't start this earlier because I wasn't sure what Epic had planned for Unreal Tournament 3. Given that it's been quite number of months (or years) since the last update ... I think it's safe to say that adding some pretty large changes would be fine [Some of these changes are likely to be incompatible multiplayer wise]. The first task is to setup a simple tournament game.

If I can keep up with everything, there should be weekly updates to this mod which will continually add new features and extend the tournament mode.

[SCREENSHOT]http://www.digitalconfectioners.com/sites/default/files/UT3Platinum-27092010.jpg[/SCREENSHOT]

If anyone wants to lend a hand helping me to design a new user interface (particularly graphics wise) for this, it would be much appreciated.

WedgeBob

XSI Mod Tool User
Nov 12, 2008
Cleveland, OH, USA
What will this add that UT3Patch5 (v2.1 Patch) didn't add already? I know about the Titan Pack, and I admit, that was the worst addon Epic could have released for it, but patch 2.1 was probably the way in the right direction...keep this one up, and be sure that you don't incorporate the same mistakes the Titan Pack did.

cosmix

XoXo
May 20, 2006
Germany
Im not sure but is it possible to port the singleplayer campaign to UDK and benefit from the newer engine?

WGH

Jan 22, 2006
Moscow, Russia
wgh.ath.cx
I don't think anyone really cares about single player mode in UT. No offence.

cosmix said:
Im not sure but is it possible to port the singleplayer campaign to UDK and benefit from the newer engine?
It probably is, but would be against EULA.

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
Don't use that blue UT2004 interface please...if you want UT2kx look rather go for the UT2003 one, but don't use the UT2004 one please.

Anyway..I would like having an extension to the campaign and incoroporating titan pack into the campaign as well, the new maps and stuff...and perhaps having to fight malcolm.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
Shouldn't it be more worthwhile to work on making the AI (bots) more human-like or something similar?

[SAS]Solid Snake

Jun 7, 2002
New Zealand
What will this add that UT3Patch5 (v2.1 Patch) didn't add already?
As far as I know, the UT3 Patches mostly addressed issues with UT3 such as bugs, adding some features, along with newer engine versions. What Platinum is designed to be is mostly a code overhaul for UT3. The reason why I've stated that it may wind up being incompatible with existing servers for UT3 is that I'll probably be rewriting or extending the current source code to address issues and bugs.

What Platinum is going to add is a new single player mode, the tournament format that existed in both UT and UT2003/UT2004. The first goal for this Friday's release is to allow the player to create a tournament profile (allow you to choose an avatar and set name) and play in a simple tournament. I'd much rather release small updates regularly, then release large updates irregularly.

I know about the Titan Pack, and I admit, that was the worst addon Epic could have released for it, but patch 2.1 was probably the way in the right direction...keep this one up, and be sure that you don't incorporate the same mistakes the Titan Pack did.
Adding extra content is pretty cool, and certainly that is what Epic had done previously in the past. But I suppose when the core gameplay is something that people already disliked ... simply adding new content isn't going to fix things. Thanks, I really hope the small but regular updates will keep things moving along at a constant rate.

:-o Would this involve fixing/updating the multiplayer side of the game? Or just singleplayer?
Eventually. The nature of fixing/patching multiplayer is more difficult than adding new singleplayer content. To also meet the targets of something new and something interesting per week, I will be dividing things up. Multiplayer fixes and tweaks will probably take several weeks to finalize, where as singleplayer tournament stuff is likely to add new things per week.

Hopefully this will retain compatibility with MapMixer? If so, it sounds pretty good.
Probably not likely.

Porting UT3 to UDK is illegal (breach of intellectual property and copy righted material), and Epic have already mentioned upon the first release of UDK that doing so would be against the EULA.

I don't think anyone really cares about single player mode in UT. No offence.
I do. I live in New Zealand, so my pings to anywhere in the world is pretty horrible. Given that I'm the developer, I want something I can have fun with first.

Don't use that blue UT2004 interface please...if you want UT2kx look rather go for the UT2003 one, but don't use the UT2004 one please.
I've already mentioned ... "If anyone wants to lend a hand helping me to design a new user interface (particularly graphics wise) for this, it would be much appreciated."

Anyway..I would like having an extension to the campaign and incoroporating titan pack into the campaign as well, the new maps and stuff...and perhaps having to fight malcolm.
Browsing through all of the content in UT3 + Titan pack, I don't seem to find any of Malcolm's content. It looks like Epic hasn't released him...

Shouldn't it be more worthwhile to work on making the AI (bots) more human-like or something similar?
Yes, but there has to be an underlying reason to play against AI first too.

sweet i care thx for doing this
Thanks! :D

Slaughter

exsomnis
Feb 16, 2004
Germany
slaughter.jimdo.com
I´ve remade Malcolm for UT3 and you´re welcome to use him if you want to...Hell I could even remake the rest of Thundercrash for this mod.
I was planning to do that anyway but with the interest in UT3 dying away so did my drive to finish.

I also like playing Singleplayer.
Are you gonna try to incorporate the Tournament into the existing story or are you gonna write a new one?

Last edited:

FuLLBLeeD

fart
Jan 23, 2008
Kansas
awwsmack.org
If you can make the AI much more human like and actually fun to fight that will be fantastic. Actually getting people to play UT3 online again is a pipe dream but having AI that is actually FUN to fight would be awesome.

I'd just suggest you leave the game balance alone, its pretty good as it is.

[SAS]Solid Snake

Jun 7, 2002
New Zealand
Got the Profile Selection mostly working.

[SCREENSHOT]http://www.digitalconfectioners.com/sites/default/files/UT3Platinum-27092010-B.jpg[/SCREENSHOT]

I´ve remade Malcolm for UT3 and you´re welcome to use him if you want to...Hell I could even remake the rest of Thundercrash for this mod.
I was planning to do that anyway but with the interest in UT3 dying away so did my drive to finish.
Nice work on the Malcolm model there.

I also like playing Singleplayer.
Sweet. Yeah, UT for me was usually the single player since my ping was always horrible.

Are you gonna try to incorporate the Tournament into the existing story or are you gonna write a new one?
I don't think I'll really bother with a story as such. The current campaign story is pretty random I think. None the less, it's just meant to be a straight up tournament.

If you can make the AI much more human like and actually fun to fight that will be fantastic. Actually getting people to play UT3 online again is a pipe dream but having AI that is actually FUN to fight would be awesome.
I'll eventually get some updates to the AI. It'll take some time, but it'll get there.

I'd just suggest you leave the game balance alone, its pretty good as it is.
I had no plans to tweak that just yet.

Ditto on liking single-player. Good luck with it.
Thanks!

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
Yeap, I'm playing mostly singleplayer as well. It's just not fun to get beaten in MP every time because of the ping and the fact that only those who have played it MP extenssively are still on the servers...

Hmm, if it's going to break MP and mod support, wouldn't it be better to make it a TC? That way you will have an option to either play the original game or this one.

Epic makes no sense at all.

Take a game they made, that "supposedly" encourages modding and porting, and amateurs tweaking and changing all aspects of the game.. ADD it to the UDK, which is "supposedly" meant to encourage modding, game development, amateurs learning the tricks of the trade etc.. and suddenly that's a bad thing?

I don't get it, I mean how could that be a bad thing? Are they afraid that someone might make UT3 better?

Delacroix

Successor of Almarion
Jan 12, 2006
Warsaw, PL
Actually, I would understand the forbidding of porting UT3 to UDK... as this would essentially make UT3 free and Epic wouldn't want that.

But forbidding making anything Unreal-related on UDK is utter idiocy and I also see no reason behind that.