Unreal Tournament 3: Platinum

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

[SAS]Solid Snake

Jun 7, 2002
New Zealand
www.digitalconfectioners.com
[SCREENSHOT]http://www.digitalconfectioners.com/sites/default/files/UT3-Platinum-11102010.jpg[/SCREENSHOT]
Here's an update on the tournament match scene. I've changed the number of matches available to you from six to five (mostly because 5 divides easier). The fifth match will be a challenge round (which increases the difficulty of the bots). There will be no strict win/lose conditions on each tier, but rather you just get awarded a number of points based on performance of each round. At the end of each tier, you be ranked in your position. Winning matches gives you extra benefits such as being able to unlock other game types, but that will come later on.

Still plenty of work to do before this becomes playable.

uWindow2 ?
UWindow2 was my unfinished attempt at making a Windows like interface for UT3. It got pretty far, but I stopped the project due to monetary reasons.

The game itself is pretty sadly dead, but not by any real fault of the game, but by it's lack of ease-of-use, and people's general tendency these days to hide behind team-based games and avoid DeathMatch like it'll really get them killed irl.
I think it is actually the fault of the game. People didn't like the game. Even the people who liked UT and UT2004 didn't seem to like it. To me, that seems to be the game's fault. Team based games are still in UT3, but they are just rehashed... they didn't really add anything new to the game which is a shame.

(oh and yeah my mistake earlier in the thread, hadn't let my brain do the loop back around to realize that UDK is totally free, and thus putting UT3 into it would thus make UT3 totally free. ..but hey let's be honest, would it cost Epic a penny in potential sales at this point? lol. They're protecting Gears, not UT3. )
Yes, but then you're also suggesting that old games (such as UT3) should just be given away for free. Some companies don't mind doing it. But even if they did that, content from UT3 isn't directly usable even in UDK. They'd need to release the original uncooked content so that people could reimport and then recook the content. I don't see that happening unfortunately.

Crotale

_________________________ _______________
Jan 20, 2008
Anywhere But Here
[SAS]Solid Snake;2470816 said:
I'm looking for someone who is willing to do the UI art. People don't like the existing one in UT3 and people didn't like the one in UT (back when I was using it for uWindow2). I don't have a lot of time to do the art, so if someone is keen to do it then that would be great.

If you do decide to build a new UI, be it uWindows or whatever, and you need some help with the graphics, please keep me in mind. I'd be happy to help.

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
If you won't make it use uwindows or something, can you add the UT2003 style as well, perhaps optional for players to switch it? It is not that different from UT2004, but still looks better imo.

Bi()ha2arD

Toxic!
Jun 29, 2009
Germany
phobos.qml.net
BTW: If you can, make as many UIs as possible to please everyone and leave the game as it is. You spend most of the time in the menues and not ingame anyways, amirite?

>_>

I click multiplayer -> join game -> favs -> server. sometimes i just press f10 and open ip.

Stop sitting in the menues and play UT3 ffs!

Polaarius

Oct 9, 2010
Really impressive work, Snake.

I personaly dont care that much how ui looks like as long it dosent lag like ut3 menu.
However how do you plan to make team management. Are you going to make a similar system as in ut 2k4 , hire a team or you are going to have fixed team in all the matches?.

Also are you going to support custom content ( random map lists and custom teams) in tournament mode?.

TurdDrive

sam k
Oct 31, 2008
WALES
Really impressive work, Snake.

I personaly dont care that much how ui looks like as long it dosent lag like ut3 menu.
However how do you plan to make team management. Are you going to make a similar system as in ut 2k4 , hire a team or you are going to have fixed team in all the matches?.

Also are you going to support custom content ( random map lists and custom teams) in tournament mode?.

How about custom weapon mutators aswell?

Rohit

May 29, 2008
I'm coming back to this forum just to say that this project interests me and is as close as a new UT as we can get.

KillerSkaarj

Art for swans is dope!
Jan 24, 2008
No offense, but is this mod meant to improve UT3 or simply turn it into UT2k4? I ask because you're using the exact same menu system as UT2k4.

[SAS]Solid Snake

Jun 7, 2002
New Zealand
www.digitalconfectioners.com
Sorry for the lack of updates everyone. Just been a tad busy with other size.

At the moment it seems to be pretty fast. It doesn't do any fancy animation like the UT3 one, so it does feel a little more responsive because it doesn't do that.

I plan to expand it to be a bit more about team management and so forth, but eventually I'd also like to have AI teams that organise matches with you and so forth.

Yes. I'd really like to support this even a little further than UT3 does already. To the extent where you can even download and start playing with mod content either using a program or within UT3. I've talked to Shambler about it specifically, and he reckons that it's doable.

How about custom weapon mutators aswell?
I think one of the downsides with UT3 is that it didn't really like you playing the game the way you wanted to. Which is a little bit of a shame, especially given how much cool mutators there were for UT and UT2004.

I really like the blue UT2004 style. Keep it
I'm coming back to this forum just to say that this project interests me and is as close as a new UT as we can get.
Thanks for the support guys!

Gameplay is staying exactly the same as it is. Play UT2004 if you want terrible movement mechanics, or play Quake 3 which actually has a good movement system.
I think spending time to tweak with those game play variables is probably not that worth it just yet. I think time that is spent dealing with adding the tournament mode is probably going to be much better.

any update ??
Sorry, I'm just a little busy these days. Sometimes updates can be a little slow.

No offense, but is this mod meant to improve UT3 or simply turn it into UT2k4? I ask because you're using the exact same menu system as UT2k4.
The point of this mod is to add in a tournament mode into UT3. Over time I hope to further expand the tournament mode and add more and more things to it that will hopefully make it more fun. Unfortunately, for a few pages/posts people were far too focused on the UI look. I'm only using the UT2004 menu art because they were designed to be similar to UWindows. People already stated how crap the original UWindow when I was developing UWindow2. Crotale however, has awesomely offered to help make some new art; which I'll definitely take up when the time is right.