Unreal Evolution for UT3

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

KillerSkaarj

Art for swans is dope!
Jan 24, 2008
Actually, the U2 Skaarj are already in UT3. But don't use them. Please, don't use them. They don't look good at all and only come in three types. They're also pathetically slow compared to Unreal's Skaarj. Just imagine fighting one of these in the first part of Rrajigar mines, the part where the lights turn off. Yeah, no.

Also, yeah, I'm all for "upgrading" U1's weapon models, but you could include an option to use the stock UT3 weapons. I don't know about anyone else, but I think using UT3's weapons would enhance the feel.

jackrabbit

May 9, 2008
Actually, the U2 Skaarj are already in UT3. But don't use them. Please, don't use them. They don't look good at all and only come in three types. They're also pathetically slow compared to Unreal's Skaarj. Just imagine fighting one of these in the first part of Rrajigar mines, the part where the lights turn off. Yeah, no.

Also, yeah, I'm all for "upgrading" U1's weapon models, but you could include an option to use the stock UT3 weapons. I don't know about anyone else, but I think using UT3's weapons would enhance the feel.

dude, first off.. the avatar your using is a Skaarj from U2 or am I seeing things? so what the hell?

second, if the Skaarj are in the editor like you say, give instructions on how to find them please so I can compare to what I see in UT2k4 editor (above). I don't see why you don't want to use the older/lowdetail skaarj over the new/higherdetailed skaarj.. especially when they look VERY similar. If they are slow like you speak.. don't you know that they can easily be modified to work like the originals? It's called UScript

All I need is a model and animations properly imported and I can make one of these babies function exactly like the original. SkaarjTroopers are another story though...

Last edited:

KillerSkaarj

Art for swans is dope!
Jan 24, 2008
Yes, you are seeing things. That's Dominator from UT2k4, lol.

And I didn't say they were in the editor. Someone named EvilEngine ported the U2Skaarj models to UT2K4, and then to UT3. Search the Epic Games UT3 forums. And what do you mean "I don't see why you don't want to use the older/lowdetail skaarj over the new/higherdetailed skaarj.. especially when they look VERY similar"? If by Low detail you mean the U1 Skaarj, explain to me how the U1 Skaarj will NOT look out-of-place with the detail of UT3? They even seem out of place in UT2K4.

The reason I dislike the U2 Skaarj is because of one thing and one thing only. Actually, three things. 1, they're slower in U2 (or maybe I'm thinking of the Medium and Heavy ones). 2, they're too bulky looking, and 3, they're not as diverse as in U1. Not only this, but if you were to include them in the remake, you would have to design the other creatures, such as the Brute, to match their style. Not to mention that some people might mistake the bulky Skaarj for fast-moving brutes.

If you can somehow make the Skaarj less bulky and design skins for them to match those of the U1 Skaarj, then it will look better. Otherwise, they won't really fit.

Last edited:

The_Head

JB Mapper
Jul 3, 2004
UK
www.unrealized-potential.com
Its nice to revisit this thread although I have to admit I was turned off by UED for UT3 and its non-user-friendly interface

It's no worse than previous UED's - its just a slightly different workflow in places. UE3 is a huge step up from UE2.5 - Working on this mod for the older engine won't make it significantly quicker to release, and the results won't look as good.

We plan to make new models, The biggest obstacle we have for the models is the new animation/rigging methods of UE3 compared to previous engines. Once that is overcome it will not be a problem.

About the U2 Skaarj being too slow - how would that be relavent - you do realise should we choose to reuse old content we can easily change things as minor as speed.

Last edited:

KillerSkaarj

Art for swans is dope!
Jan 24, 2008
I think Legend made the U2 Skaarj slower because Dalton himself moved like a slug. And to mirror the fact that the Skaarj in U2 moved slower, they made them bulkier. Now put them in a U1 environment. How could something so bulky move so fast? The Lesser Brutes are slightly bulkier and they move REALLY slow. I'm just saying what I think conforms to the original game.

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
http://forums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=396937

This is the thread for ut2004(dunno about ut3 one), this pack is included within ut2c as well...

But most importantly it includes this alpha skaarj model, i wonder how did he convert it, it wasnt even in final unreal2 was it?
Or was it included in some file? Hell I dunno.
[SCREENSHOT]http://www.freewebs.com/lansunreal/Unreal%202%20skaarj.jpg[/SCREENSHOT]

MonsOlympus

May 27, 2004
I still remember seeing one, pretty sure it was by evilengine, in zbrush that ****ted all over those 2k4 ports!

keaukrine

Sep 26, 2004
Ukraine
keaukraine.narod.ru
Skaarj from Unreal2 look too bulky, 2004 ones are even better IMO. However, the best thing is to model the new mesh which will be based off original Unreal1 Skaarj (e.g. w/o all the fancy armor), apply UT2004 Skaarj anims to it and add all anims from Unreal1 then.

UBerserker

old EPIC GAMES
Jan 20, 2008
I'd love to see U2 Skaarj again, especially if they fight like the ones from Unreal 1 (same speed and dodging skills).
Sorry Kea, but I find the UT2004 ones to be too ugly (not a surprise anyway) except the metal ones.

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
Its nice to revisit this thread although I have to admit I was turned off by UED for UT3 and its non-user-friendly interface. Everything takes longer, so a project of this magnitude should take a few years easily, even with a dedicated team. (Is Epic listening? Bring the real Unreal back! Don't give us another half-assed single player game like Unreal 2.... oh well, I think they make enough money from Gears and UE3 licenses, so they won't care about Unreal SP anyway.)

Weapons wise, I think it wouldn't be a bad idea to recycle some of the effects from UT2004, while creating new high poly meshes. How well with a high poly map or models run on new systems (while UT2004 was really optimized for 2005's machines)? I think pretty well. Your average joe whose machine has an in built graphics card like an Intel X3100 may end up experiencing a pretty good playthrough of the mod. So this is really something that favours most enthusiasts of UT2004 (and Unreal 1). I think we should keep Unreal 1's stock of weapon models by and large, although we could recycle some effects. (Imagine what a high polyon Eightball would look like!)

I think we should provide more background behind some of the enemies. The Brutes for instance - genetically engineered monsters, or the Pupae. Introducing cocoons or hibernation stages of the pupae that, during the story, turn into the Skaarj would be another nice idea, IMO.
I'm sure Epic is now considering Unreal III as there isn't a forum related to Unreal franchise where that topic wouldn't have been discussed and everyone stated they really do want Unreal III.
Also, Unreal II isn't all that bad. The only bad thing is that it was never completed, and rushed for release. It even uses a newer code base and technologies than UT2004, although they call it "UE2.5". Unreal II UE would be UE2.7-V, that is, minus vehicles. It's really powerful and you can create wonders in it, even take the Particle Generator systems alone! And a lot of things that weren't working in UT2004 work in Unreal II, such as Display Style options and extended actor search. So it's really not bad, the only thing that isn't good is that it's not popular and has no working online support.

Agreed about the weapons. Guess that's what we all want.

Indeed, cutscenes and such would be a good idea, knowing that we have full use of Matinee and other related tools.

I think it would be best to use modified versions of the skaarj from U2:Awakening. The problem is 1. Can it be exported properly 2. can it be imported properly.
Yeap, it can be done. If you're interested, here's the Python script which you can use to import models from Unreal II into Blender:
http://pastebin.com/f6cf91cde

I must say.. in general I do like the U2 Skaarj more than the original.
Me too, guess that's because of the high polyness.

http://forums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=396937

This is the thread for ut2004(dunno about ut3 one), this pack is included within ut2c as well...
Woah! I want that pack! But the link is dead, do you know any mirrors? I really don't want to extract it from UT2C...

http://forums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=587760

He says they're UT2004 Skaarj but they're really the U2 Skaarj.
Umm, no... They are from UT2004. I know Gaargod when I see him. Although the model really is more bulky than in UT2004.

Hmm I always thought those are skeletal anims... :con:
Yes, they are. Explanation please?

I'd love to see U2 Skaarj again, especially if they fight like the ones from Unreal 1 (same speed and dodging skills).
Sorry Kea, but I find the UT2004 ones to be too ugly (not a surprise anyway) except the metal ones.
Totally agree with you here.

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
No I don't know any working link for that pack, anyway its easy to find out which files from utC2 is that pack....

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
Found it on FileFront, U2Skaarj as a search term. But jeez, it has so much of content I don't like, and even texture packs are incomplete and give warnings... At least I know how to fix them though :)

KillerSkaarj

Art for swans is dope!
Jan 24, 2008
Okay, I played through U2 again, and the Skaarj are definitely not slow. I don't know why I thought that. I guess I was thinking about the Medium and Heavy class Skaarj.

However, the Medium and Heavy Skaarj probably won't fit very well into a U1 environment (except maybe as Troopers...), so someone could make new skins for the Light Skaarj representing the U1 classes of Skaarj (Assassin, Berserker etc.). The real question lies with how the Troopers will look. Perhaps someone could modify the Medium Skaarj by somehow making them slimmer, removing the claws and "dreads" (although I can take a guess that doing so will be extremely difficult), and adding code to let them hold Weapons.

Last edited:

TalRasha

Oct 20, 2008
wooooo i thought this thread had died along with this marvelous ideia, but i was wrong

once i get some 22" monitor ill fire ued for a second try, becouse in one monitor of 1024x768 its way too slow to do anything

keaukrine

Sep 26, 2004
Ukraine
keaukraine.narod.ru
This project is a remake of the original Unreal, so I think it's imperative to have remakes of the original Skaarj.

The Skaarj are initially a form of insect (pupae), and I really don't think any of the Skaarj designs since the original can support that idea. The structure of their face, the position of their 'tusks' etc. just isn't right.

UT2004 Skaarj somewhat resemble bulldogs in their facial structure (underbite etc.), while the U2 Skaarj are too gorilla like. The Unreal Skaarj are really the only ones who tie in with the Pupae.
I completely agree with you. Exactly my thoughts!

It'd be a hard job to make an exact high-poly replica of original Skaarj, but IMO Unreal1 Skaarj can't be replaced with Skaarj from any other Unreal game. So making new mesh is worth it.

Last edited: