Unreal Evolution for UT3

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
I'm no moderator, but how about you just leave it alone? And how are you so sure he didn't ask permission? Did you make the map? Didn't think so. Drop this discussion.

Drop yourself. I didn't want to go this discussion that far anyway....but I had to say the truth after the misinformed reactions of GE and I am sure he didnt ask for permission of some things (beacuse there was complain thread about it by the original author of these files and I remember that) and no I didn't make the map, I dunno why do you say that at all. End of discussion about this...

About this mod, I still hope to somehow help in future if I got the time to learn properly ut3 ued yet, I didn't learn yet everything.

Last edited:

MonsOlympus

May 27, 2004
Actually, Mons might want to post the screens he took of Rikers. We actually compared them and they are almost the same size if there is just the one cell block.

I took screens of the rikers? Either youre confused or you want me to post that other thing :eek:

MonsOlympus

May 27, 2004
The thing I put in that one place that one time after watching this one movie about stuff.

KillerSkaarj

Art for swans is dope!
Jan 24, 2008
I'm getting a new video card sometime in the future in order to play UT3 efficiently. As soon as I get it, I'm going to learn how to map with UEd4 so that I can help.

Diehard

I am not gonna promise anything, but sideways i started working on the Hull textures that cover the outside of Vortex Rikers. In the last update for the PlayrShp package these were not included since i wasnt satisfied over the result backthan.

These are the textures involved:

Htest10.gif
pHulBrij.gif
pHullD1a.gif

pHullD2a.gif
pHulLogo.gif
vHullD1a.gif

As said no promises(and no timeframe) since my health is too poor to make any promises. Aside that, i still have to finish the S3TC update for DecayedS for Unreal and UT and due to my health i already lost more than an entire month..........

XeroWolf

Unreal Ninja
Jan 21, 2006
Grenada
Guys I'm curious as to what are the other short term goals of this project are?
Ok to Remake Unreal using UE3.
First step is to NyLeve's Falls. I'm with you up to that point.
About how much of unreal are we going to remake? Just the cool maps? The whole thing? 0.o
Will the remake involve making new maps, weapons, players models that are not exactly in the original unreal?

Also I'm putting the word out again that I am available to do concept art and models of all sorts to help out this project. I've sent out PMs and emails to the relevant people in charge, so far with no replies. I'm not sure if project is taking any more help at this time but I kinda in the dark here. Do you guys need help with anything?

Last edited:

Lruce Bee

Transcending to another level
May 3, 2001
Sherwood Forest
The new UT3 weapons somehow feel and look like they take up a huge amount of screen space.
I just find them a little distracting at times.

Lruce

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
Guys I'm curious as to what are the other short term goals of this project are?
Ok to Remake Unreal using UE3.
First step is to NyLeve's Falls. I'm with you up to that point.
About how much of unreal are we going to remake? Just the cool maps? The whole thing? 0.o
Will the remake involve making new maps, weapons, players models that are not exactly in the original unreal?

Also I'm putting the word out again that I am available to do concept art and models of all sorts to help out this project. I've sent out PMs and emails to the relevant people in charge, so far with no replies. I'm not sure if project is taking any more help at this time but I kinda in the dark here. Do you guys need help with anything?

Good questions!
I think all of Unreal should be remade, including RTNP (can't wait to see how Foundry looks in UE3!), or even up to the full Unreal Beta. But the progress should be chronological I guess, that is, first VRikers, then Evelyn, then Rrajigar Shared Dig and so on.
And yes, the models should be remade, but nothing new should be added, maybe except for a few easter eggs. And they've got point, the UT3 weapons aren't exactly U1 weapons, for example, Stinger Minigun is a lot better than the Stinger which was absolutely no use against Skaarj.

Kazimira

Necris Fan
Dec 13, 2008
UK
kazumitsu.deviantart.com
I much preferd the razorjack look and blade look with the purple to the later ripper models and blade models. Some wepons will basicly have to be remade as the biorifle is completely diffrent in UT3. Also as to how the hole thing will work it seems from ealyer posts that its being remade kind of but alots being adjusted to keep the old feel of it but make it even more impressive. Much of the levels are adjusted to have more impressive effects but just where thay are ment to be. Kind of like the feel the developers wamted to get but didnt get to.

keaukrine

Sep 26, 2004
Ukraine
keaukraine.narod.ru
Good questions!
I think all of Unreal should be remade, including RTNP (can't wait to see how Foundry looks in UE3!), or even up to the full Unreal Beta. But the progress should be chronological I guess, that is, first VRikers, then Evelyn, then Rrajigar Shared Dig and so on.
And yes, the models should be remade, but nothing new should be added, maybe except for a few easter eggs. And they've got point, the UT3 weapons aren't exactly U1 weapons, for example, Stinger Minigun is a lot better than the Stinger which was absolutely no use against Skaarj.
I also think that all Unreal1 weapons should be remade, their UT3 equivalents are way too different.
I only disagree about Stinger, it's alt-fire is very useful against Skaarj. And Stinger Minigun is just a minigun w/ projectile alt-fire.

Kaithofis

The Seldom Seen Kid
1)About how much of unreal are we going to remake? Just the cool maps? The whole thing? 0.o

2)Will the remake involve making new maps, weapons, players models that are not exactly in the original unreal?

3) Also I'm putting the word out again that I am available to do concept art and models of all sorts to help out this project. I've sent out PMs and emails to the relevant people in charge, so far with no replies. I'm not sure if project is taking any more help at this time but I kinda in the dark here. Do you guys need help with anything?

1) Whole thing, chronologically
2) No. Well, that's not our first priority anyway.
3) We always take more help :) If Brizz hasn't replied, it's probably because he is a lazy bum has a lot of things on his mind. Sorry about that.

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
By the way, I guess DP and Bio Rifle alt fire should have the hold effect (not just auto released once time passes), as it's really annoying and absolutely not useful. And I guess they just didn't know/think of an option to implement that, although they did later and from then on to nowadays.

tech_rsr

Dec 31, 2008
Its nice to revisit this thread although I have to admit I was turned off by UED for UT3 and its non-user-friendly interface. Everything takes longer, so a project of this magnitude should take a few years easily, even with a dedicated team. (Is Epic listening? Bring the real Unreal back! Don't give us another half-assed single player game like Unreal 2.... oh well, I think they make enough money from Gears and UE3 licenses, so they won't care about Unreal SP anyway.)

We could use UE3 to do the mod, however, because many of us like the many graphical features of UE3. I would like to see how UE2.5 held up. In fact it would take much less time to do the same thing in UE2.5, and Unreal 2 didn't exactly look bad. The art direction in UT3 and UT2004 left a lot to be desired however, and I think Unreal 1 had some great art direction for its time.

The objective here should be to recreate the atmosphere of Unreal 1, while side stepping some of the issues of UE2.5.

Weapons wise, I think it wouldn't be a bad idea to recycle some of the effects from UT2004, while creating new high poly meshes. How well with a high poly map or models run on new systems (while UT2004 was really optimized for 2005's machines)? I think pretty well. Your average joe whose machine has an in built graphics card like an Intel X3100 may end up experiencing a pretty good playthrough of the mod. So this is really something that favours most enthusiasts of UT2004 (and Unreal 1). I think we should keep Unreal 1's stock of weapon models by and large, although we could recycle some effects. (Imagine what a high polyon Eightball would look like!)

We could recycle some Skaarj models from Unreal 2, but I like the green, organic looking Skaarj and their white armour clad counterparts better than the heavily armoured Pre-gears of war Skaarj who don't wield the same weapons that the player does.

I think we should provide more background behind some of the enemies. The Brutes for instance - genetically engineered monsters, or the Pupae. Introducing cocoons or hibernation stages of the pupae that, during the story, turn into the Skaarj would be another nice idea, IMO.

jackrabbit

May 9, 2008
We could recycle some Skaarj models from Unreal 2, but I like the green, organic looking Skaarj and their white armour clad counterparts better than the heavily armoured Pre-gears of war Skaarj who don't wield the same weapons that the player does.

I think it would be best to use modified versions of the skaarj from U2:Awakening. The problem is 1. Can it be exported properly 2. can it be imported properly.

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
I just tried the UT2C thing for ut2004, it has inside these u2 skaarj models which were released separatelly but included within the mod...
It doesn't have heavy skaarjs, but it also has unused skaarj models, that one unreal 2 alpha skaarj for example. Although it has different format then, doesnt have face anims obviously(unlike u2 ones) and is reanimated for ut2004 use, but still.

jackrabbit

May 9, 2008
I just tried the UT2C thing for ut2004, it has inside these u2 skaarj models which were released separatelly but included within the mod...
It doesn't have heavy skaarjs, but it also has unused skaarj models, that one unreal 2 alpha skaarj for example. Although it has different format then, doesnt have face anims obviously(unlike u2 ones) and is reanimated for ut2004 use, but still.

It seems your right Leo.. I downloaded UT2C and loaded up the u2skaarj.ukx package and low and behold are the U2 Skaarj perfectly converted. That means it should be possible to get them into UT3 as well.

I must say.. in general I do like the U2 Skaarj more than the original.

Last edited: