Epic Announces "Major" UT3 Expansion

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

FaT CaM

Not much...
Apr 5, 2002
¯\(˚_o)/¯ I DUNNO?
I like the sound of this. More content would be great to see. I would be even happier if they took their mapping back to the more 'Unreal' roots they used to have, the greater variety of colours and more far out locales - less industrial stuff basically. **** brown stops being pretty very quickly.

I would like to see CLASSIC domination return (Didnt a mod team already add in classic and double dom anyway? Just get their mod into it). Now that was a good game mode. Most of UT99's maps suffered (in my opinion) from fairly loose and spread out control points, UT3 dom maps would have to be a bit tighter. The potential for things to happen in UT3 with classic dom is awesome (Control points give access to super weapons, or new routes, etc).

Also - More characters!

elmuerte

Master of Science
Jan 25, 2000
the Netherlands
elmuerte.com
We would have been whiners if you got your story right. Your story just skips all the negative reasons for us to bitch about it. Dream on.

1) he never called anyone whiners (but I will)
2) what's wrong about his "story", so far I've seen any communication from Epic being welcomed by a massive load of complaints
3) One is the loneliest number that you'll ever do. Two can be as bad as one. It's the loneliest number since the number one

Because the thread has hit the tag limit. Nobody can add more. :p

Guess again :)
As the tag points out, you were wrong again.

virgo47

Waiting for next UT
Jul 5, 2005
Bratislava, Slovakia
members.clanci.net
Expansion sounds like more money... With new gametypes and maps maybe. I will wait a few months to get it anyway. I rushed UT3 purchase too much but now when I don't play it I can wait longer to see the complaints, what they will be about, etc. If it is anything close to UT2004 story, I will probably buy it. I will not believe a word from Epic anymore, I will try demo for a few months first and I will not hope that final game is better.

I'm looking forward to it anyway.

Jrubzjeknf

Registered Coder
Mar 12, 2004
The Netherlands
Expansion sounds like more money... With new gametypes and maps maybe. I will wait a few months to get it anyway. I rushed UT3 purchase too much but now when I don't play it I can wait longer to see the complaints, what they will be about, etc. If it is anything close to UT2004 story, I will probably buy it. I will not believe a word from Epic anymore, I will try demo for a few months first and I will not hope that final game is better.

I'm looking forward to it anyway.

This is exactly how I feel about it. I bought UT3 when it was pretty much first available in the stores. Payed 50 (or 60?) euros for the normal game and xfire recorded less than 48 hours of playtime. This includes running the code compiler and UEd.
I gave Epic my trust when they made UT2004 and every one of the patches. They lost that trust with UT3 and if they want it back, they should earn it back.

Centurion

RAGGAMUFFIN
Jan 30, 2008
On topic (sorry guys)
Is there a mutator for game speed, if not I like to see it.
Oh yeah I like to spectate bots..just bots.

@Epic

Just try hard to full fill all wishes from everyone they have put here, coz most are normal things we had in UT2k4 or are in other games.

Last edited:

boogler

Banned
Jun 4, 2008
@IronKnuckle

I'm pretty sure someone who has played the UT series competetively in regards to lans, ladders, clanbase cups, and pickup games for years has more credibility in regards to what makes a map good for competition than someone who plays Logue 24/7. You are an offline player. You make map strategies based upon predicatable paths and movements that are constantly used by bots everytime you load the game. You have no idea what makes a map have good flow just for that simple fact. Competetive online players are the ONLY ones who can truly judgement a map for great gameplay flow. That's why some maps make the cut for competition and others end up on servers that have CTF-DagnyPlayhouseAdventure.

MonsOlympus

May 27, 2004
Competitive online players ONLY? Meh, I think any online player would have some clue... lets not mention lan either, I mean cmon everyone knows a true comp has as little latency as possible.

Labnetik

Trapped In Unreality
May 10, 2006
England, UK
www.acidtechno.net
I see this thread hasn't run out of steam just yet...

yeah those are my samples from a previous version of Jailbreak

I played jailbreak a long time ago in ut2004, just cannot remember extra vocals like that, but maybe it was an earlier version that didn't include them, or maybe I just forgot :eek:

Wow, so many comments on so little info. The speculation-mill just can't keep spouting crap fast enough, can it?

that's the passion for the art form m8 ;)
nobody can extinguish the burning fires of our heart's desires, can they? it happens with tv, movies, music, everything!

And i simply don't want to play online :p

Considering how many "dm-christmass-bathroom-1337 edition-OMGWTF" servers there are out there

And would someone please ban the troll?

I guess the slomo mutator is better than nothing? there's probably console commands to change the game speed in real time like you could with the older unreal games, I haven't really looked into ut3 in detail that much yet.

I respect your choice about not playing online, people can still enjoy lots of great game experiences offline I know, limitless amounts of maps and mods to load up. Going online and getting involved in all of that can turn many people into azzwholes when they turn really competitive and get all serious about who is better. Say if you're in a real room fragging with some m8s and they keep fragging you or doing something annoying like some pitched tent and you say fu and you azzwhole, basturd or something like that all in fun but if you react like that on a server its not seen as funny but insulting and an internerd fight might start, someone is seen as an undesirable because that style of harsh humour isn't understood and someone might get kicked/banned.

Staying offline keeps you away from all that bs :)

I don't think that guy should be banned, differing opinions on the situation should be welcomed, just laugh it off or ignore him if it's offending ;)

On the topic of bots, I hate that they dont track multiple opponents and even worse they'll completely ignore you to get a shield belt that is of no use to them after you unloaded triplerox into their back.

lol, you better get the shield before they do, then unload the triplerox into their face :D

50% of people not taking 2k4 online and assuming UT3 is a similar number if not more... Itd just be time well spent :cool:

not forgetting the offline numbers contain all the pirates too :rolleyes:

Can someone get more info on this whole thing pronto

Emails to epic plz. They wont reply but hey.... I'm hyped! So i reckon it would be better to kill my hopes sooner rather then later.

w00tabuliciousific!

say what? bootylicious lol
woot+fantastic+fabulous (or bu lol)+delicious+terrific :D

I'm sure epic have been reading our comments, maybe it will even push them to work harder on this so called expansion than originally planned.. since we raise the bar they might have to feel they have to meet it or they will fail after the initial announcement.

MonsOlympus

May 27, 2004
lol, you better get the shield before they do, then unload the triplerox into their face :D

Oh thats easy enough to do as well, my point is though I can sit in plain sight and watch the bot completely ignore me while doing a b-line for the shield. Makes them very predictable and easy to beat no matter what the level, who cares if they get the shield, all I know is they cant grab it again till it respawns (I'll be waiting mwhahaha). If a bot can kill me without a shield well then, they deserve the frag :lol:

boogler

Banned
Jun 4, 2008
I like you Labnetik, you own. \o/

People like IronKnuckle wouldn't survive online anyway, he got so upset when I said offline players don't know anything about map flow(WHICH IS TRUE) and went on a PMS rampage. Lord knows what he would do if he went online and someone told him he was a terrible player and sucked. //wrist anyone?

boogler

Banned
Jun 4, 2008
Oh thats easy enough to do as well, my point is though I can sit in plain sight and watch the bot completely ignore me while doing a b-line for the shield. Makes them very predictable and easy to beat no matter what the level, who cares if they get the shield, all I know is they cant grab it again till it respawns (I'll be waiting mwhahaha). If a bot can kill me without a shield well then, they deserve the frag :lol:

QUOTED FOR TRUTH. That sounds like a typical game spent playing offline. An online player will spawn rape you multiple times before you even know a shield belt even exist.

MonsOlympus

May 27, 2004
I like you Labnetik, you own. \o/

People like IronKnuckle wouldn't survive online anyway, he got so upset when I said offline players don't know anything about map flow(WHICH IS TRUE) and went on a PMS rampage. Lord knows what he would do if he went online and someone told him he was a terrible player and sucked. //wrist anyone?

ahhh ego at its finest, knock on the little man so you feel better about your poor skillz.

An online player will spawn rape you multiple times before you even know a shield belt even exist.

Wtf, yups alls fair in competition right?

Last edited:

WHIPperSNAPper

Mar 22, 2003
Visit site
hence why noone even plays it {edit--UT99} anymore. :lol: because it is so amazing :lol: NOT.

Actually, more people play UT99 today than play UT3 and perhaps even more than who play UT 2004.

However, the proper methodology for comparing the success of these games is to examine player counts at a given amount of time after each game's release. After all, UT99 was released in...1999.

The proper comparison is--how many people were playing UT99 in 2001 (two years after its release) compared to how many people were playing UT 2004 in 2006 (two years after its release). I can say that two years after UT99's release it was possible to find 3000 people (not bots counted as people by the server browser) playing UT99 CTF 24/7 (and that's just the CTF game). Can anyone say the same for UT 2004? I feel pretty certain that come late 2009, two years after UT3's release, UT99's player counts in 2001 will more than trounce UT3's player counts in 2009.

boogler

Banned
Jun 4, 2008
Dagny some retard admin edited my post. I said noone plays Unreal anymore. I know plenty of people play UT99.

Labnetik

Trapped In Unreality
May 10, 2006
England, UK
www.acidtechno.net

As humans we need to learn to understand and respect others enjoy different experiences than our own. As long as we are content with what we do for fun, then even if there is dislike for other things why go out of the way to make someone else feel worthless because of what they enjoy doing?

Everyone has a different game, right? and we can argue until the end of time about what's considered a fair game, what should be included and excluded, the list goes on.

There are plenty of people in this world who are very creative and design things, but who do not take any part in that creation. You might be a fantastic sports stadium architect, but you might not be that good at sports. I'm sure there's plenty of people who work in game studios that are easily beat online, but that doesn't make them any less of a person than the people who got to the final of the elitist pro frag tournament. We all have a part to play, and a game like UT provides a large playground of seperate parts where each of us can discover our own self tailored experience.

It's difficult enough to learn respect, that's in addition to the fact that life is constantly unbalanced.

WHIPperSNAPper

Mar 22, 2003
Visit site
I'm pretty sure someone who has played the UT series competetively in regards to lans, ladders, clanbase cups, and pickup games for years has more credibility in regards to what makes a map good for competition than someone who plays Logue 24/7. You are an offline player. You make map strategies based upon predicatable paths and movements that are constantly used by bots everytime you load the game. You have no idea what makes a map have good flow just for that simple fact. Competetive online players are the ONLY ones who can truly judgement a map for great gameplay flow. That's why some maps make the cut for competition and others end up on servers that have CTF-DagnyPlayhouseAdventure.

Dude, I agree with what you're saying, but why the hell are you picking on the Dagny maps? CTF-DagnysBigAssMap-V2 has been played in competitive 5-on-5 PUG matches and it's shown good game play (with maps often finishing in overtime with scores of 4-3 or 3-2, etc.). The same can be said for CTF-Dagnys-PussyWhIpPeD. Perhaps CTF-Dagnys-Tubes-of-Spam wouldn't make the cut for competition, but I don't see any reason why PussyWhIpPeD shouldn't be in the next MLUT.