Epic Announces "Major" UT3 Expansion

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

SPIDEYUT2K7

I see a blue screen
Feb 22, 2008
City of the Polution
Hey Spidey ive seen you a lot in the UMG server :D The UMG servers are usually full, anyone looking for a good game with lots of people just play there :p

YIAY! cool bro ! lets frag again YEAH!

About the dodge jump is one of the things that define UT from another games, besides, NTHEXWN do a couple of months ago a video tutorial of jumping in UT3, and when i see that i learn a lot of dodge jumps, wall dodges, and some tricky jumps to catch some special items :) and im still learning! I personally hope this remains in UT, i dont like to watch again the double dodge or super jump like UT2004, but like someone told before, maybe is good to have it like a mutator option ;)

Nahand

!!! God Of Random !1?
Oct 24, 2003
PT
...there's interest in the subject of Unreal franchise, and UT. That doesn't mean there's specific interest in UT3, although that's irrelevant...

...about UT in general, i play Unreal (yes, the original Botmatch-powered) and UT, and that's it. UT2004 was ok, but that was just it, ok. Not going to get into wich one was better (overdiscussed), but personally i just didn't dig into UT2004 and uninstalled it. The feeling was off, floaty, and silly: while UT has (and i highly enjoy and play) a more down to earth, hard hitting gameplay, UT2004 had it tweaked silly; while UT had some wooded but man-ish player animations (mostly), UT2004 doesn't - just watch a player model sidestepping in UT, and then the silly dance they do in UT2004. This are nitpicking, but relevant (IMHO) nitpicking when it comes to convein a sense of bloodsport that for all purpose and intent (and color) was present in UT... and that the chubby player models of UT2004 definitely didn't capture. That comparison can be taken to any other details between both games.

Why all this chat? Because UT2004, while ok, wans't in the end, the new UT sequel, and most often than not, many kept with UT (i do, and proudly). Not that i wouldn't play UT2004... but why bother really? I have a better game already with UT, and for far less disk space and system specs (and no hogging static meshes, that clutter more than give beauty to maps... and i prefer minimalistic maps, mostly, any way - although i enjoy the beauty of a good looking map... DM-Semerhket in UT2004 i.e.).

In the same way, if UT3 doesn't improve over the formula, there's little reason for people to move on, especially if they're like me that enjoys botmatching, as opposed to iGib/Sniper/Zark servers that comprise the little online activity... UT came with NW, people! NW are weapons too!

So, either there's some real product capable of improving over previous iterations beyond speculation, or were back at the same as with UT-UT2004...

In my black and pink sweaty dreams, i envision a simple UT formula: UT (so called ut99), plain and simple. Trim the content that doesn't matter (i.e. 98% of the stock maps=trash, make some actual playing maps with good looks. Not that hard, i have been living out of absolutely excellent custom content for UT, for 5 or so years now):

- maps anew, common knowledge of game flow would help. Stuff like Agony or Pyramid are ok for 3min, not for long lasting play. And we all know how to make cube maps, if we really want 3min fun... because... were *paying*. That means that what we pay should have some actual playing quality, lest we be resumed to custom maps to actually have fun. No, really. Actual quality is needed, or you're seeling cat for rabbit.

- diverse player models, with diverse skins, and several diverse voicepacks. Really. This is your representation in the game world where you'll spend most time (playing UT - rest is either navigating menus, or playing with Ued), and yet there's either limited choice (UT), or a little more choice, but highly uninteresting and ballet-like movement (UT2004)... how would you like to be in real world and see the same people, with the same cloth, saying the same things over and over and over, for years? Or having them dancing around and double hopping like some crack-powered rabbit?

- gametypes. Pretty simple. Keep them thight and simple. This is bound to anger some but there's my choice of known gametypes i'd like in a new UT:
Dm, Tdm, CTF, AS, Mutant, Jailbreak, Rocket Arena (not exactly as known, a little tweaked). Maybe any other for kicks, but that covers a good ground already. I'm not too keen on vehicle based gametypes, not because they're not interesting, but because i've yet to play one in FPS that is actually fun. In a competitive FPS, moving yourself is part of the 'science' in winning. Vehicles, until know, erase that...

Simple huh? Just UT, in a new engine, and polished. That is what i hope for the new product... but i have zero confidence in EPIC. Pretty silly they've been neglecting Unreal franchise, since that was what give them all they have right now, and since only Unreal franchise and GOW franchise are the only worthy stuff EPIC has to play with ATM...

FlashIV

King of the Impossible
Oct 30, 2005
Illi-noise
Not going to get into wich one was better (overdiscussed), but personally i just didn't dig into UT2004 and uninstalled it. The feeling was off, floaty, and silly: while UT has (and i highly enjoy and play) a more down to earth, hard hitting gameplay, UT2004 had it tweaked silly; while UT had some wooded but man-ish player animations (mostly), UT2004 doesn't - just watch a player model sidestepping in UT, and then the silly dance they do in UT2004. This are nitpicking, but relevant (IMHO) nitpicking when it comes to convein a sense of bloodsport that for all purpose and intent (and color) was present in UT... and that the chubby player models of UT2004 definitely didn't capture.

I just laughed out loud ;)

Entr0p1cLqd

May 25, 2004
...In the same way, if UT3 doesn't improve over the formula, there's little reason for people to move on, especially if they're like me that enjoys botmatching, as opposed to iGib/Sniper/Zark servers that comprise the little online activity... UT came with NW, people! NW are weapons too!...
Have you ever played UT3? Ever?

UT3 is, once you actually get past the diabolical AI into a game, UT on steroids. And on-line I've played more NW DM and TDM than I ever did with both UT and UT2K*.

UT3 > UT.

UnrealGrrl

Enemy flag carrier is Her!
Jun 16, 2000
www.unrealgrrl.com
I demand return of "Sexy Announcer" with her holy ****, and more palm (and other) speedtrees. In return they will get my 50 toilet paper pieces.

if Epic hadnt destroyed the ability to make voicepacks you would already have this ;)

Who did the vocal samples?

yeah those are my samples from a previous version of Jailbreak

i personally think Epic was dumb to make an announcement without giving any type of details. all this will do is hype this expansion to heavenly limits and dissapoint a majority of the people who didn't get what they thought they deserved.

i wouldn't be a bit surprised if by expanding their base, they mean to port UT over to the Wii or to the PSP. how many people would get pissed off then ??

i am not expecting anything from them. if they can fix the problems everyone has already listed here and potentially increase the amount of players, then i'm all for that. ... but im not holding my breath....

agreed mostly - well i dunno if it was dumb, but hopefully by seeing the big hopeful interest it has generated, maybethey will take this opportunity and run with it to do some good for UT :)

some details in the next few months though would help to stop rumors and stall bad feelings if its not this or that etc.

Last edited:

thinsoldier

Jul 30, 2008
title

Dear Epic:

Work with that guy who was making his own advanced/user-friendly/much better menu to actual achieve all the goals he had for it, then make that the official menu system

Retcon the storyline so that it's (1)Not **** & (2)A suitable sequel to ut2k4 or ut99 (I never considered UT2k4 to be a true sequel in the spirit of ut99)

Admit that your artists got drunk with the power of not being limited at all when it comes to details. Admit that your overabundance of unnecessary details made some elements of the game look like ****. Don't make the same mistake with any new content you add to the expansion. The gears of war team was able to walk that fine line. Why not UT3? Hell, I hate halo but I have to admit I prefer the way halo 3 looks.

Bring back some of the more interesting environments from ut2k4. Bring back the more interesting, more entertaining voice work from ut99 & ut2k4. Some of the taunts in UT3 sounds downright corny! And nothing sounds as arrogant, violent, insane, chaotic, and painful as the taunts/expressions in ut99. Also, the health vial pick-up sound is the most memorable sound in all of FPS as far as I'm concerned.

Bring back the variety and VISIBILITY that the ut2k4 player models had.

Make the decapitated head roll cam as random and visceral as the one in ut99!

PUT THE CAMERA BACK INTO THE TRANSLOCATOR (I've heard some mods have done it, surely you guys can)

Like UT2k4, give us some alternate weapon models. I quickly grew tired of all my weapons looking like insects. Maybe have the current weapons for the necris and something new and more earthly for the other factions.

DID YOU NOT WATCH The Chronicles of Riddick? How could you possibly justify moving forward with the Necris when you know everyone's already seen a move full of NECROMONGERS? There are just too many similarities. Your "creative" people should be fired.

Water, water everywhere. Not a drop contributes to gameplay.
Give us boats, jet-skis, submarines, something!

Every now and then give us a lightning gun instead of a sniper.

How about ditching the storyline completely and making UT the Super Smash Brothers of the Epic Games universe. No back story needed to explain why GoW characters are in it.

... I had more but I can't remember... It's been a while since I've played this game.

thinsoldier

Jul 30, 2008
If the nerds need some explanation and back story, just tell 'em the translocator technology is tweaked and adjusted to repair contestants as they're blown to bits during the matches. The same tech is also screwing with their synapses as not all of the energy flowing through the human nervous system is always saved during the translocator's reassembling of the raw matter and tissues.. etc..

Heck this gives me a great idea for a DM level, lol... "Wonder what the facility looks like where all these partial reassembles are, and where do the failures go..? I mean not all of the attempts can go as smoothly as others. There has to be some place for the combatants to receive medical attention and recuperate, and it would be a shame if some of them took their grudge matches into the facility..."

Something like this would also explain why the contestants can only battle in matches for set numbers of "frags". They can only be translocated back together so many times in a given amount of time before the risks of failure compound into certain death, or as these freaks call it, "retirement." >:)

I'd think this would also explain why the Cyborgs or out right robots like Xan have an easier time as they can also be traditionally repaired like the machines they are, and even upgraded as they go.

We needed some story like this, involving some grudges that went too far or something, not some half baked GoW wanna be story...

A friend of mine started thinking along those same lines within mere seconds of the first time he say the "pixie dust, fading out, glowing wireframe, levitating corpse, beam me up scottie" effect in ut2k3. No other storyline makes nearly as much sense as Autopsy's

thinsoldier

Jul 30, 2008
I agree. Either improve the dynamic music system a lot or just drop it altogether. Personally I prefer Jesper Kyd's music. His Necris themes were totally awesome.

I prefer the mp3 player in ut2k4. Play whatever music I felt like playing. It would be interesting though if they let us know about how they define the track segmets for the dynamic music and then let us write our own xml/ini files to match our own mp3s and use them as dynamic music.

Emmet Otter

I miss XMP :(
May 26, 2003
Home of the NHL Devils
Visit site
I don't know what these guys are thinking. What can they possibly offer to a game that they believe is doing sooooo 'awesome' in the market and with their console fans? Why would they waste time on what they believe to be a spectacular pc game in a dead pc market thats being pirated left and right!?!?! How can you guys think they'll offer improvements to an already 'superb' pc game they claim?

As much as I would wish to see a nice overhaul of the UI and add ALL the features /options we had in 2k4 with a few more new options/fearures to boot, I feel that they just dont care for their pc fans anymore.

I can only imagine a few half assed maps, half assed characters with a few cute bouncy vehikals that did'nt make the cut to the final crap game.............that im glad I didnt waste my money on to support their console version of UT!!!

http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=33934309

Last edited:

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
Looks like we have at least one confused soul here. Let me set the record straight. UT (the original) was the best, is the best, and will always be the best UT game.:)

boogler

Banned
Jun 4, 2008
Yay reporting trolls is such fun :D.

Back on topic I hope epic takes it's time with this expansion pack.

Nov 25, 2000
After purchasing UT2003, UT2004 & UT3, I'm convinced that Epic has completely lost touch with PC gaming. I hope that this expansion proves me wrong.