Unreal Evolution for UT3

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Beelzebud (Satanas)

Jul 15, 2003
Good luck guys. It's a huge undertaking, but I (and many many others) would LOVE to play a modernized Unreal. Even if it's only a few re-created levels.

The potential is good, because Unreal was one of the greatest games ever made.

I don't remember what the name of the level was, but there was the one where you rode in the Nali boat through some canyons. That could look amazing if done right in the new engine.

Hyrage

Apr 9, 2008
Can I get a reference of the kind of ''game/ mod'' we want to achieve exactly?
Like...
Singleplayer VS NPCs
COOP up to.. ? players
Run & Gun
Fast pace
Waves of enemies (or not?)
Enemies using waypoints [only that?]
Boss Fights?

Action mod?
More about survival?
NPC discussion added for side-quests?
Travelling with vehicles to switch between levels?

Etc..

Any ideas about those details? Or nothing is actually very clear?
I would like to help building this Unreal Mod with the crew around here, but I would like to know where to start at, especially to know how I could help. I don't know ''Unreal'' that much, thought, but I'm definitely familiar with ''action games, AI behavior [alternative level design] & player strategies''.

In other terms... would we ''recreate Unreal'' in Next Gen or take the actual UT3 assets and rethink the formula keeping the essence behind Unreal and make a real Next Gen Unreal.

I mean, like Starbreeze is doing with Chronicles of Riddik: Assault on Dark Athena.. they didn't just expand the game, they remake it totally.

Last edited:

MonsOlympus

May 27, 2004
Yeah I think the goal here is to recreate Unreal in detail and the gameplay that goes with that. So if you dont know your unreal I think youd have a hard time helping, my suggestion is to go check it out if you havent, also saves me answering all the above questions.

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
Yeah I think the goal here is to recreate Unreal in detail and the gameplay that goes with that. So if you dont know your unreal I think youd have a hard time helping, my suggestion is to go check it out if you havent, also saves me answering all the above questions.

+1. It should be your ordinary Unreal with better graphics, and only a few changes that are not visual (like easter eggs). Although dialogues like in Unreal II would be fun to have, instead of just seeing only dead bodies...

Apr 21, 2003
Europe
The map exists and you can run around in it :p
Good news!

While at it, get some guys to do the unreal monster importing thing, they don't even need the final map, they can use any UT3 map to test if they can get the original unreal monsters into UT3 and when your NyLeve's level is ready it will take less time to deal with this stuff.
Of course, these monsters are meant to be placeholders untill a full recreation can be achieved by the time.

MonsOlympus

May 27, 2004
You guys do know how long itd take modellers to make a ruff mesh of Unreal detail level? Lets just say, importing/exporting would take you longer then itd take me to model it. Though I will say theres unwrapping, rigging, exporting ontop of that but really, I think its abit of a lost cause since we'll end up modelling them low/high/medium you name it details anyways.

Thing Im most concerned about with the monsters apart from rigging (code for collision, anim etc is easy enough) is the diffuse textures. Those are going to take alot longer then the models themselves :eek:

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
You guys do know how long itd take modellers to make a ruff mesh of Unreal detail level? Lets just say, importing/exporting would take you longer then itd take me to model it. Though I will say theres unwrapping, rigging, exporting ontop of that but really, I think its abit of a lost cause since we'll end up modelling them low/high/medium you name it details anyways.

Thing Im most concerned about with the monsters apart from rigging (code for collision, anim etc is easy enough) is the diffuse textures. Those are going to take alot longer then the models themselves :eek:

Wouldn't it be easier to port these Unreal models from the ut2004 version, or ut2003 one with bonuspack? I mean I think I have seen some converted model or in the works from ut2004....