The WIP Screenshot Thread!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Numb51

Feb 3, 2008
Wow man, you have a very artistic eye. That looks amazing. I'm assuming that you're already a professional level designer?

Last edited:

cooloola

A good samaritan
Dec 31, 2005
Wow man, you have a very artistic eye. That looks amazing. I'm assuming that you're already a professional level designer?
I'm flattered but nope, not yet, but I'm an aspiring level designer.

Numb51

Feb 3, 2008
I'm flattered but nope, not yet, but I'm an aspiring level designer.

I forgot that's the first time you've meshed, lol. But yeah i'm sure you'll get picked up soon. I still need to learn to mesh :\ I'm just starting to learn to texture so, I have a ways to go.

cooloola

A good samaritan
Dec 31, 2005
That looks superb and has even a lot of UT99 feel in it (at least it reminds me a lot of that map from milb ;)).
Thanks man, it's always nice to have people compliment your work especially after having worked so hard on this map. And which map by mild are you talking about? Not that it matters much since all his maps are gorgeous and having my work compared to his is great.

Mclogenog

I put the lol in philology
[screenshot]http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj125/Mclogenog/Screenshot10-2.jpg[/screenshot]

A bioshock inspired map I'm working on. Just looking to get a little feedback. Currently it's a bit too hitscan and the lighting is far from complete. The layout however is done and the texturing process is where I'm at now. Hope you enjoy.

Sjosz

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Dec 31, 2003
Edmonton, AB
www.dregsld.com
Cooloola I hope you keep the use of colours moderated in the level. Can't really see it from the shots but there are quite a few different colours in there. I'm hoping the red is just a highlight, and not a main colour. Looking forward to seeing a build though.

cooloola

A good samaritan
Dec 31, 2005
Cooloola I hope you keep the use of colours moderated in the level. Can't really see it from the shots but there are quite a few different colours in there. I'm hoping the red is just a highlight, and not a main colour. Looking forward to seeing a build though.
There are two primary colors cyan, and orange the red are just highlights, and there is an ambient blue.

Numb51

Feb 3, 2008
Woohoo! I made my first ever crude model using blender!
That thing took me like two hours after doing stupid tutorials. :mad:

So when people make really complex meshes, like those wall meshes with the pipes and wheels, do they make individual meshes? Then do they combine all the meshes into one mesh to make their final product?

How many more man hours do you guys think it would take for me to make simple but pretty meshes?

I'm not talking about applying textures yet, I still need to learn that too.:(

Edit: I went to blenderartists.org and yeah, i have years and year to go. :(

Attachments

• firstmodel.JPG
    firstmodel.JPG
    161.4 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:
Woohoo! I made my first ever crude model using blender!
That thing took me like two hours after doing stupid tutorials. :mad:
Relax :)
After awhile you'll get faster.

So when people make really complex meshes, like those wall meshes with the pipes and wheels, do they make individual meshes? Then do they combine all the meshes into one mesh to make their final product?
Yes, if you want it as a single mesh to use in a map.
How many more man hours do you guys think it would take for me to make simple but pretty meshes?
The high poly meshes that are used to bake the normal maps from can take quite some time depending on the amount of detail you want.
I'm not talking about applying textures yet, I still need to learn that too.:(
Blender has really good UV tools so it won't be as hard as you think. It takes time and practice. Don't be intimidated and don't expect professional quality without practice. Just be persistent and patient ;)

Edit: I went to blenderartists.org and yeah, i have years and year to go. :(

You might also want to look at the video tutorials over at Blender Underground and Blender Newbies. Both helped me a great deal.

Oh, and nice job for a first try :)

Last edited:

m3fs

Oct 18, 2008
we are working on a new machinima called UT3 vs Halo.

UTvsHalo.jpg

there are also some deleted scenes over at Vimeo

Look for a release in 2-3 weeks. Cheers!

cooloola

A good samaritan
Dec 31, 2005
A CTF map i've been working on this past week, I'm using a modified cogworks layout for the bases.
[screenshot]http://i404.photobucket.com/albums/pp127/WaelBenDhia/CTF-Something.jpg[/screenshot]

nELsOn

bSnakeCastShadow = True
Aug 18, 2005
on a plane
www.nelsonmaps.wordpress.com
@cooloola: DM-Propyl looks awesome. kind of reminds me of both the original UT and the later levels of HL2. looking forward to it :)

i also thought i might just post some screenshots of my WIP.
so have a look and let me know what you think :)

hope those aren't too dark. the final's gonna be a bit brighter than this and as you can tell there are some meshes in there that still use the default texture or some other kind of placeholder. in general i guess i should really work more structured next time. saves a lot of time to know what you're going to do instead of just starting because you feel like making a map :(

Last edited:

Firefly

United Kingdom is not a country.
A CTF map i've been working on this past week, I'm using a modified cogworks layout for the bases.
[screenshot]http://i404.photobucket.com/albums/pp127/WaelBenDhia/CTF-Something.jpg[/screenshot]

@cooloola: DM-Propyl looks awesome. kind of reminds me of both the original UT and the later levels of HL2. looking forward to it :)

i also thought i might just post some screenshots of my WIP.
so have a look and let me know what you think :)

hope those aren't too dark. the final's gonna be a bit brighter than this and as you can tell there are some meshes in there that still use the default texture or some other kind of placeholder. i should really work more structured next time :(

these two are looking very promising.

BTW cooloola the review is posted

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
[SCREENSHOT]http://img247.imageshack.us/img247/9772/gearsxmaszd3.jpg[/SCREENSHOT]

I just got the basic theme up, it's still very VERY WIP.

Jetfire

Jul 25, 2005
woo minme christmas map!

For my part- starting upgrades to the crappy rush job i did on the ship internals in Planetstorm v1

[SCREENSHOT]http://img246.imageshack.us/img246/7914/griphonint1ln4.jpg[/SCREENSHOT]

[SCREENSHOT]http://img167.imageshack.us/img167/6264/griphonintgm4.jpg[/SCREENSHOT]

btw, still looking for experienced mappers to help on the project ;)

Last edited: