The Offical [BETA] UW Feedback thread...

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Malibu Barbie

Action Figure
Jan 21, 2005
unwheel.beyondunreal.com
Okay, so far I like it but......

Youse killed the Wildfish II !!! I loved the way I could slide that car around the corners on the old version. But it doesn't work on this one.

With the old WF2, on tight corners, it was very easy to do a power slide with great perfection, without ever lifting from the gas, and exiting the corner on a perfect line. But now, it drives like all the other cars. :(

One other little problem I found was that, with the F1 car (one of the new ones, not the older 'hidden' one), whenever I'm at speed and lift off the gas in order to slow down for a corner, the car goes into a spin. It would be a great car for trainrace, but I can't slow it down for the tighter corners.

Shrimp

Seafood splatter
Jan 13, 2003
Deep in South Africa
shrimpworks.za.net
OK, not sure about the Wildfish II, I think it's had it's suspension stiffened. I like it though, get some of my best lap times with it :).

On the Formula Racer (I think it's Formula Racer II which does it), I'm not too sure, but I've seen a lot of good records result from it. The spinning out only seems to happen when you are traveling at near top speed, so, perhaps that's supposed to happen, will have to see what Steve has to say I think :).

stevenhorton

Not of this World
Jan 9, 2004
Central USA
home.mchsi.com
I don't recall changing the WildFishII. The Formula's spin at top speed is something I haven't been able to fix, as Shrimp said it happens near top speed. My Formula cars are almost idenical as far as the bones and size, but the Formula car 2 behaves very different from the Formula; as far as I can tell this is more of an art than a science:p

DARRKCLOUD

Nov 10, 2005
Malibu Barbie said:
Okay, I must have missed something. Can someone tell me where I can DL the beta from?
I was wondering this too. I Keep going to the Unwheel site pritty much every day to see if the new one is out, but now I am starting to think if it will ever come out because you are over 2 months late of your original deadline of the 3rd/4th december. :(

jerdaygo

How jerdaygo?
Jan 10, 2004
USA
DARRKCLOUD said:
I was wondering this too. I Keep going to the Unwheel site pritty much every day to see if the new one is out, but now I am starting to think if it will ever come out because you are over 2 months late of your original deadline of the 3rd/4th december. :(

Well it is true that this new versions release has taken longer than anticipated, but their is good news. The new version is in beta testing so it should not be too long before the public release :D

JamesBong

'JeeP' addict
Sep 18, 2002
oHIo
Visit site
I dont know if possible or too big a code chunk to hack out, but in offline practice, when a match is over, and you hit escape and forfeit. insted of going back to main menu, can it take you back to map selection menu? or maybe implement a "race again" button on that escape menu. sorry.... i know, im getting lazy in my old age ;) heh

btw: awsome job on 'Highway from Hell' map :clap:

Edit: are we supposed to turn off the record lap thingy until released ? .... i see the only records are from shrimp, mb and myself

Last edited:

$n][pErMan

UnWheel Server Guru!
Aug 29, 2004
Well I had some time late last night in between finals to install the beta on my windows computer. I only had time to play one map and do some small testing. I played highway from hell and I must say that is one badass map! :D Also... the new damage system is sweet. I started to hit a bunch of stuff to see what would happen and at the point where my car was starting to catch fire I could have gotten out and walked faster .. lol :) This shouldkeep people from flying around like pinballs! :D Hope to do alot more testing this weekend inbetween my project and hopefully I can get the linux beta server online and running for the burnout! I got the files of the server duplicated and the beta upload... I just need to figure out how to get it running as a mod using comman lines on linux. I tried a little last night but for some reason it was erroring out. I dont think it was reading the host.ini file right or something was missing somewhere. Does it matter where I append -mod=UnWheel in the "./ucc server" startup command line? Also, should I be starting the server from the UnWheel system directory or the UT2004 system directory and where should I place my host.ini file in this case? Also shrimp, I deleted all UW files I could find in the UT2k4 system directory... do I need to remove all UW refferences from the host.ini too?

Last edited:

Malibu Barbie

Action Figure
Jan 21, 2005
unwheel.beyondunreal.com
Slo-Mo flying?

So, anytime I go into one of those jumps where the camera angle changes, I'm flying in slow-motion. Is everyone else having this? makes you want to NOT hit the jumps very fast, so the camera angle doesn't change, and you do the jump in regular speed.

Shrimp

Seafood splatter
Jan 13, 2003
Deep in South Africa
shrimpworks.za.net
JeeP: Yes, please record lap times. In fact, everyone should be, to test it out ;).

Sniper: I'm not 100% sure why it's not starting up. I'd suggest placing the host.ini within the UT2004/UnWheel/System directory, and just append -ini=host.ini as usual. I also think the -mod should be at the end of the command line (just before -nohomedir though).

If you can't get your custom .ini to work, I'd suggest not specifying any -ini option, and it will use the default UnWheel.ini in UT2004/UnWheel/System/. Perhaps delete that file if it exists, run the server once to generate a base .ini file with most options (and the default UnWheel options from Default.ini), and then customize the UnWheel.ini to whatever you want, then start the server again. That should give you a good set of UW-compatible settings.

I don't think allowing it to use UnWheel.ini would be a problem, since I doubt you're using the server to actually play UW? So your settings won't be messed up by accident.

Barbie: What's wrong with the slo-mo? :p It's been there since forever just about. It isn't just your car that slows down, the whole game slows, so your lap times should not be affected, and nobody else will zoom past you while you gracefully float through the air. The slow motion doesn't happen in multiplayer for obvious reasons.

Malibu Barbie

Action Figure
Jan 21, 2005
unwheel.beyondunreal.com
Little issue with the 'records' page. It shows not the records for each track, but the latest timed lap for the track. For example, right now on http://unwheel.beyondunreal.com/records.php it looks like Strangelet has the record for uwrc-flyaway. But if you click on uwrc-flyaway you'll noticed that his is actually the 4th fastest time.

And what happened with Midnight Air? I'm having one hell of a time trying to get around the track with any vehicle.

BTW, I found the trick to make the WF2 power-slide arond the corners. Its not as clean as in the old version, but it works.

Cheers.

Malibu Barbie

Action Figure
Jan 21, 2005
unwheel.beyondunreal.com
stevenhorton said:
I don't recall changing the WildFishII.
That's odd. That used to be my favorite vehicle since I could just move the mouse very fast in the direction I wanted it to go, and it would just do a power-slide and follow in that direction. great fun. But now I must lift off the gas or sometimes even tap the 'reverse' to make it go into a similar slide.

as far as I can tell this is more of an art than a science:p

And we thank you all for being such great artists! :)

Malibu Barbie

Action Figure
Jan 21, 2005
unwheel.beyondunreal.com
Hey look! I'm quadruple-posting!

Anyway, another suggestion for the records page. Right now, one can click on a name to see that person't records, or on a track name to see the fastest laps on that track. How about adding the same functionality the the vehicles?

JamesBong

'JeeP' addict
Sep 18, 2002
oHIo
Visit site
Malibu Barbie said:
Hey look! I'm quadruple-posting!
dummy ;)

just wanted to say good job on Templus map ... PX :)

and can we add in the maps we previously downloaded for MSU version ? ie.deck-17 grandvalleys tricky northern etc...

Shrimp

Seafood splatter
Jan 13, 2003
Deep in South Africa
shrimpworks.za.net
Records page: Well, it simply displays the 10 latest submitted records, regardless of where they actually placed. I think a "Position" column may be helpful there.

Midnight Air: Seems to be there fine... Anyone else missing it?

Extra maps: I'm hoping to releast them in a pack, with, or soon after the new UW release. Since they aren't 100% original works, or are not by members of the team, I don't feel right including them. Also, they are huge, and would increase the release download size dramatically.

Malibu Barbie

Action Figure
Jan 21, 2005
unwheel.beyondunreal.com
Shrimp said:
Midnight Air: Seems to be there fine... Anyone else missing it?
I'm not missing it. It is just nearly impossible to race on it. I tried with all the usual vehicles I used to race there, and they all keep crashing at the landings, at the begining of the ramps, in the middle of corners, etc. That used to be a map where i could kick butt, and where the VW Bug was king, but no way I can complete a lap with the bug on it now.

Shrimp

Seafood splatter
Jan 13, 2003
Deep in South Africa
shrimpworks.za.net
Ah, sorry, mis-read that completely. Trying to reply to 5 replies at once and all ;) :p. I tried it out, and I'm not sure why its behaving like it is. I think it's probably the increased vehicle speeds causing us to slam into things harder than before...

On the extra maps thing - Highway From Hell wasn't really supposed to be in this beta, slipped in by mistake ;).

jerdaygo

How jerdaygo?
Jan 10, 2004
USA
Shrimp said:
On the extra maps thing - Highway From Hell wasn't really supposed to be in this beta, slipped in by mistake ;).

I can see how it could have "slipped in by mistake" :p yeah right

ROFL :lol: ;)

PS: I am going to try to checkout all my maps this week, including MidnightAir, and FurrowDashRally :p LOL :)

Last edited: