SHOULD WE KEEP THE LIGHTNING GUN?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Should Lightning Gun Stay?

• YES!!!

Votes: 126 71.2%
  • NO!

Votes: 51 28.8%

• Total voters

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Anyone who hates the LG with a passion is either a camper moron, or just a regular moron.

gregori

BUF Refugee
May 5, 2005
Baile Atha Cliath, Eireann
I hated the LG initially, but then it grew on me, esp the LG in UC

Keep both the LG and a new Sniper Weapon but improve the visual and sound effects of the LG by about 1000000% so it actually feels like a gun that fires thuder and Lightning. Make it a Necris designed weapon also. It seems like the kind of weapon the necris would invent with all the thunder and lightning............ITS ALIVE...IT's ALIVE..and so on!!! :D

-AEnubis-

fps greater than star
Dec 7, 2000
The Nicest Parts of Hell
The only sniper weapon that's asthetically held a candle to the LtG in the unreal series is the Unreal Sniper Rifle. It still didn't shoot lightning out of the barrel, and gib targets, so it sill loses.

Every other functional aspect will get nerfed as pings get closer to LAN. So even if they brought a bullet sniper back, it won't be like it was again... ever.

MonsOlympus

May 27, 2004
Just had a look myself and Im not complaining, looks sweet as. You must be a big fan of the lgun I didnt even remember that :lol:

f.sardis

Apr 10, 2006
gregori said:
Functionally, the lightning gun is fine, its the aesthetics that make if look and feel crap, Epic just executed a really cool idea extremely poorly!

If the lightning looked like: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7819856102531162079&q=lightning&pl=true

then it would be an aesthetically excellent weapon!

The old UT sniper rifle actually sounded, and looked powerful!!!

it aint just the sound and the smoke man. it has to be powerful. imagine the deemer going BOOOOOM! and doing 30 dmg.
the weapons must be more realistic. at least the guns that should be lethal must be fixed. it pisses me off all the time when people survive a rocket or a flack in the face. maybe they can survive those gay laser guns but ffs not a damn rocket.
and sorry for going off topic.

i guess what i am trying to say is that a lightning gun should be a one hit kill weapon since its a bloody lightning after all.
i voted for the gun to stay but like i said i dont see how its useful in any way when a sniper rifle is around.
oh and that gay smoke after each shot has to go. it doesnt exist in real rifles at present how can it be in future sniper rifles? its just ridiculous.

Last edited:

f.sardis

Apr 10, 2006
little concern for balance? have you even followed other threads? i am all for balance.
it should be one shot kill and become a super weapon. end of story. unstead of deemer you get that but with 5 ammo instead of 1. thats how i would have it. right now it just looks odd to have the power of thunder and need 2 hits to kill. lightning doesnt strike the same spot twice. one hit kill is the way. of course from the looks of it, lg has been removed completely so who gives a ****.

for one who is the balance "type" you got a pretty odd sig of the shock rifle. shock whore much? and you are concerned about balance? hypocrite or what?

-AEnubis-

fps greater than star
Dec 7, 2000
The Nicest Parts of Hell
My shock whore days are long since past. It's simply not the gun it was in UT.

Fact is, electricity can be conveyed in different voltages, and amperages, meaning it doesn't necessarily have to kill every time. It can be gagued to just maim :D

Bullet sniper fty (for the yawn)

f.sardis

Apr 10, 2006
dude, if you have enough voltage to generate a lightning it doesnt matter how many amps it carries you will be fired alive no matter how unreal the game.

then again same can be applied to the sniper rifle of minigun but kevlar vests exist in present let alone the world of unreal.
if they were to wear an insulator then the gun wouldnt do any damage at all apart from headshot. so what will it be? make it a super weapon or remove it?

stange you said your shock whore days are over since ut99 cause in 2004 its easier than ever to be one. it was a disaster again on the pubs. the just walk straight and do a combo. thats all the skill they got. as soon as the get in a fire fight up close or with different weapons they die in a few shots. i havent seen a shock whore than plays well with any other weapon.

-AEnubis-

fps greater than star
Dec 7, 2000
The Nicest Parts of Hell
No, with slower cores, and more ammo consumption on the combo, it is much, much harder to whore shock then it was back then, especially if by combo. Since I am of the opinions that hit-scan based beam attacks are the most boring frags you can achieve, then you might understand why it's no longer my "bread and butter" weapon. As well, know that the switch times are so much faster in 2kx, I hardly use 1 weapon all that often. I mainly used shock/link/trans in UT, because they switched out the fastest.

...and uh, people in actual reality survive lightning strikes... I still fail to see your logic. It's no different then a taser. Taser is all dc battery fueled volts. The actuall volts will burn the skin best, and cause external damage, and temporary disruption of the nervous system, to what it connects with, which the body can be tempered to withstand. Most Lighning strikes, or electrocutions that are lethal, stop the heart because of the amps.

Besides, who want's a bolt super weapon, when we have mini nukes, and air strikes?

Fuzzle

spam noob
Jan 29, 2006
Norway
Just to emphasize, if you want to get into the whole "realism" thing on the LG, the tazer is indeed a much better example as the LG fires a metal harpoon to conduct the charge, instead of being a handheld teslacoil conducting the charge through thin air.

sid

I posted in the RO-me thread
and all I got was
a pink username!
Oct 20, 2005
LG is a must but its effects should be more detailed and fragific.