1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

SHOULD WE KEEP THE LIGHTNING GUN?

Discussion in 'Unreal Tournament 3' started by ->Sachiel<-, Feb 6, 2006.

?

Should Lightning Gun Stay?

1. YES!!!

126 vote(s)
    71.2%
  2. NO!

51 vote(s)
    28.8%
  1. -AEnubis-

-AEnubis- fps greater than star

As well, addressing shock, because of Lightning > shock doesn't address Lightning > flak, Lightning > rox, Lightning > Link, etc, etc.

Honestly, Ltg > chunk is my biggest concern and chunk alreay has a pretty wicked load time.

I'm with T2A on the idea of stonger, harder to use weapons. Barring maybe shock... it really depends... Shock can still retain damage capabilities in it's other aspects: cores and combos. I kind of like the idea of beam push making it more of a utility weapon. At current rof and push though, it should do like 25 dmg. We already have a beam like weapon, why need two that we use for damage?

One weapon that has lockdown, one weapon that pushes the crap out of you, and bring back the ripper alt, so you can bounce the crap out of somone, and you have a whole nother dimension of tactic added to the game.

2. radicalrom

radicalrom New Member

Drop either lightning or sniper

To make a new weapon I feel that the lightning OR sniper rifle should be dropped. I do not think both are needed, just one of them.

3. BeMyMonkey

BeMyMonkey Village Idiot

Remove the LTG and I'll seriously reconsider buying UT2007...

4. nuttella

nuttella Scare

It's been said before, but it's just a name. They could make a sniper rifle that fires an "energized plasma slug," and it could be really cool. All that's important is that it isn't lame like UT2004's classic sniper.

5. Deadmeat

Deadmeat New Member

The lightning gun was just UT2003's poor excuse for a rail gun. It makes a puny sound, poor impact on your target and has a pretty rubbish model. And why o why does a long range precision weapon have splash damage !?!? It makes sense given the electrical nature of the weapon but goes against the principle of a sniping type gun.

I agree that UT'99's sniper was definately over powered (and it pains me to say that as I loved that gun) and looked like a modern day M16 with scope (doesn't quite gel with the other more imaginative weapons) but the lightning gun was not the answer. Hmm, I didn't really like the classic sniper brought back in UT2004 either though - felt like a compromise because they had also kept the lightning gun, they had to make it abit different and the weapon suffered because of it.

Epic should ditch both and design a new sniper weapon, could be a ultra high powered laser, a slug firing weapon, how about some kind of sonic weapon that makes the targets head pop for head shots (a'la scanners). It should be a hitscan weapon though. And for godsake make it FEEL powerful.

6. the head

the head New Member

From the snipers POV

although I play with the sniper alot(with adjusted ones though),I do find the LG more EASY to use than that nasty 2k4 SR, yet with a new modell(the 2k4 modell was kinnda short,alll u could see of the rifle was the scope and barrle,which is one of the things who made it suck)and a 99 or UC2 sniper style, it would be fine and I would prefer it over the LG, and that's what epic ARE doing with UT2K7,not bringing the LG back I promise you.

Now about the SR's style;
    there are several styles of sniping in UT:free style, Run&Gun(my favorite) and Sniping & Camping ,true, UT is a fast-paced,short-range game, yet its not ALL about short range, and most of us snipers prefer the Sniping&Camping style over the Run&gun style, because that's what sniper-rifles are for, UT2k7 WILL have some mid-long range combats( mostly in the vehicular gametypes but also in DM) which WILL Involve Sniping, and a good sniper is a camping sniper.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2006
  7. Monster Kill

Monster Kill New Member

The 'principle' that you speak of is just a stereotype fed to you by other games with un-original sniper rifles. The LTG is an Unreal Tournament original that takes sniping to a new level with splash damage. + it's not as insanely overpowered as some sniper rifles that I know of...

8. Deadmeat

Deadmeat New Member

Having to get a direct hit with a long range sniping weapon is part of the weapon balance. If your sniping at someone miles off the least you can do is hit them squarely rather than killing them with lots of near misses.

Splash damage also helps out in short range combat because, again if you only miss someone by alittle then you still hurt them. It makes the weapon too versatile.

Lightning guns crap.
    I'm right.
    Your wrong.
    So there.
    Wee wee head.;)

9. gregori

gregori BUF Refugee

It would be severe and light up the player positon to stop too much camping,
    but it would be very very brief as are most lighning flashes in real life.
    Current lighning gun effect looks cr*p and fake.

Shock rifle needs too be definetly differenciated from the lightning gun tactically as their too similar atm. Shock rifle needs more push, infact i prefer the travelling fuzzy beam of UT99 to the laser beam used in UT2kx, it looks like it could actually jolt characters of their feet ,

bring back the huge shockwave effect too, emphasing that it is a shockwave weapon.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2006
  10. Saverous

Saverous New Member

The LG has no such splash damage as a RL. If you want to kill someone using only splash, you will have to try hardly. And your target can easily define a direction of fire, unlike if you're shooting SR. SR - for camping, LG - for action.

11. the head

the head New Member

By far the SR and the Link-Gun are the most mysterious weapons in 2007,we know almost nothing about them, I once saw a Concept-Art screenshot of the SR on 2k7,using the UC2 modell,this may point that the Sniper is going UC2 style(primary=3 shots & alter-fire is a scope mode with powerfull single rounds) but the modell doesn't tell for certian how the weapon will act, I thought it would be LIKE 99, but the BU page says 2k4
    ?????????

12. JeniSkunk

JeniSkunk New Member

I'd like to see a sniper weapon which, when not in scope mode, has an ROF the same as the original Unreal sniper rifle. Makes it effective on the arena floor.
    When the sniper weapon is in scope mode, the ROF drops to same as the UT2003/4 lightning gun. It takes time between shots.
    At present, in Unreal/UT we have a sniper rifle with a way too fast ROF when in scope mode, and in UT2003/4 too slow an ROF for the arena floor.
    As for sounds, the UT2003/4 lightning gun/sniper rifle sounds nerfed in comparison to the Unreal/UT ones.
    In terms of style, the lightning gun is the clear winner, since it keeps to the Unreal series trademark of fantasticly styled imaginative weapons.
    The problem facing players as snipers is what is the difference between setting up shop in a snipers perch, and camping? Epic decided to bypass the question entirely by making the UT2003/4 lightning gun/sniper rifle give the snipers position away, thereby nerfing even further the effectiveness of weapons already nerfed by a slow ROF. A possibe solution for this question would be the creation of specific 'Sniper Zones' where the standard anti-camping rules for the game do not apply, as long as the player is using a sniper weapon. Keeping the location revealing visuals is a good idea, since it means that a sniper can't afford to stay put. But reduce the time that those visuals remain visible. Make it hard to see when a sniper is present in a snipers perch in a game, but not impossible.
    As for dropping either the lightning gun or the sniper rifle, keep both.

Jenifur Charne

Last edited: Apr 6, 2006
  13. Selerox

Selerox COR AD COR LOQVITVR

LtG > SR

The UT99 SR had a ROF that was too fast to be balanced. End of story. Sniper rifles are cliche anyway, I'd much prefer Epic went with something a little more innovative, like... er... the lightning gun.

14. neilthecellist

neilthecellist Renegade.

Well, if you want to talk about innovation, and speak of the LG like that...

I'm up for it. :)

15. Saverous

Saverous New Member

absolutely agree.
    as it already has been told, lightning gun is more Unreal weapon than a rifle. Rifles, miniguns & etc should be forgotten forever.

16. MonsOlympus

MonsOlympus Active Member

umm I agree the lightning gun is better than the sniper rifle but umm....

Quake had a lightning gun as well so its not exclusive to unreal, the way it functions in unreal is what makes it unique. Perhaps people forgot :lol:

17. neilthecellist

neilthecellist Renegade.

Its functionality in the Unreal series does FAR better than the lightning gun in Quake. And that's fact.

18. Deadmeat

Deadmeat New Member

Funny, I thought that was just an opinion? ;)

19. JeniSkunk

JeniSkunk New Member

Selrox, Please *DO* read what you are replying to.

I said the Unreal sniper rifle, not the UT one.

Jenifur Charne

20. skullmummy

skullmummy New Member

I HATE the LG with a passion. The sniper rifle is better.