1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

SHOULD WE KEEP THE LIGHTNING GUN?

Discussion in 'Unreal Tournament 3' started by ->Sachiel<-, Feb 6, 2006.

?

Should Lightning Gun Stay?

1. YES!!!

126 vote(s)
    71.2%
  2. NO!

51 vote(s)
    28.8%
  1. moonflyer

moonflyer New Member

i guess the lighting gun will be back within a bonus pack, just like sniper of 2k4:]
    so i don't care if this gun is there when the game is released

2. neilthecellist

neilthecellist Renegade.

I thought my post was enough to answer his silly question.

Silly rabbit! Tricks are for kids!

*karate moves*

"SHARE, BITCH!" - Rabbit

(Family Guy spoof)

3. -AEnubis-

-AEnubis- fps greater than star

lol, the funny thing is, guess what the syntax for the lightning gun was?

Sniperrifle

It's a rifle that you "sniped with" and it shot lightning.

The phrase "Sniper Rifle" doesn't mean "Classic Sniper Rifle" or "Bullet Sniper Rifle" or anything like that. It truly makes no conclusive description of what the Sniper Weapon is going to be like.

We just happen to have been told that "The lightning gun will not return in 2k7." That is it. Mod it back in all you want, and shoot bots with it to your hearts content.

I'll probably be shooting people with something much better.

4. Trynant

Trynant Manic Brawler

Simple answer for a simple problem.

Here's the answer to the issue of keeping the LG:

Yes.

5. Krazy K

Krazy K .....

Its not that. Its just the LG was Unreal-esque. Not just some boring old sniper rifle. It was a lightning gun!

I have faith in Epic that the "sniper rifle" in UT07, what ever incarnation it may be, will be great. Every other game in the world has a sniper rifle. Unreal has the LG, don't change it! I'm sure the SR will be great, but until they bring back the LG it wont be the same. Sure, I can mod it back in, but its just not the same.

6. Kharnellius

Kharnellius .

I found the LG and sniper rifle to be too similar in UT2k4 so I used TweakTool v2.2 to change them a bit. (among 100s of other very small but significant changes among weapons for balancing reasons)

I changed LG to do 78 dmg per hit but had a 1.79 sec refire delay compared to its orginal of 70 dmg and 1.60 sec refire delay.

The Sniper I changed to do 58 dmg and have a 1.29 refire delay compared to the orginal 60 dmg and 1.33 refire delay.

This effectively changed very little in the avg dmg/sec for each weapon but made them much more distinctive (as you can see below...)

LG (original) = 43.75 dmg/sec --> LG (changed) = 43.58 dmg/sec
    Sniper (orignal) = 45.11 dmg/sec --> Sniper (changed) = 44.62 dmg/sec

Both do slightly less dmg/sec but its pretty insignificant when you really think about it.

The nice thing is this effectively makes the LG a powerful weapon especially for use against vehicles but you suffer by having to wait really long between shots. I found myself firing off a shot then switching while waiting to recharge in order to use a shock rifle or some other weapon.

The Sniper rifle became a better weapon for medium to long range attacks and I have even considered lowering its damage to 56 and its refire to something like 1.25 so its avg dmg/sec is 44.8 (closer to its original and closer to the original sniper rifle in UT99).

Nevertheless, I feel there is a place for both in the game if they are made more distinctive in-game. (also remove the stupid puff and instead put a massive muzzle flash in front of it while keeping the tracer fire)

There ya have it,
    Kharn

EDIT: Another idea I had was that the LG could be used to "slow" down vehicles in that each shot would cause parts of the vehicles systems to short circuit thus making it slow down for a short second as it recovers. Something similar could be done against players since that they are being "eletrocuted".

Last edited: Apr 18, 2006
  7. moonflyer

moonflyer New Member

well i don't think LG is really unique, from the first time i saw this gun, it had being always reminding me of quake's railgun:lol:
    i mean don't be foolled by the named, yup it's called lighting gun, but actually it's just a lightbeam, and with a zoom

so if we do need something unique, then remove both LG and sniper, bring us something totally new!

8. neilthecellist

neilthecellist Renegade.

Yeah, well, it's got pretty looks, moonflyer.

Hey, I remember you actually... hao jiu mei jian mian. (long time no see)

9. moonflyer

moonflyer New Member

:p actually im not sure who you are...

10. Saverous

Saverous New Member

it's not a Sniper Rifle, it's a Sniper Minigun

11. -AEnubis-

Yeah, that sniper had to be silly fast, because then even broadband pings were in the 100s.

That's the only reason that weapon was like that.

12. gregori

gregori BUF Refugee

Thats funny! There have been more sniper rifles in the whole Unreal seriesthan anything!

there is one in:

Unreal
    Unreal 2
    Unreal Tournamnent
    Unreal Tournament 2004
    Unreal Championship 2

Seriouslt though Epic should think of putting some original weapons in the series, the latest lineout has not one single new weapon in it! Necris being dark and sneaky sound like the types that would use a sniper weapon, i think Necris sniper weapon is needed, something original

or a least give the design of the current sniper rifle an original design, maybe a retro hunting rifle look with a wooden stock, but an alien design with spikes/bayonette bits, that fires Iron Bolts magnetically

13. f.sardis

f.sardis Member

what do you mean necris weapons? unreal never had race specific weapons and i dont see why it would make sense to do so now.
    according to the story line in all unreals the weapons are standard military models and nothing more.

14. Deadmeat

Deadmeat New Member

Wrong. Go check the first Unreal game (whose weapons were used as a basis for UT).

Correct - although this is something unreal fans seem to ignore. (something from Quake in Unreal??? Blasphemy!!!) Bah I blame it on UT2003 (it's the red headed step child of the series)

Last edited: Apr 19, 2006
  15. Kharnellius

Kharnellius .

What?!?! Im not so sure you understand what I am saying. That means it fires once every 1.25 seconds compared to the original (ut2k4 not UT99) refire of 1.33 seconds. How is that a sniper mingun? Its still much slower than UT99!

I will assume you thought I was refering to UT99 speeds. I was refering to UT2k4 speeds.

Kharn

16. -AEnubis-

Yeah, the whole original premise for the weapons were you finding them in Unreal, as you were a prisoner on a crashed ship, trying to find your way back to civilization. They were all very alien, and in Unreal Tournament, now I didn't read this, but you kind of got the impression that the military got a hold of these weapons when you got back to civilization, and mocked them up for their own use. Hence why the flak cannon went from being carved out of stone, to having a digital ammo display on the back.

So basically, all the weapons are man re-made alien weapons, barring maybe the bullet weapons.

17. neilthecellist

neilthecellist Renegade.

I wouldn't mind, as long as the weapons are Freud-sexy (remember that thread?)

18. f.sardis

f.sardis Member

the first unreal included alien weapons indeed. but the first unreal and unreal tournament are not the same game. same way that unreal 2 does not have the same weapons as 2003/4

the weapons are all terran technology since the tournament is ran by humans.

19. Saverous

Saverous New Member

I think UT04's Sniper Rifle is too fast already, and it's no sence to make it faster. Sniper Rifle must shoot slow, but powerful, even more than LtG. Something like ~90 dmg and 2 sec recharge

20. -AEnubis-

Unreal and UT has mostly the same weapons. Less the stinger, and dispersion pistol, and a ripper/razorjack. Rest of the arsenal was the same.