1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

SHOULD WE KEEP THE LIGHTNING GUN?

Discussion in 'Unreal Tournament 3' started by ->Sachiel<-, Feb 6, 2006.

?

Should Lightning Gun Stay?

1. YES!!!

126 vote(s)
    71.2%
  2. NO!

51 vote(s)
    28.8%
  1. moonflyer

moonflyer New Member

why not mix sniper with lighting gun, to create a new weapon: Ray Bow!
    lol, imagine:
    - very cool dark scifi style model, a bow you've never seen before
    - it shoots ray arrow, with very cool graphic effect
    - ray arrow flys kinda like the shock rifle beam(or the instagib beam) of ut99, but visually the arrow is much shorten than those beam.
    - you feel the arrow is not instant, but the damage is instant or almost, not like the stake gun of painkiller or the bow of hl2, cos this is ray!
    - this gun has a zoom view, with a very cool special handing animation
    - in zoom view, you could customize the mouse speed, smooth...etc.
    - this gun support physics, means you will be pinned onto a wall by the arrow if you don't have enough hp. also allows headshot, leaves your head pinned on the wall. After a while, the arrow will dissolve and your body falls to ground
    - very clear but cool sound, you know how a bow sounds
    - you can time your shooting, cos the clear "reload" animation & sound
    - because the ray could be very bright, you will be spotted while using this gun, so no camper friendly, also you will clearly see where your arrow going

2. f.sardis

f.sardis Member

the LG doesnt throw a harpoon. what are you talking about? your post is a bit confusing. this is what i found, to make it clear to all.
    "Once the target has been acquired, the operator depresses the trigger, painting a proton ‘patch’ on the target. Milliseconds later the rifle emits a high voltage arc of electricity, which seeks out the charge differential and annihilates the target." straight from the manual.

people survive lighning? i agree, only like 1 in a few thousand. the taser gun matey uses a coil to create the cirquit, therefore the volts are much lower than an actual thunder like the lg is. besides lets say that the lg is capable of 1m volts the it should only be able to create an arc for up to a distance X, for distance X+1 the target would be unreachable. yea i am suggesting it should have a range like the link gun shaft.
    i think lg as a super weapon would break the monotony of one shot big boom super weapons we have. besides it would have better use on some maps than the deemer. i think it would be cool to have it as super weapon with max 5 rounds. dont see how it breaks the balance since you can already have it like that with DD and with more ammo. and even if it becomes super, you will always have the sniper which is much better in every respect.
    by the way, whats wrong with the sniper rifle? why call someone moron for not liking the lg? i can always tell where i am shot from by a sniper rifle. you can see the trail of the round. if you are being shot by a sniper and you dont know where its coming from you are a noob.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2006
  3. Saverous

Saverous New Member

oh come on, you want a one-shot-kill weapon? Super Shock Rifle - "here you go son" (c) Jim Carrey

4. gregori

gregori BUF Refugee

5. brdempsey69

brdempsey69 Original UT Owns !!

Agreed 100%. I'm glad they're getting rid of it in UT2007. See my sig.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2006
  6. f.sardis

f.sardis Member

7. Wail of Suicide

Wail of Suicide Member

I like the Lightning Gun conceptually ... Although my experience with it in UT2003 scarred me permanently. Seriously, what, a 3 second reload time? Zzz.

As far as UT2004 -- I do definitely like it more mechanically. But who wouldn't? More damage, slight splash damage? Good times.

I think the lightning tracer concept is pretty cool, but while that one aspect does "discourage camping" (I've never had a serious problem with camping myself) making the weapon fire so damn slowly is a much stronger reinforcement that in order to use the weapon you need to take up a position somewhere remote and hard to get to and start making shots. I suspect that if UT2004 didn't have fast weapon switching it would basically never be used outside of camping.

In general I get the feeling that it's extremely difficult to design a weaponset that works with DM/CTF that will work well with ONS/vCTF... To be honest I might prefer to split the game into two different games -- With vehicles and without -- But I think and hope that what we'll end up seeing is some more dedicated anti-vehicle weapons. The Avril is okay, and the Shock is the uber-everything weapon, but if UT2007 brings the Shock back into line we will probably need more options. Ultimately I'd like to see a mostly-UT99 style sniper rifle for DM/CTF and turn the lightning gun into a vehicle killer weapon. Reduce the base damage to 30, increase the damage done to vehicles to 150% of base, double the fire rate on the lightning gun, give a slight movement reduction to vehicles hit by it, and define "critical systems" on vehicles that would double the damage of a hit from the Lightning Gun...

8. DeathBooger

DeathBooger Malcolm's Sugar Daddy

I never understood the concept of sniper camping in a UT game, it's not a WWII sim.

9. f.sardis

f.sardis Member

when you play face with about 10 people on each side and its a ladder game you really need to play strategy. thats where the snipers come in.
    snipers can be very useful. its not a ww2 sim but its a futuristic sport and all sports require tactics.

10. Renegade Retard

Renegade Retard Defender of the newbie

What ladder on you playing on that has 10 people on each team?!?

11. gregori

gregori BUF Refugee

what the hell? If anything peoples biggest complaint about hte weapons in UT2k4 is that they looked like underpowered peeshooters!

If the lightning looked like:http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7819856102531162079&q=lightning&pl=true

I doubt there would be any complaints that it looked unbelievable, or overpowered!

12. f.sardis

f.sardis Member

if they gave such a hige effect for so little damage everyone would laugh.
    how can anyone survive a few gigawatts of power?

13. f.sardis

f.sardis Member

yea, when i throw lans we usually have 6 or 7 teams of about 5 people each and then there are some freelancers.
    we done play for money or anything. most of the time i throw the lan at my place. but yea sometimes it gets to about 10 on each side.
    in 99 face with 10 on each side was crammed with heads. now its a bit looser.

14. moonflyer

moonflyer New Member

it's not about camping, but headshot!:lol:
    it did made sense in ut99 to headshot alot with sniper
    but it's weird to headshot with lightinggun, right?:rolleyes:

15. Saverous

Saverous New Member

lightning gun must shoot like a bolt rifle in a StupidWeapons mutator :)
    try bolt rifle arena in open map - it's awesome!

16. -AEnubis-

-AEnubis- fps greater than star

The funny thing is, none of this matters.

Lightning Gun R.I.P

17. gregori

gregori BUF Refugee

I'll mod it back in just for spite!

18. Krazy K

Krazy K .....

So its official? The LG won't be in UT07?

19. neilthecellist

neilthecellist Renegade.

20. f.sardis

f.sardis Member

its not decided yet. we know so far that the sniper will be included but no news about the LG.