1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

SHOULD WE KEEP THE LIGHTNING GUN?

Discussion in 'Unreal Tournament 3' started by ->Sachiel<-, Feb 6, 2006.

?

Should Lightning Gun Stay?

1. YES!!!

126 vote(s)
    71.2%
  2. NO!

51 vote(s)
    28.8%
  1. Kharnellius

Kharnellius .

I was making the LtG like that since it made sense to have it do more dmg since its a bolt of lighting and it would also double as an antivehicle weapon. I dont see a sniper rifle being very effective against armor vehicles.

Have the Sniper fire that slow and we may as well call it counterstrike. Besides, it's not really that common to be sniping from super long distances so it needs to be able to able to compete in somewhat closer quarters hence the faster firing rate. Either way its still almost half as fast as the original UT99 sniper rifle.

2. gregori

gregori BUF Refugee

If you make the sniper that slow you'll get the destroyed by anyone with a Shock Rifle every time!

3. Kharnellius

Kharnellius .

My thoughts exactly...

4. nuttella

nuttella Scare

Not the best analogy, since UT was really a multiplayer expansion pack for Unreal. "Botpack" was added to the core classes, but most Unreal content remained, if unused as they made it a standalone game. You can still play Unreal singleplayer in UT once you add the maps. In a sense they are the same game.

5. -AEnubis-

-AEnubis- fps greater than star

Well, If your making weapons changes, you need to change more then 1. Drop the beam damage to like 20, or double the RoF, problem solved.

LtG doesn't need to be faster, because it shouldn't compete at the ranges mentioned. The point of how the weapons "were" balanced in this game, is that each weapon had a situation it was good in, and each weapon had a situation where it was useless in. Making the LtG hang in close quarters, means it's never useless. You can't really shoot rockets at a zoomed sniper, meaning flak is more useless, and goo is slightly worse, so the weapons in that case, aren't balanced.

LtG either needs a lowered RoF, or increased switch away time.

6. neilthecellist

neilthecellist Renegade.

Why not just create a set of mutators that suit the server creator's taste...

Like one that offers the lightning gun a fast RoF, but less damage. A second mutator could have a slow RoF, and thus more damage.

Or... Charge your lightning gun for a full blast = full damage, but if you hold for too long, it'll be like the Gauss Cannon from Half-Life 1. Repercussion effect = deadly suicide.

7. Kharnellius

Kharnellius .

Oh trust me I have a whole slew of changes I have made to every weapon except the minigun...which is mostly just fine for it's role. Most of them would be considered minor by your average gamer.....but I am an obsessive tester and over time you can tell the difference it makes. Especially when I go back and play a game with the changes turned off.

I have never made a mutator before but I have begun playing in Unreal Script mostly just trying to learn the massive amount of **** found in there......holy crap there is a lot of functions etc to keep track of!

Someday I hope to release my changes as a mod for others to try out. Though by that time 2k7 will probably be out. :p

Kharn

8. f.sardis

f.sardis Member

geez dude i wasnt talking about the engine. i was talking gameplay. thay are worlds apart in terms of weapons.

9. Dr._Jekyl

Dr._Jekyl Hyde...from Dr._Jekyl

In my opinion, the Lightning Gun is a much more advanced weapon then the Sniper Rifle. Not only does the Lightning Gun NOT blind you with smoke every time you fire, but it's more powerful, and actually doesn't require a direct hit to do damage. For those of you who DO like the puff of smoke, try finding it while the sniper is a few hundred feet above you in the tower, looking straight at your head. However, I do like the idea of a new weapon. But if I had to stick with one or the other, I would choose Lightning Gun over a Sniper Rifle any day.

10. Wail of Suicide

Wail of Suicide Member

I have also recently made some changes to the Lightning Gun trying to gear it more towards the Shock Rifle primary's role in ONS. Nearly halved the refire rate (.85), reduced the damage per shot by over half (30-33 damage). The weapon has a miniscule knockback effect (500 momentum). The main draw to this weapon is that it does 75% more damage to vehicles and has 10x the momentum against vehicles. This makes it a better anti-vehicle weapon than the Shock Rifle primary without making it quite as deadly as the Shock Rifle primary is against infantry.

11. Kharnellius

Kharnellius .

well my ideas was similar in that it was more antivehicle but I didnt go to that extreme. I took the other route and made it slower but more dmg.

Also I definitely fixed the assault rifle......what a POS it used to be. Now people at least think twice before passing off someone using it......especially when you have two.

I would also like to make minigun alt fire do more dmg to vehicles.....I think explosive rounds should be more damaging than normal rounds.

These are just a few of the things I tweaked.

Kharn

12. Krazy K

Krazy K .....

See thats what i'm talking about alien weapons. Most FPS have real life weapons. Thats what I was saying earlier I prefer the LG over the sniper rifle. But the LG is a sniper rifle. Just because it shoots lightning it has to be hitscan/splash damage? I'm going to be really upset if the LG isn't in UT07. I'll still buy it, but just wish they would of kept it. If they could make a good balance between the LG and the SR. Maybe make the LG: projectile/non hitscan/splash damage. Should recharge time be the same?

Anyway I think making it harder to use/aim would do wonders. Instead of making it stonger with more recharge time or weaker with less recharge time. ITS SUPPOSE TO BE A SNIPER! NOT A DIFFERENT FORM OF A SHOCK RIFLE. If you make the LG projectile and much much harder to use, BOOM, better game.

13. Wail of Suicide

Wail of Suicide Member

Yeah, the problem I have with really long recharge times is... Well, it's boring waiting for the thing to reload, and I'd prefer not to encourage what I consider the bad behavior of whipping the LtG out for a potshot and then switching back to another weapon. If you have a long reload rate then you need to increase the weaponswitch time, otherwise the Avg DPS of your weapon can theoretically be much higher (Say, for example, if you have an 80 dmg LtG shot with reload time of 2.0 seconds. This might lead to 40dps average, but if a skilled player takes a potshot at 80 damage, then swaps to the Shock Rifle while the LtG recharges you're looking more at 50-60dps. With a faster reload time on the LtG, if a player is switching weapons their DPS will actually decrease because the benefit to avoiding the reload time doesn't outweigh weapon switch time.)

I also feel like you need a decent rate of fire when you're going up against Mantas and Raptors, particularly the Mantas. One shot every two seconds does not cut it against such a fast and maneuverable vehicle.

Good point on the Minigun alt -- Definitely something that has been on my to-do list. Giving the thing a bit of knockback (maybe 5000-10000) would be nice against Mantas as well. I've always wanted to make that chaingun turret a real terror, rather than some weak plinker. Just one of many planned changes...

In any case, I don't really quite understand the sentiment here that wants to turn hitscan weapons into just really-fast projectiles. The real problem , in my opinion, is just getting maps that don't allow combat to take place at absurdly long ranges.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2006
  14. gregori

gregori BUF Refugee

:D Yep that would be the insane player map/scale again, plus the maps are too open, they have too many wide open empty spaces!

15. Kharnellius

Kharnellius .

Well actually that was what I was kinda doing....make it so you get one shot and hope you hit it then whip out the Shock or whatever and continue pounding on it......then after a bit maybe whip out the LtG again for another go. I dont think anyone would be switching every other shot though since that gets annoying real quick. I mostly use it once against a guy to weaken them quite a bit then switch over to something better for medium to close range.

See above.....also I use flak or link against em once they are close.

Yep.
    Agreed! Most of the weapons work great in smaller levels with tighter corners. Call it spam central but I dont really care that much......it's fun.

Many of the weapons lose effectiveness in ONS due to huge outdoor open levels. That is why I have sped up projectile speed on a bunch of them...especially the link.

Kharn

16. neilthecellist

neilthecellist Renegade.

Tracer rounds. Look at Rainbow Six 4: Lockdown and enjoy the failure of that game.

17. Kharnellius

Kharnellius .

I honestly don't really get what your point was.....or where that came from. What made you comment about tracer rounds?

18. neilthecellist

neilthecellist Renegade.

Because in R Six 4: Lockdown, bullets have a VERY long delay before they hit your target. I was thinking about the possibility of just leaving a longer tracer for the Sniper Rifle in UT2007 to give a more "balanced" feel in comparison to the loooong energy tracer that the Lightning Gun currently gives.

Hope that clears anything up.

19. Kharnellius

Kharnellius .

Ah ok....makes sense now. Yeah I was thinknig along those lines....make the tracer fire more noticeable and add a muzzle flash.

20. Dr._Jekyl

Dr._Jekyl Hyde...from Dr._Jekyl

Yeah, I don't like games where you actually have to lead your target to hit him...lol :lol: