Rate the Last Movie You Watched

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Manticore

Official BUF Angel of Death (also Birthdays)
Staff member
Nov 5, 2003
Optimum Trajectory-Circus of Values
Man on Fire-6.5/10

Decent enough revenge film in Tony Scott's inimitable style.

The Book of Eli-7/10

Great Fallout feel to this film.

It must be Denzel Washington week on TV here............

Sjosz

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Dec 31, 2003
Edmonton, AB
www.dregsld.com
Taken 2 5/10

Serviceable action flick, but the producer/director clearly had no idea what made the first Taken awesome. There is no fight choreography to speak of as everything is quick and choppy cuts to indicate some sort of speed, but it falls flat for me. The opening is a good setup for what's to come but then it just sort of happens without any real punches or exciting moments. Shame, I was really hoping Taken 2 would be a good follow-up.

Twisted Metal

Anfractuous Aluminum
Jul 28, 2001
Long Island, NY
This Friday is going to be awesome for movies.

Argo - Ben Affleck's third film and it's absolutely killing it on RottenTomatoes. I have full faith that this will be amazing.

Seven Psychopaths - A+ cast, writer and director of In Bruges. This is guaranteed to be spectacular.

Sinister - A horror film with near universal positive reviews? Why I never! Always fun to see a good horror around Halloween.

Hopefully my pre-reviews hold up.

Lruce Bee

Transcending to another level
May 3, 2001
Sherwood Forest
ATM - 5/10 - Trapped party-goers end up in a rather remote ATM booth, only to be stalked by a psychopathic serial killer - Interesting stuff with a cruel ending - reminded me of Duel for some reason.

Looper - 8/10 Very engrossing movie with a clever narrative.
Some great acting from Bruce Willis & particularly Josepth Gorden-Levitt help keep you glued to the screen.
However...
12 Monkeys is still the best time travel movie ever made

Capt.Toilet

Good news everyone!
Feb 16, 2004
Ottawa, KS
This Friday is going to be awesome for movies.

Argo - Ben Affleck's third film and it's absolutely killing it on RottenTomatoes. I have full faith that this will be amazing.

Seven Psychopaths - A+ cast, writer and director of In Bruges. This is guaranteed to be spectacular.

Sinister - A horror film with near universal positive reviews? Why I never! Always fun to see a good horror around Halloween.

Hopefully my pre-reviews hold up.

I am thinking of seeing Sinister. Granted it will probably have the predictable everyone dies ending only to have the next family stumble across ugly pants, but meh oh well.

IronMonkey

Moi?
Apr 23, 2005
Scotland
www.margrave.myzen.co.uk
Paranorman 6/10

A rather strange outing.

Absolutely the scariest PG-rated film I've ever seen but at the same time dragged down by an overwhelming sense of worthiness and mom and apple pie sentiment.

Often funny without being hilarious, for the most part I enjoyed the experience.

The kids rated it highly (which is what counts).

A Time To Kill

Depending on who you ask this is either an effective courtroom fiction or a militant, fascist mess. It's a little bit a both perhaps and the ending disagrees with me (having Samuel Jackson embrace his daughter as the score crescendos to the backdrop of the American Flag, ugh!).

Black Swan

Could also be retitled "everyone wants to bang Natalie Portman," kind of a wretched movie in a lot of ways. I'm not a fan of most of Aronofsky's movies, the only two that I actually like are Pi and the Wrestler (Requiem was a music video that was never as cool as its score and The Fountain was pretentious crap masquerading as thoughtful art). This one is done similarly to The Wrestler in a lot of ways and follows similar tragedies, but then goes bugshit. It's Kafka for people who don't understand Kafka. Aronofsky always gets good performances out of his actors...it's just the stories that need work. Watch Mullholland Drive instead, Lynch does this kinda thing better. You'll still probably feel a bit used by the end though.

Last edited:

Manticore

Staff member
Nov 5, 2003
Loopers-8/10

I went to see this at the cinema instead of waiting for it to come out on DVD mainly because of all the positive props it received in this thread. I wasn't disappointed.

This is one of those flicks for me that fits into the Frequency, Butterfly Effect, Cellular type of mould. It is a clever story that I know I will watch again and again although I know how it ends.

Also the vision of the near future is very believable (except possibly for the time travel bit but who knows?) and makes the whole plot seem way more plausible. Even Bruce Willis does a good job of ageing and balding in this one.

That and some great directing and camera work make for a good ninety minutes or so.......

Balton

The Beast of Worship
Mar 6, 2001
Berlin
Looper 9/10 from me too.

Genuinely original, and brilliant "Fuck!!!!!" ending.
It feels like an Indy film (like Moon and Monsters) and I think the trailers are trying to sell it to a mass market as an action/chase movie....which it's not.

I liked Brick a lot too, and it will be interesting to see where the director goes next.

I liked Moon alot but never heard of that Monsters film, care to elaborate?

Manticore

Staff member
Nov 5, 2003
I Am Number Four-3/10

Teen-angst crap about having superpowers. It's been done before, it's been done better. A story with no logic and very little plot.

Bad enough to make me want to go number two's.

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
Taken 2

Agreed with the last two reviewers and I have to give 6/10. It really could have been just as good as the first if it had better fight scenes and longer.

Twisted Metal

Anfractuous Aluminum
Jul 28, 2001
Long Island, NY
Argo - 9/10

It appears that Ben Affleck can do no wrong behind the camera. I'm not usually one for historical/political thrillers but the fact that this actually happened is truly fascinating. And it couldn't have been filmed in a more exciting fashion.

Even though I knew the outcome, the last 30 minutes or so was edge of your seat madness. I thought all actors involved were great, even Mr. Affleck himself. Cranston nailed his role as usual, Goodman was awesome, but the real standout here was Alan Arkin. He was hilarious!

At the end of the movie it shows some compare/contrast photos between the real people involved and the actors who played them, as well as photos of the real crisis and stills from the film. It is un-freakin-believable how close the movie looks to the real thing.

Ben Affleck is the real deal as a director. He's 3 for 3, and I greatly look forward to his next effort.

WedgeBob

XSI Mod Tool User
Nov 12, 2008
Cleveland, OH, USA
The Expendables 8.5/10

Seems like this one has all sorts of awesome action in it. Plus good actors as well, Sylvester Stallone, Jet Li, Jason Statham, Stone Cold Steve Austin, etc... Loads of shoot 'em ups, and blow 'em ups in this, too. Only downfall, well, seems like Chuck Norris wasn't in it, he would have made this movie all better. ;)

Twisted Metal

Anfractuous Aluminum
Jul 28, 2001
Long Island, NY
Seven Psychopaths - 8.5/10

Amazing! This is Tarantino-esque material. Unbelievable cast, ridiculous dialogue and situations, just extremely funny and enjoyable. It's not quite In Bruges but it's not supposed to be. Christopher Walken is at the top of his game here. I'll definitely be watching this one again.

Lruce Bee

Transcending to another level
May 3, 2001
Sherwood Forest
1408 - 2/10 John Cusack & Samuel L Jackson stoop to an all time low in this supposedly psychological horror movie based around a haunted room 1408 in some downtown hotel - avoid.

Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter - 3/10 Unconvincing yarn based around what the film title suggests - another one to avoid if possible.

Back to the Future 2 - 9/10 Absolutely superb family movie that really does stand the test of time, sitting proudly at the top of the pile as one of the all time greats.
We've all seen it and we all love it - very hard to level any criticism at this classic.

Tux Android

Voice Pack Penguin
May 19, 2011
Philippines
Ghost Rider (2007)
This movie (based on a comic book) is a very dismissal and I think I like the motorcycle thingy. Not a horror and incoherent action styles, even funny in few scenes though.
Grade: C

Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance (2012)
Ditto. More boring with gloomy scripting, dreaded action value, and spectacularly trash. Nicolas Cage is not perfect for the role in these two films, for your consideration.
Grace: D+

The Bourne Legacy (2012)
Jeremy Renner's performance was a perfect balanced, Tony Gilroy's direction and storyline might have good points, and the Manila chase at the last part is quite astonishing. I'm very nervous to watch this movie, filmed in my country for 20-30 minutes on demand (;)). The only thing is, not a continuation of the previous three Bourne movies with Matt Damon, closely enough from the book that was based on this film.
Grade: B

Last edited:

Manticore

Staff member
Nov 5, 2003
Watchmen-9/10

I never get tired of this film. Not only is it a great moral tale but it is totally epic. Also the selection of music in it is awesome. From the opening credits and "Times Are a Changin'" I know that I am in for a great story... no matter how many times I've seen it.

rorschach1.jpg

Last edited: