psst, news posted

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Vega-don

arreté pour detention de tomate prohibée
Mar 17, 2003
Paris suburbs
Visit site
beppo can we imagine playing on a system of missions Ala operation flashpoints?
for exemple the maps are mostly 3d environnements, and the missions are small files based on the maps. you can have many differents missions on the same map.

it depends of the side of the maps , and of the 3d engine

Beppo

Infiltration Lead-Programmer
Jul 29, 1999
Aachen, Germany
infiltration.sentrystudios.net
@don... yeah that was the basic idea I had too... even without knowing that OFP had such a system already.
These files will hold a bunch of infos and will allow different missions and even different equipment setups on the same map. So an 'old' map will be able to use new material that is introduced by an update easily for example or someone can setup a whole new mission using an existing map. Admins, Clans and Leagues can setup the stuff to their liking then too using these text files.

Vega-don

arreté pour detention de tomate prohibée
Mar 17, 2003
Paris suburbs
Visit site
Beppo said:
@don... yeah that was the basic idea I had too... even without knowing that OFP had such a system already.
These files will hold a bunch of infos and will allow different missions and even different equipment setups on the same map. So an 'old' map will be able to use new material that is introduced by an update easily for example or someone can setup a whole new mission using an existing map. Admins, Clans and Leagues can setup the stuff to their liking then too using these text files.

yeah thats a good system,but not very flexible.I hope you can make it work for the next inf. you must have pretty big maps for that system so the missions wont always turn around the same things. and must have a detailled ingame briefing menu, and maybe a prebriefing time with a "ready button" (and a maximum time so that the server isnt blocked because someone is afk or never ready).

})FA|Snake

Aug 5, 2000
Visit site
Half-life 2 is by far the most flexible engine, has the biggest community, the most longevity, and on the upswing. I can't really see what could possibly be a better choice, and I'm getting pretty sick of the latest snob trend that is bashing steam and valve. Everytime I hear it I think of the penny-arcade cartoon about people who spell microsoft m$.

Ut2k4 has the same issues as UT, is very system taxing, and has a community that already seems to be in decline. Red Orchestra has dominated the field because it seems with a few exceptions, and there seems to be a prevailing attitude that with the MSU contest ended that we've seen the peak of the modding community.

OICW

Reason & Logic > Religion
I used Steam for the first time about three months after it was released and I thoroughly hated the damn thing since it crashed frequently and downloaded updates for games that I specifically checked "Do not update". Not to mention it sucked up over a third of my monthly bandwidth in one day. I stopped using it shortly afterwards

I got HL2 for Christmas and tried Steam again and although it's not perfect, it's considerably better than before. I haven't had any crashes with it and it seems to be less of a resource hog. I must admit I'm a bit concerned as I forgot my old Steam login and I can't recover it and that had HL1 and a few mods on it. I don't honestly know whether I could transfer HL1, which I bought back in 1998, to my account without any concerns or not.

The only thing is, the Inf team would face stiff competition from the Insurgency mod, especially from the community who would dismiss Inf as a Insurgency ripoff.

Hadmar

Queen Bitch of the Universe
Jan 29, 2001
Nerdpole
Snake13 said:
[...] and I'm getting pretty sick of the latest snob trend that is bashing steam and valve. Everytime I hear it I think of the penny-arcade cartoon about people who spell microsoft m$.
We tryed the best we could but the whole Secret Snobby Snobs of Snobland De-snob-luxe Society couldn't come up with a way to fit a $ or a § sign in the name Valve. We realy tryed but it didn't work out and lame makeshift solutions like enveloping the name in $ signs is not good and snobbish enough for the high-grade snobs we are. :(

Anyway, I have to attend to snobbisher things then posting here.

With a snobbish "Pff" yours

Hadmar of Snobs, the third Snob of Snobland, keeper of the holy sword Snobglamour, saver of the three Snobstones, holy icon of Snobchurch, ... [shortened due to snobbish space limitations]

Last edited:

Beppo

Infiltration Lead-Programmer
Jul 29, 1999
Aachen, Germany
infiltration.sentrystudios.net
OICW said:
... The only thing is, the Inf team would face stiff competition from the Insurgency mod, especially from the community who would dismiss Inf as a Insurgency ripoff.
Some always say that one title is a ripoff of another. You cannot do anything against this. Just think about CS and INF with INF being the older one of the two and it always being compared with CS as a wannabe clone of it... and we all know that INF has not much to do with CS at all.
I just checked out the Insurgency pages and have to say that we only share some basic features but the way they describe their stuff seems to aim into a pretty different direction. Sure, only time will tell if the two will differ a lot, but from reading their stuff I can say that our design is way different from theirs if you take realistic movement, iron sights and team play out of the comparison.

Apr 21, 2003
Europe
OICW said:
The only thing is, the Inf team would face stiff competition from the Insurgency mod, especially from the community who would dismiss Inf as a Insurgency ripoff.
Thats kinda what I thought about it too. Two similar games on the same engine. I´m on the Insurgency forums too (well not in last time), but as beppo said, no matter how you say both are military MP games, they will differ as white from black.
Most of the guys there are from the RO mod, thats why I have no single doubt, that INS will have the mosr awesone weapon models (models at all) and awesome texturing (hope INF will have same qualitiy :( ).
But I know RO and how it was spelled as very realistic, but what I found out? Just another semirealistic_weapon freezed on the right side_unflexible ironsight in the center_pistol on the right side_thing. It makes me puke and I doubt INS will change that 'law' of game stupidy (as I use to call it :D).

SS is the most flexible and creative team, if it is about to simulate realism and I hope they wipe out everything was less good in INF2.9 (and include my lowready stuff :D... just a bad joke :D).

Beppo said:
I can say that our design is way different from theirs if you take realistic movement, iron sights and team play out of the comparison.
I would wish to include exactly this to comparisation (and seeing INF winning) ;) :D :p.

By the Way, CS is a hardcore rip off from Rainbow Six. INF is standalonity in person, at least it is a ripoff of reality (a bit exeggerated, but not to wrong).

By the Way 2, Steam drives me to install my newest Real Snob mutator v56,666 (Rsv56,666).

Last edited:

Burger

Lookin' down the iron-sights...
Aug 9, 2004
Brisbane, Australia
Zeep (From SS News page) said:
hope you guys make an amazing game *cough* this year!

I know that UT2K4 / HL2 are bigger engines than UT99, but from first conception, how long did a working version of INF take?

And Geo, can you find out how long Red Orchestra took?

keihaswarrior

Jan 7, 2003
Seattle
keihaswarrior.home.icq
RO started a LONG time ago. The first release was on UT2k3, but the conception started with Medal of Honor or even earlier.

-Oh and insurgency looks very promising. [rant]I just hope they don't rely on conefire. I want sway and muscle tremor damit not conefire! [/rant]

Last edited:

erehwoN

The Bass Ackwards BTL
May 30, 2001
Wyoming, USA
Visit site
For now, we're staying, but eventually a move will be made. I think BU will keep these up for the Unreal releases, but I'm not positive on that.

Edit: Yeah, here's what BU just posted:
BeyondUnreal will continue to support the last Unreal-engine version, via the Infiltration forums and hosting of RealMaps, so long as there is activity and interest. The new HL2-version of Infiltration will have new forums that the Inf team will host locally.

Last edited: