Need help with static meshes

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

afecelis

Oct 17, 2003
Colombia
Visit site
Hey Spooger, and everybody!!!!

It's been a long time!

I'm glad the forum kept on going and more people are joining.

That gallery map kicks ass!

I got to update my folder with some new stuff we've been working on.

Just watched the Geforce 6800 NV40 Unreal 3 tech presentation and man!!!! wow wow wow.

get it here before they erase it:
http://www.jamesbambury.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/unreal3_0002.wmv

see you guys around to see how things are

cheers!

afecelis

Oct 17, 2003
Colombia
Visit site
BTW, that gallery map Is a great example of old-fashioned bsp level editing!!!!

The first time I ran it I thought I was going to see green meshes all around the editor, but what a surprise to open it and see that 90% of it is made of added and subtracted brushes.

great example

Spooge

Digital Content Creator
Jul 9, 2000
TN -USA
www.planetunreal.com
Welcome Mayaboy! Only good people here, lots of help.

afecelis, yes it's all older BSP brushes as it's a port from the UT days. We are looking to update it with more static meshes while retaining the base of BSP brushes.

Hey Islington! Think it would be a biatch to convert the Underground? And do a SM Pack for the Decos from that map? Just a thought, no one played it much in the mods as it was released so late. Let me know what you think.

Mayaboy

Mayaboy
May 30, 2004
www.mesoamerican-archives.com
Hey guys, I know this is off-topic, but I'm having a wierd problem and you all seem to know your stuff...

As I said earlier, most of my map is "simple" additive and subtractive brushwork.

I'm not sure what's causing it, but when I make certain changes to my map, then rebuild, a section of my map becomes transparent - like a strip of void slicing my map if I stand a look in a particular direction. If I look in the opposite direction, the void dissappears and my architecture is solid again. Is there a common cause for this? Am I doing something wrong?

Mayaboy

Mayaboy
May 30, 2004
Islington said:
Hi Mayaboy, you are welcome to use the vegetation in this pack.
http://www.danielpatton.com/runtime/RuntimeTrees/RT_Trees.zip

I am unsure if the types of trees in that zip are suitable for you location. I have some models of more exotic flora I did a while back I could dig out for you if you need them.

Or if you have links to pictures of the vegetation near the site I may me able model them for you.

Thanks so much, Islington, for those static meshes. I'll definitely use some of them. But, you are right, the flora around my archaeological site is very different than most standard northern forests. I made a list of some of the plants I would love to be able to add to my map. If you have ever made one, or know of where I could find one, or even have the amazing generosity to make them from scratch, I'd be extremely grateful.

http://home.comcast.net/~drhixson/flora4pakbeh.html

-MB

Islington

Sidekick
Jun 27, 2000
There are some funky trees at your site. I think I have a couple of old palm and cacti models that may be close to what you need, I will dig them out and check.
I will model at least some of the others on that page, if you want them all in one usx file let me know and I will include the RT-Trees ones you need.

Mayaboy

Mayaboy
May 30, 2004
Awesome, Islington! I'm actually taking off to the Yucatan for another season of excavations next week. So, unless you feel like getting them to me within the week, don't worry about getting them to me any time soon. Seriously, no rush. But I'll be checking my email every now and then when I go into the nearest village with a cybercafe, so if you have any questions, or would like a digital image of anything while I'm there, just let me know.

Any way you want to package the files would be fine with me, as long as they can be imported to runtime. I trust your infinitely greater knowledge on that.

THANKS A WHOLE BUNCH!!

Wouter78

ADT user
Jul 12, 2004
Netherlands
Using an ADT model for static mesh input

Hello group,

Im am modelling buildings and structures in ADT 2004 (Architectural DeskTop) 2004, and was trying to convert my moddel for use in unreal.

I have little experience in using the unreal- editor and was hoping to get tip's on how to proceed.

Mostly we moddel in ADT and use VIZ or MAX6 to create still's of our project.

To show u the size and complexity of the project i added a quick rendering of the overview of the simplified model and a few renderings of a more detailed model.

What do you think is the best way to get all this CAD info into unreal?

Thanx for all your comments.

Regards, Wouter

Attachments

• screenshot.jpg
    screenshot.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 40
  • 0001 klein.jpg
    0001 klein.jpg
    210.7 KB · Views: 45
  • 0004 klein.jpg
    0004 klein.jpg
    165.2 KB · Views: 43
  • 0005 klein.jpg
    0005 klein.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 35

Spooge

Digital Content Creator
Jul 9, 2000
TN -USA
www.planetunreal.com
Wouter78 said:
Hello group,

Im am modelling buildings and structures in ADT 2004 (Architectural DeskTop) 2004, and was trying to convert my moddel for use in unreal.

I have little experience in using the unreal- editor and was hoping to get tip's on how to proceed.

Mostly we moddel in ADT and use VIZ or MAX6 to create still's of our project.

To show u the size and complexity of the project i added a quick rendering of the overview of the simplified model and a few renderings of a more detailed model.

What do you think is the best way to get all this CAD info into unreal?

Thanx for all your comments.

Regards, Wouter

Been there done that, I believe I have just what you are looking for. :)
Check your PM or Email

Wouter78

ADT user
Jul 12, 2004
Netherlands
Converting to ASE

Hello Group,

When i have my model loaded totally in VIZ 2005, textured and all i need to export to ASE for import. Loading everything at once is a no-go. Then i have an ASE file of appox. 80 Megs, and unrealed will crash.

Does anyone of you have or knows how to create a script that will combine objectes of the same type (from the selection list) in one SELECTION, and export that selection to a ASE file. And repeat this until the entire list of objects has been processed.

This wil save me (and possibly others ;) ) a huge amount of time as i have hundereds of objects to export.

Thanx for any help you can offer

W.

UnrealProjects

"Your Hired!"
Apr 10, 2004
www.lawdogs-mod.com
Wouter78 said:
Hello Group,

When i have my model loaded totally in VIZ 2005, textured and all i need to export to ASE for import. Loading everything at once is a no-go. Then i have an ASE file of appox. 80 Megs, and unrealed will crash.

Does anyone of you have or knows how to create a script that will combine objectes of the same type (from the selection list) in one SELECTION, and export that selection to a ASE file. And repeat this until the entire list of objects has been processed.

This wil save me (and possibly others ;) ) a huge amount of time as i have hundereds of objects to export.

Thanx for any help you can offer

Have you read this? http://www.danielpatton.com/afecelis/AutodeskToUnreal.pdf

A handy tool that can probably do that is www.unwrap3d.com .......it imports many formats and exports ASE with muilti-subObject materials and can collapse all the parts or not.........even supports many texture formats including DDS from UnrealEngine........UnrealEngine friendly......;)

W.

Spooger

Dec 16, 2003
Wouter78,

80MB's sounds like a LARGE export/import. Regardless of what you are doing you should still consider breaking up the map into pieces and exporting/importing that way. One large chunck is never a good idea.

Let us know how it works out for you.

Spooger

Wouter78

ADT user
Jul 12, 2004
Netherlands
I think i was not clear on what i want to do (reading spoogers reply). I know that it's a verry bad idea to export/import everything at once, hence the question if someone know's of a MAX script to export every object (or group of the same objects) from the list (see attach) to a different ASE file.

If i can automate this process it would save me a huge amount of time because i have a lot of object's to export...

Attachments

• select.JPG
    select.JPG
    198.6 KB · Views: 20

UnrealProjects

"Your Hired!"
Apr 10, 2004
www.lawdogs-mod.com
Wouter78 said:
I think i was not clear on what i want to do (reading spoogers reply). I know that it's a verry bad idea to export/import everything at once, hence the question if someone know's of a MAX script to export every object (or group of the same objects) from the list (see attach) to a different ASE file.

If i can automate this process it would save me a huge amount of time because i have a lot of object's to export...

My goodness, that's massive headache!........have you tried lokking for a script here? http://www.scriptspot.com/start.htm

Spooger

Dec 16, 2003
Ahhh...

Now I got it Wouter78. Sorry, I don't know of anything that can handle a process like that. :(

Although... it does not sound like it would be that hard of a script to create, you would think most anyone with basic scripting experience could do it. I'm no good for it, but the MAX community is a large one, let us know if you find a taker.

Peace

Spooger