Need help with static meshes

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Delphi

Aug 30, 2004
Hello All,

I've just read this thread from start to finish. Very interesting reading. I wish I'd read it about four months ago. I'm part of a group from the University of South Australia that is looking into next gen games and architecture.
Specifically we're making a mod of UT2k4 that allows you to walk around without guns and play puzzle-based style rather than shoot-em-up. All rather civilized really.

At the moment we're in the process of modelling up one of the campuses of our uni, and have encountered just about every issue faced and solved on this thread...

Can someone explain the difference between using the runtime and using the game (UT2k4)?

Also is there a nice easy way to get that ScalePawn thing happening in a mod rather than the runtime. At the moment the avatar is about the size of a small child...

Cheers for all your previous work, it's been good viewing!

UnrealProjects

"Your Hired!"
Apr 10, 2004
www.lawdogs-mod.com
Delphi said:
Hello All,

I've just read this thread from start to finish. Very interesting reading. I wish I'd read it about four months ago. I'm part of a group from the University of South Australia that is looking into next gen games and architecture.
Specifically we're making a mod of UT2k4 that allows you to walk around without guns and play puzzle-based style rather than shoot-em-up. All rather civilized really.

At the moment we're in the process of modelling up one of the campuses of our uni, and have encountered just about every issue faced and solved on this thread...

Can someone explain the difference between using the runtime and using the game (UT2k4)?

Also is there a nice easy way to get that ScalePawn thing happening in a mod rather than the runtime. At the moment the avatar is about the size of a small child...

Cheers for all your previous work, it's been good viewing!

Hello and welcome Delphi,

glad to see another fan of architectural visualization stop by.......and can't believe you actually read this whole thread!..wow!.....

Anyway, to put it simple UnrealRuntime2 is a stripped down version of UnrealTournament 2003/2004..........which you can download for free for non-commercial purpose nor for games.......it's targeted for Visualization projects. Sadly you can't share resources between UnrealRuntime and UT2004 because the license does not allow it......you'll have to create or find free resources to use for UnrealRuntime.....but that's not a problem because there's plenty of free resources supporting this platform.....all over the net.

Wouter78

ADT user
Jul 12, 2004
Netherlands
Welcome Delphi,

Can i ask what kind of software you are using to model your campuses?

UnrealProjects,
Sadly, i still can't export everything to ASE.

I could send you the complete model (zipped it's about 25 MB), but i don't know where to put it (i don't have that amount of web-space)...

Did you use the script to create selection-sets in the model i send you?

Maybe the problem is with the ACE object that are used with ADT2004... but then again, that's where the Filelink manager is for... *sigh*

Delphi

Aug 30, 2004
I'm mostly the coder of the group. However we've been lucky enough to get a rough 3D Max model of most of the buildings. In 3D Max you can use the Export to save out sections as .ASE. It works a treat as long as you don't have any groups, the editor has kittens if you do.

UnrealProjects

"Your Hired!"
Apr 10, 2004
www.lawdogs-mod.com
Wouter78 said:
Welcome Delphi,
UnrealProjects,
Sadly, i still can't export everything to ASE.

Would you make the switch to 3dsMax for all of your designing?

I could send you the complete model (zipped it's about 25 MB), but i don't know where to put it (i don't have that amount of web-space)...

I have a private ftp you can send it to...........what emal can I use to send you login info?

Did you use the script to create selection-sets in the model i send you?

No I didn't, all I did was a quick export to ASE test ......I aslo assigned a TGA before exporting......plus I attached all the parts....

Maybe the problem is with the ACE object that are used with ADT2004... but then again, that's where the Filelink manager is for... *sigh*

Not sure, but I can tell you that the model segments are quite hefty......they're not optimized.........alot of hidden polys and un-needed segments.......does ADT2004 have an optimizatiin feature? Prolly a 3d translator might help..something like Deep Exploration or Okino's.....

Btw, checkout this video on 3dsMax7

http://mtlstream02.discreet.com/streaming/qt/first_person_camera_300k.mov

Look at more videos here......

http://www4.discreet.com/3dsmax/3dsmax.php?id=870#

You see, who says you can't do architecture with 3dsMax?.... :)

Last edited:

Wouter78

ADT user
Jul 12, 2004
Netherlands
The main problem i have with MAX6 is that we would like to update the model as it's beiing developed. Therefore we have VIZ2005 with the filelink manager. MAX6 doesn't have this (by default). To awnser your question, no we are not planning to switch from ADT to MAX for modelling. ADT has far to many benefits for creating hardcopy output and link's to other programs.

But as far as i can see VIZ2005 can do the same things as MAX6 (all the needed commands/tools for converting are present). Even plug-ins created for MAX6 work with VIZ2005

Is it absolutely necessary to attach part's to 1 object??? If so i have a problem as it will take a huge amount of time to go trough the entire model.

You can e-mail me at w.b.bleumink@msn.com

I am not familliar with Deep Exploration or Okino's... i will explore this option

Any idea if the next unreal engine (3) will have a more friendly import feature?

Thanx for your help..

Last edited:

UnrealProjects

"Your Hired!"
Apr 10, 2004
www.lawdogs-mod.com
Wouter78 said:
The main problem i have with MAX6 is that we would like to update the model as it's beiing developed. Therefore we have VIZ2005 with the filelink manager. MAX6 doesn't have this (by default). To awnser your question, no we are not planning to switch from ADT to MAX for modelling. ADT has far to many benefits for creating hardcopy output and link's to other programs.

Have you read about the File Link Extension at,,,,,,,
http://www4.discreet.com/subscription/subscription.php?id=432#file

But as far as i can see VIZ2005 can do the same things as MAX6 (all the needed commands/tools for converting are present). Even plug-ins created for MAX6 work with VIZ2005

Is it absolutely necessary to attach part's to 1 object??? If so i have a problem as it will take a huge amount of time to go trough the entire model.

As far as I know yes, that's what I learned when exporting from Max to UnrealEngine........but first you need to create material IDs' and assign the textures as multisub objects...........

You can e-mail me at w.b.bleumink@msn.com

I get error message back,."Mailbox Unavailable"

I am not familliar with Deep Exploration or Okino's... i will explore this option

Those are the best 3d translators that might solve some of the issues your having...........probably another alternative is the Undying plugin tool for 3dsMax.........what it does is import/export level geometry (T3D) between UED and Max.......maybe it will work great for you.........
http://www.fileplanet.com/dl.aspx?/3dactionplanet/undying/undying_t3d_tool.zip

Another option is to try exporting as LightWave format as UED supports it.....there's some lightwave plugin for 3dsMax somewhere on the new......

Any idea if the next unreal engine (3) will have a more friendly import feature?

Most likely yes, based on the demo I saw but again........they still use optimized models using normal maps for detail..........

Thanx for your help..

Last edited:

Wouter78

ADT user
Jul 12, 2004
Netherlands
Yes, i know of this extention.... but i don't have MAX officially....

I will try to use this T3D exporter... but i don't have a gamespy account.. i'l look elswhere for the file.

sorry, my adress is w_b_bleumink@msn.com... my bad..

Thanx again

PainFULLCreation

Talentless & tortured artist
Jul 7, 2005
I'm a bit confused...

So you guys are actually using SpeedTree RT? I've read through the thread and I still can't figure out exactly how. But I'd sure like to know...

Last edited: