1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Need help with static meshes

Discussion in 'Level Design, Skinning and Modelling' started by afecelis, Feb 15, 2004.

1. Wouter78

Wouter78 ADT user

Thanks UnrealProjects,

I tried scriptspot, and i found a script that put all object wich have the same texture in one selection set. This reduces the number of exports greatly, but i would like to automate the rest of the export process also (exporting each selection-set to an ASE file)

I have some knowledge of programming in VB, but it does not match the scripting language close enough to create a good script.

I will explore other options and get back to you..

2. Wouter78

Wouter78 ADT user

Hello group,

I have been attempting to import ASE files into UnReal, but some ASE file seem to have only the materials in them, not any geometry.
    As a result i get an error in UnRealED (Bad Karma) and it imports nothing.

I feel the problem is within VIZ (before exporting to ASE). Does anyone of you know of a solution to this problem?

I tried converting everything to editable meshes, but it had no result.

TIA

Wouter78

3. UnrealProjects

UnrealProjects "Your Hired!"

Did you use 3dsMax to export your ASE models? Try VIZ=>3dsMax=>Unreal.......be sure you have a texture assigned to it and not a material......if you don't have 3dsMax, Unwrap3d can do the job to...it imports many 3d formats and can export ASE .....

4. Wouter78

Wouter78 ADT user

I am using AutoDESK VIZ 2005 to export models. Most of the time it goed without any problems, but now and then there is no geometry included in the ASE files.

I will try the MAX option...

Thanx.. and have a nice weekend

5. Wouter78

Wouter78 ADT user

Well, i have tried to open the file i created in VIZ 2005 in MAX 6, but when i export i seem to have the same problem as when exporting from VIZ 2005.

It almost seem like VIZ/MAX only exports Xref's/block's and objects directly created in VIZ/MAX to ASE file's.

Has anyone had this 'problem' before?

6. UnrealProjects

Can you send me a copy of the model your trying to export? I will try it on my system and see what results I get ........

7. Wouter78

Wouter78 ADT user

Here is part of the moddel. the complete model is far to large to post here (approx. 100 MB), but this section has the same 'problem'.

I included a script that i found on scriptspot.com. It creates selection-sets based on objects that have the same material. I found this verry usefull for speeding up the export to ASE process.

There are no textures included, but i don't think that is going to be a problem.

Thanx in advance for your help!

WB

Attached Files:

8. UnrealProjects

Alrighty, I will try it out on my end and report back to you asap

9. UnrealProjects

Well, I was able to import it to UED, all I did was use Turn to Poly with a setting of 3..........then assigned a TGA sample texture to it and then export as ASE from Max.........I'm not sure how fast your PC is but mine was on the drag.........

:D

10. Wouter78

Wouter78 ADT user

Hey, that's great!!

eeuhmm.. can you specify the exact command to isued on the model (i can't seem to find it here in VIZ2005, but then again, it's pretty early over here...)

thanx again for your effort!!

11. Wouter78

Wouter78 ADT user

BTW,

could you send me back the ASE files you created?

TIA

WB

12. UnrealProjects

I'm not sure if VIZ2005 supports this but I did it with 3dsMax..........there's certain steps you need to do to the model before exporting as ASE for use in UED.........I see that you have a massive file size there.....it would be feasible that you optimize it in 3dsMax because it's way to large for UED.......also, it must be imported as sections but really cutting the number of segments the model uses is a must........Please read this page for more information.......http://www.planetunreal.com/fordy/gradientssmeshtutorials/1.html

13. Wouter78

Wouter78 ADT user

i'll try that tonight...

thanx

14. Wouter78

Wouter78 ADT user

I tried the steps in the 'manual' you pointed out to me, but to no succes.

Here are the steps i make to export:
    1. Open MAX file
    2. Let MAX-script create selection-sets based on materials (included in previous post)
    3. Select object's in 1 selection-set
    4a. Turn to poly (polygon size = 3)
    4b. Turn to editable mesh
    5. Export selected to ASE

With every method of the above i got an ASE that only has material-defenitions in it. The geomitry section is not present... see attached ZIP file. The file contains several ASE file that should contain internal wall's, part of the construction etc.

Attached Files:

15. UnrealProjects

- On number 2, did you assign TGA materials/textures?
    - On number 4b, you don't need to turn to editable mesh........only use Turn
    to Poly.

Note: You probably need to use multi/sub object materials and collapse the stack before exporting..........but before doing this try assigning TGA textures to your selections and don't use editbale mesh........only use Turn to Poly.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2004
  16. Wouter78

Wouter78 ADT user

i used textures that where in JPG/BMP format.

but that does not seem to be a problem is some cases. It seems more like the nested Xref's embedded in the ADT drawing are represented in VIZ/MAX as a block. Then when i apply a multi-sub to that block and export it there are no problems.

Geometry that is drawn directly in the linked ADT file won't export. These objects do not have multi-sub material's on them, but modified 'standard' materials. These are set bearing the limits in mind that are mentioned in the ADTtoUnreal document by Spooger.

When i try to export a selection-set of elements (e.g. all columns or beams) they won't export.
    I tried to export a combined model (all element's attached in one MAx file) and this seems to work better. There is a lot more geometry in this ASE file (about 100 Megs in 1 ASE file) then there is in all the seperate ASE files (split by selection-sets based on material defenitiions) together (about 37 Megs)

I tried the previous posted action both in MAX6 and VIZ2005, but to no result.

Should the convert to poly action be applied to each seperate selection-set or on the total moddel?

Thanx for your help sofar.

WB

17. UnrealProjects

18. Wouter78

Wouter78 ADT user

Thanx, but i don't understand the 'collapse stack' option you are talking about. Could you clarrify this for me?

WB

19. UnrealProjects

20. Wouter78

Wouter78 ADT user

Thanx!!!

i'll give it a go and get back to you...