If you're having problems loading INF 2.86 on a Mac...

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

PorterINF

Apr 10, 2001
Visit site
When I was trying to get INF to run I had put a previous full install in the trash. The Mac Launcher from a new install searched out the previous UT program and lauched it from the trash! They weren't even close to being in the same folder. I have never heard of any program opening in the Trash on a Mac. If you would like a detailed install of how I got INF running perfectly PM your email address.

In my process of reinstalling about 10 times I also ran into the windrv error. This happened when I had one folder of just UT and copied it and installed INF with the 2.86 Launcher in another. The Launcher started the original UT program in the just UT folder and gave me the "windrv" error. Since there were no INF files present I concluded that people that get the error are missing some INF files, or they are in the wrong place.

Last edited:

FyreFly

Jan 27, 2001
NY
www.oswego.edu
WinDrv Error on a Mac

I've had the " Cannot find Package 'WinDrv' " error plenty of times when reinstalling INF or UT.

The error comes from the file Infiltration.ini which is located in the directory: /Unreal Tournament/System/

Open up the file and scroll down to the [Engine.Engine] section. Look for the line that reads: ViewportManager=WinDrv.WindowsClient
Then change it to read: ViewportManager=MacDrv.MacClient

That will stop the WinDrv error. I've used this fix every time I've run into this problem, so if a peecee person wants to disagree with this fix, I'd love to see them fix this problem!

Fyre...

MrtnGuitar

Maybe you go boom?
Oct 19, 2000
famas?

i could have sworn there's a famas in 286, i sure as hell don't have one, it's not even in the famas loadout

Alpha_9

Infiltration lead level designer
Jun 1, 2000
Washington State
As odd as it may seem, Jackal, what FyreFly wrote is exactly what I have in my INF.ini file as well. That's how it comes in the Mac launcher folder. So anyone who's having this problem, do that simple edit in the ini file & that will fix it.

As for the "UT is not an application error", I'm totally stumped by that one. Never seen it myself, but I have heard of others mentioning it too. If it's an extensions conflict, it's going to be a bitch to find... :hmm:

[BOT]Devil

Aug 29, 2001
Germany
www.bad-old-terrorists.de
still problems......damned

okay.......by the time i've tried several ways to get INF to run.....no one worked....+

first try: used the manual files and the launcher, placed all files where they should be.
error msg: "Unreal Tournament is not an application" *damned*

second try: a complete new installed UT and used the manual installer, again as described in the manual!
error msg: "UT is not an application" *argh*

third try: downloaded the Mac installer, unstuffed it, opened it......
error msg: "This Installer has expired" *WHAT THE ****?!?!?!?!?!*

ky, i see i have really senseless problems..........
maybe the INF team may go step-by-step through the setup program and restart developing it from the beginning ;)

whatever, a solution is wanted :D

dev

Khral

Jun 27, 2001
Hehe, a friend of mine had this exact same problem just this morning. It appears the installer is set on a date to expire TODAY. Not sure if it's true for all folks. Simple solution though... just set your computer's date back a day or two and the installer should work.

Rabid-pitbull

Oct 13, 2000
many probs..

First let me explain process I went through to get this working at all.

I triedinstalling 2.86 on a fresh copy of ut 4.36 with the mac inf instsaller, and inf launcher files. I only got ut to launch with the launcher....

so I read in another thread here that you should install inf 2.85 and all patches and then use the mac 2.86 installer to load only the core files(top selectin of custom intall choices). I di this, and have a few problems running game.

I can play offline and online, but like MrtnGuitar I also cannot find famas in available weapons, or in the famas default loadout.... it is there, but it isn't listed. I can use the famas in this stock loadout only. Not huge big deal....

Second problem is the use key. I have seen it on other threads, I can use the console to set it, but only to certain keys, and not to the game pad button I would like to assign it too...

Third problem has to do with talking...or should i say typeing. I press t... then type what i want to say, and then press return... all that is displayed is my name with no text next to it. If I press the tilde key to show all conversation my text is displayed there. Also when others type in text some do and some dont have messages displayed by thier names. All messages are displayed if I hit tilde though.

Ok now if anyof this has been discussed sorry i didnt see a listing of it on the boards, so thought I should contribute the info.

I am sure a Manual install would probably work as it has for others, but honestly after several hours of trying to get this to work the "easy" way I am a little spent....

:cool:

Solitare

Aug 28, 2001
Visit site
UT not an application

About the 'UT not an application' error, I posted a fix for that in a previous thread. Here it is again:

***DISCLAIMER: I dont know that much about resedit, so make sure you know what your doing if you follow these directions***

Ok, after many hours of banging my head trying to get the new INF launcher to work, I made a breakthrough. I opened up the launcher using res edit and poked around for a while. Looking under the resource 'scpt ID 128' I found (amidst a bunch of gibberish) what looked like a path that SHOULD lead to Unreal Tournement. The line read:

¥IMacintosh 9.1:Applications (MacOS 9):Unreal Tournement:Unreal Tournement

This is not where UT is actually located. It is located on another hard drive, with the path:

Maxtor:Unreal Tournement:Unreal Tournement

I decided to copy my unreal tourny folder to the path listed in the res edit resource. I crossed my fingers and launched INF. It worked w/o a problem. I then decided to go back and edit the scpt resource and change it to the Maxtor path. That worked too. So my guess is that it tried to auto detect the dir that has UT and failed. Maybe the INF dev team could fix this or release the script code so that the community can fix it.

Good luck.

Jackal<QSF>

One of the last INF OG's!!!
Jul 13, 2000
www.angelfire.com
ok this is what i gather to be the best way to have INF run espeshaly on a MAC

Install UT install the patch

Install all the versions of INF 2.85

Install the old INF mac launcher (the one with the Ini files for the graxic cards)

Install the new verion of the INF launcher(the one with the new icon)

Install the MANUAL install for INF 2.86

Install the manual Map pack(the new one)

Install the new INF mac laucher

Make shure you dubble the memory of UT (comand I on the UT icon select meomoy in the drop down menu)

and that should do it.

If you need the OLD INF luncher tell me and ill put it on here.

Rabid-pitbull

Oct 13, 2000
oh yeah...

Dont forget to sacrafice 3 chickens and dance in a circle...

This is a little too ridiculous... Why is it this difficult??? I mean there are mac beta tester right?? Yes... how in the world could there be so many difficulties installing on the mac? I mean there are relativly few possible configurations of hardware , and os that run ut compared to PC machines. Why so many problems??? They have been beta testing for a long time.

Listen guys dont take this the wrong way, I know it is damn hard to troubleshoot and create this mod, but it always seems like the mac and linux users have infinetly more problems installing this mod. It seems like only the pc versions ever get tested well.

Good luck all I think this ends my Inf career.... which goes back to the days of unreal.....

:mad:

Jackal<QSF>

Jul 13, 2000
www.angelfire.com
oww poor pitbull

Im from Unreal INF as well and i get a ton of problems with it

but i can fix them

im telling you how to fix it

If you choose not to fix it and be lazy and give up on the best realitic game ever made then thats your problem

Jackal<QSF>

Jul 13, 2000
www.angelfire.com
sorry dude i realy cant re-write code that i have no clue on what it will do

I dont even know what sorce code it is from

but i do know that code tells where the bots where they should go, and programs there AI it prob heandels there waypoints as welll but that usaly in the maps.

my sugestion is to replace your system folders in INF and UT

dont trade the foders just take out the contents and relace them into the old folders if that doeisnt work then i dont know what will.

Does it happen on all games you make or just on certan maps?

Try switching the bots around

BTW I have never heard of this problem before. So i have no real clue on how to fix it but im shure we can break down the problem and fix it

peep

peep==class
Jul 13, 2001
Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
I got back from my vacation this morning & went straight to the computer to instal 2.86. Now, I consider myself a knowledgable mac user, but I can't even get as far as the rest of you. The files that I downloaded this morning won't even unstuff right (stuffit 6.01 with the text setting to "never"). They unstuff (the installer and the map installer) ok. When I open them up and click on the installer splash box, it gives me an error that the installer has expired (a new one to me). I'm assuming that it's something to do with the file being put on a pc at the server level? Is there anywhere else I can get them?

Help, I'm dying here.

PS, I even danced around a pool of chicken blood and wrote my name backwards in the mirror with lipstick to no avail.

vecna99

All is futile.
Oct 22, 2000
Out of memory error on a Mac

ok. i'm running UT 436 (the Game Of The Year edition) on a G4/400 with ATI Radeon 32MB AGP under OS 9.2.1. clean install of UT.

UT runs fine.

i install INF 2.86 as per PorterINF's instructions. i add in the various missing files manually, fire it up, reconfigure the video settings, and it seems to work great - i can see all the menu items, splash screen, etc.

then i open the manual zip map pack using ZipIt and copy all the stuff under the "Infiltration" folder in the zip file into the Infiltration folder inside my UT folder (as per PorterINF's instructions).

now, however, i get an Out of memory error every single time i run the INF launcher (this is the separately downloadable launcher, not the one that came with the INF installer).

i have raised Unreal Tournament's Minimum and Preferred memory sizes to above 400000. i have 640 MB physical RAM and another 640 in VM.

has anyone else experienced these problems? i'm so frustrated i'm crapping my pants.

thanks,
vecna_99

PorterINF

Apr 10, 2001
Visit site
vecna99

Out of Memory errors are strange on the Mac, sometimes I get them in Explorer and have plenty of memory.

Fixes can be a Restart, changing the programs memory settings or running Norton Utilities. You might try lowering the UT mem. settings to 250000, that's what I run. Also turn off VM, with 640MB Ram you should be able to run any program without the need for VM (which runs a lot slower).

If you have a ton of maps that can really slow down UT. Plus if you have several other programs running that will eat up your memory.

Hope these suggestions help :)