1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

If you're having problems loading INF 2.86 on a Mac...

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Alpha_9, Aug 28, 2001.

1. Alpha_9

Alpha_9 Infiltration lead level designer

Assuming you've followed all the directions in the manual, you need to do an edit on your Infiltration.ini file you coped from the Mac launcher download. Open it up & find the "[Core.System]" section. Add the following paths (preferably before the other path statements):

Paths=:Infiltration:System:*.u
    Paths=:Infiltration:Maps:*.u
    Paths=:Infiltration:Maps:*.unr
    Paths=:Infiltration:Textures:*.utx
    Paths=:Infiltration:Textures:Camos:*.utx
    Paths=:Infiltration:Sounds:*.uax
    Paths=:Infiltration:Music:*.umx

You should copy the above straight & paste onto the file. If you try getting it off the .ini file that comes in the 2.86 manual zip download, Mac UT won't recognize the "/" separators, and it won't work. For some odd reason Mac UT needs the ":".

Hope this helps any frustrated Mac users that may turn up... :)

2. Alpha_9

*bump*

(would be nice if a mod make this "sticky" at the top for a while...)

3. Alpha_9

*bump*

4. [BOT]Devil

[BOT]Devil New Member

still a problem.....

hi there
    i've followed the instructions in the manual and also changed the infiltration.ini as described, but it doesn't work anyway! :(
    i get an error msg "unreal tournament cant be launched because it's not an application"! very strange ;)
    i haven't had INF 2855 or earlier installed, only the new 286!
    plz help

dev

5. Alpha_9

Did you follow the instructions in the readme for the Mac launcher? Assuming you downloaded it from the link in the INF manual, it should work. Basically you need to have the launcher script/application placed in the main UT folder, w/ the UT application itself. If you have it somewhere else, then that's the problem.

6. HanD_of_DarKNesS

HanD_of_DarKNesS Evil Bastard

Those lines were already in the Infiltration.ini file I have from the Mac 2.86 Launcher, yet I still have problems. INF doesn't load. Running the launcher seems to load UT, but about halfway through the load process, I just get booted back to the finder with no error message or anything.

After several attempts to do this, my computer will freeze while trying to load the game. Under no circumstance do I ever get to a loaded gamescreen.

I have tried a clean re-install of UT 436, and even deleted the UT Preferences to no avail.

7. Alpha_9

Ok, I just tried out the updated Mac launcher & .ini file, which does have the correct paths now (so the above is unecessary if you're using it).

However, I experienced no trouble with it. Still loads up INF 2.86 just fine. Could you describe your entire setup, HoD? MacOS, RAM (including dedicated to UT), video card, etc. We'll need more info for the Mac support guys to get to the bottom of this. Also, make sure your UT itself is running alright, and it's not some issue that may be going on at that level.

8. Jackal<QSF>

Jackal<QSF> One of the last INF OG's!!!

you need to rais your UT memeory

find your UT icon highlight it and hit *comand I* dubble the memory that its at now

and if you have under 400MB of actual ram you need to turn of your V ram and put it at 500 MB

I was able to instal 2.86 with no problem

I also had 2.85 still in th system i think it will help if you leave 2.85 there

9. Jackal<QSF>

and this is for people who have extelmy bad fraim rates

make shure INF is using the right grafix card

it will not use your UT prefs so you will ahve to reset it

click the vid button in the INF menu and you will see up in the right had coner the card its set on usaly its defalt is 3dfx gulid. if you have a differnt card hit change INF will quit and you will see the UT menu pop up you will then see the cards you can choose and the system settings you can run at with optimal proformance click ok and INF will start back up

10. [BOT]Devil

[BOT]Devil New Member

still no loading....

ky, i've checked everything as i was told, the launcher is in the correct folder with the UT application, und UT itself also runs fine, but when i start the launcher i still get that error msg that UT is not an application!!!
    i'm using a G3/300 with 448 megs RAM, dedicated 324 megs to UT, OS 9.1!!!
    i cant explain this fault to myself, plz try to help!

dev

p.s. i've also installed TO 2.0b, but this cant be the problem i think!

11. Alpha_9

Just FYI, I run INF 2.86 on 256 MB of installed RAM, 200 dedicated to UT. Only get rare out-of-memory crashes, and that's after playing a ton of maps & then trying to load up a 12 MB monster like Falkenstein! So I doubt you need to set up 500MB of Virtual Memory.

As for Devil's problem, you obviously have something odd going on w/ your UT install. If your launcher is there in the same UT folder as the UT app, & the UT app works normally on its own, then something must be interfering w/ the way the INF launcher script/application is launching UT. The only thing I can think of that could be "corrupting" your UT install would have to be that TO beta you have, or some other mod you may have installed. Hard to say, though, without knowing more about how the TO mod is set up. Does it have its own launcher too? How is it installed?

12. macinf

macinf New Member

Grab key problem

I had no problem with the new version (although I haven’t played an online game yet). Thanks for the new version :D
    I have been configuring the options, and I can’t use the grab key. I tried to pick up a weapon and it didn’t work. I then tried to open a door and had the same problem.
    Any suggestions.

13. crash*

crash* no job too small, no fee too large

Devil,
    whether it is the whole culprit or not, TO and INF have never gotten along very well for me on the same installation of UT. I've been much happier with two (or sometimes more:p ) UT loads on my harddrive, one for each. Especially since TO went to it's own launcher with 2.0. Also allows you to mix and match mutes based on compatibility w/o crashing every time. (believe me, I know)

Alpha_9, FYI TO 2.0 uses a umod installer and creates a seperate TO folder within the UT folder. And thanks for all the help with the manual install issues! feel brave enough to try it tonite.

If not the .UMOD is avail tomorrow...........what's one more clean install of UT........:D

14. [BOT]Devil

[BOT]Devil New Member

ky, I'll try a seperate installed UT with INF 286 tomorrow, i hope i will work then!
    thx anyway ;)
    dev

15. crash*

crash* no job too small, no fee too large

SUCCESS!! mostly.

Alpha_9's guidance worked like a champ. Up and running in no time, the only hiccups: loaded up the 1st time on Open GL (which looked crappy, go figure); and I can't pick up anything either.
    /heads off in search of opposable thumbs

16. 996miami

996miami I do NOT ride a moped

Pick up solution...sort of

I'm also a Mac user.

The "Grab" key binding ain't working, so I type in the quick access console which starts like this:

>

and I type:

>grab

or wait...do I type pickup?

Well, anyway, type grab or pickup.

Try typing

>winning lottery numbers for tomorrow

(might work, who knows)

:D

Good luck

17. HanD_of_DarKNesS

HanD_of_DarKNesS Evil Bastard

Ok here's my deal with INF 2.86.

*WARNING: this may be long. I am a bit pissed as I just spent an hour troubleshooting my Mac for the second time in a few months after it crashed and then WOULD NOT BOOT. ARGH!!!!:mad: :mad: It's OK now though (I think)

---

My system specs are:
    • PowerMac G4 400MHz Sawtooth/AGP (purchased in April 2000)
    • 640MB PC-100 RAM (Now reduced to 512MB as I feel one RAM stick may be the cause of my above-listed boot problem)
    • ATI Radeon 32MB DDR AGP (ATI box retail version)
    • Mac OS 9.1
    • LG 915FT Plus 19" Flatron Monitor (capable of 75Hz refresh at 1600x1200)

I have stepped through the installation of 2.86 several times with the same results each time. Here is my process:

• Perform a full install of Unreal Tournament
    • Perform an update of Unreal Tournament to version 436
    • Alter Unreal Tournament's memory allocation to "Minimum" of 250,000, and "Preferred" of 360,000
    • Run Unreal Tournament, selecting "Rave" render mode and then quit the game after it has fully loaded
    • Unzip the manual install of Infiltration 2.86
    • Move the "Infiltration" folder into the Unreal Tournament folder
    • Move the contents of the "System" folder to the Unreal Tournament System folder
    • Delete the empty folders from the manual install package ("Maps", "Textures", "Music" etc...)
    • Unzip the Infiltration 2.86 Launcher
    • Move the Launcher application and included .INI files to the "Unreal Tournament" folder
    • Run the Infiltration Launcher, selecting "Rave" render mode

The outcome of this is as follows. I can usually successfully run Infiltration once. It will, however only run at 640x480. Any attempt to change the screen resolution through the game results in a black screen until I hit ESC or wait for the monitor to return back to 640x480. Actually starting a game results in my computer freezing completely once the map has loaded and scene been displayed. This requires a hard reboot.

After that, further attempts to run the game result in the Launcher running and the quitting. My cursor then disappears, but the Unreal Tournament load screen does not display. I sit looking at the desktop, watching my Norton disklight blink in the top left corner of the menubar. after about 5-10 seconds of hard reading, my cursor is returned to me, and I am back to a fully functional desktop. No error message or anything. Severeal such attempts without a restart will crash my computer requiring a hard reboot.

As I stated before, I have performed the installation on a completely clean install of UT (which runs fine). I have ensured that all files are deleted before an install, including the UT preferences.

---

PLEASE NOTE

This thread DOES NOT need to be bumped. I have stuck it to the top of the Troubleshooting forum.

18. Solitare

Solitare New Member

Same problem

I have the same problem as HoD. To make a long story short, I deleted all my old UT and INF files and did a clean install. I followed the directions in the manual on installing INF. When I double click on the launcher, it still says that UT is not an application. Im not sure what else to do. Im on a Dual G4/500 w/ 192 MB RAM under OS 9.1. Ill try waiting for the mac installer program to be released, maybe that will help. other than that i dont know what else to do.

P.S. Why are there extra files in the system folder in the infiltration286man folder that are never installed?

19. Ace[INF]

Ace[INF] Living it up.

Ok, everyone just look forward to tomorrow. ;)

Solitare: because it's designed to run on a PC, and a few files will screw up some minor things if installed on a Mac, so I left them out of the installation process.

20. Jackal<QSF>

the way this sounds to me is that you need 2.85 to run 2.86

all i did was add the INF folder and the lancher

and jused used the old INF folders i put every thing using the old INF folders and i have no prolem what so ever with running the game.

all that i had to do we replace items with the same name
    and it was a simple and fast install for me