1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Epic Announces "Major" UT3 Expansion

Discussion in 'News & Articles' started by Sir_Brizz, Oct 20, 2008.

1. UndeadRoadkill

UndeadRoadkill New Member

Hey, this thread is about UT, not GoW, ok :lol:

2. RennyManJr

RennyManJr CHAINSAW HIM!!

You have a point, but we don't know anything about it right now. If it will be released like the ECE bonus pack (retail re-release + free bonus pack) then all this argument become useless. We're discussing about air at the moment, it's safer to wait until some more details comes out.

But given the current state of the community i think that keeping the compatibility with vanila UT3 is a priority. Online numbers are too thin. The entire community is already spread out between 3 games, and the last one is the most suffering of them all. Making another split on the community is a suicidal step imho, especially with an expansion that will split the already too thin UT3 fanbase.

3. Al

Al Reaper

Sounds good to me.

4. KaiserWarrior

KaiserWarrior Flyin' High

Like many others I will reserve final judgement until I see what Rein means by "Major Expansion", I've learned not to trust a damn word he says.

That said, if Epic pulls something as big and improving as the 2K3->2K4 redo, then I will happily consider Team UT (whoever that is these days) as having redeemed themselves and absolved of any nastiness I may have implicated their way. We'll see.

Cliffy (and many of the other big figures at Epic) is/are still a scumbag, but then they're no longer connected with the franchise.

5. MeepZero

MeepZero ph34r t3h m33p

Epic...please...please do it right for the PC guys,

6. borsdy

borsdy New Member

Very interesting.

7. UBerserker

UBerserker old EPIC GAMES

No one should return.

Epic should use their time to fix bugs and UI and enhancing every possible thing that players want.

8. Chromatik

Chromatik New Member

All I have to say is...

YES!!!!!!

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OH MY GOD YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now that that is over I hope they bring the Unreal back to Unreal. Its sad that the downward spiral of the series has actually caused a degree of real world depression on my part.

Put me down for two copies please

Cheers

9. Entr0p1cLqd

Entr0p1cLqd New Member

Interesting news; but I'm struggling to get excited.

I'd rather they brought GoW 2 to the PC to be honest. For all that it wasn't a great port, it was still more polished than UT3 was (and still is imho).

I really like the core UT3 game play as I find the weapon balance and movement absoloutely fine (apart from the secondary fire on the Flak Cannon which I still can't hit anything with). However, everything around it is truly horrible.

10. TheSpoonDog

TheSpoonDog CBP3! Yarrr!

Well, my guess is... it'll be an expansion to the story - so more levels, another character faction (and you'll fight malcolm at the end no doubt and unlock him), and a whole bunch of fixes / improvements. I wouldn't think they'd do assault seeing they kinda intended WAR to include assault elements. Maybe they'll add last man standing or something small like that.

And... it's Midway, so chances are it'll be a retail package :p

11. Kantham

Kantham Fool.

Hype
    You have too much of it.

We'll have to wait and see.

12. Mozi

Mozi Zer0 as a number

I predict this may turn to

No!!!!!!

No!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OH MY GOD No!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

if this does turn out to be a lame expansion (hope not ) and a retail product not a download patch. Good to see high spirits but high spirits are easily crushed... just putting it out there...

13. LANCE.xd

LANCE.xd Flak Monkey

Knowing Epic, will this be an expansion a la 'ECE'? Releasing the bundled content in stores along with the free downloadable expansion online?

14. Leo(T.C.K.)

Leo(T.C.K.) Well-Known Member

As for the razorjack/ripper/whatever else incarnation of it discussion, I think it should return, at all the weapons at UT3 felt right, compared to ut2004 ones and I would say they were best of the UT series since it added some variety, although the greande launching should have been maybe done in the classic style and not in that complicated one and the sniper rifle was a bit out of place compared to other weapons, but other than that they were right and ripper would enhance that more.

15. Defeat

Defeat GET EM WITH THE BACKSMACK WOOOOO

Why do people keep wanting the Ripper/Razor Jack back :s It was cool in U/UT1 and worked in it, but it never would have worked in 2k3/4 or UT3 because of the level design making it a ricochet nightmare. It would become a fraction of the gun it was.

Things I wouldn't mind are a better UI, the OpenAL option fixed so it doesn't crash people's computers, DemoGuy an official skin name, a better way of downloading files than having them spammed in chat, something like 2k4 in terms of crosshair customization. Please.

16. Apathy.

Apathy. New Member

Fixed.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2008
  17. Wander

Wander kittens give Morbo gas

Quoted for being the most intelligent post in this thread.

18. Grobut

Grobut Комиссар Гробут

Quite frankly, if this expansion isen't good, its probably going to be the final death blow for UT3 (assuming it is not a free download), imagine the allready "too small for comfort" player base of this game beeing split into even smaller groups of thouse who have or dont have the expansion.. ouch.

And there are many ways they could mess it up, really, i think many of us wont even considder it unless it is an UT2004 style upgrade, that brings back the basic utillity and versatillity that we have come to know and expect of the franchise, they had better be aiming big, and for the PC, or this could easilly be the thing that finally subs the franchise.

19. WaitForTheRain

WaitForTheRain New Member

+1

Adding more to it can only make it better!

Maybe they're looking back to their PC roots?

20. Latent Image

Latent Image Bring the rain!

This is indeed good news...