Epic Announces "Major" UT3 Expansion

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Wowbagger

Curing the infection...
May 20, 2000
Sweden
Visit site
Epic needs to be very clever to drag UT3 out of its tomb.
And to be honest i think those days are over at Epic.
I would love to be proven wrong tho.

Its not enough with some new maps and characters for Epic to get my Money again.

Crytek did something clever btw, they made a tighter SP, optimized the engine, polished the MP and sold it at a very low price. (Crysis Warhead)
They also let people play the MP for free for one weekend (two weeks ago) and doubled the online numbers after it was over.

Thats exactly what i dont expect from Epic nowadays.

JimBodkins

Apr 10, 2004
Puzzling, they are working on new content with the publisher? I'm confused on the notion that a publisher would be involved in content.

But this is NEW NEW NEW ... cant say what it is in general terms ... but its NEW NEW NEW.

Could be good or bad.

... 5 . 4 . 3 . 2 . 1 ... commence holding breath.

Wander

kittens give Morbo gas
Aug 11, 2008
From the comments of the site you linked to:

"...if you're smart enough to connect to XBOX Live, you're smart enough to torrent a game, right Cliffster"
Arrrr, set sail and prepare yerself for lootin' and plunderin', yargh, I have an Xbox360 in me sights!

Frieza

Sep 15, 2002
Holland
Visit site
I hope they move away a bit from the current direction with some more colorful and inventive maps, and yeah, an UI overhaul and some tweaks to the dynamic music system would be welcome here :) And please bring back Rom DiPrisco, I absolutely loved his music (Jesper Kyd by comparison seems a bit phoned in) :D But yeah, nice news, looking forward to it.

Wander

kittens give Morbo gas
Aug 11, 2008
I hope they move away a bit from the current direction with some more colorful and inventive maps, and yeah, an UI overhaul and some tweaks to the dynamic music system would be welcome here :) And please bring back Rom DiPrisco, I absolutely loved his music (Jesper Kyd by comparison seems a bit phoned in) :D But yeah, nice news, looking forward to it.
I agree. Either improve the dynamic music system a lot or just drop it altogether. Personally I prefer Jesper Kyd's music. His Necris themes were totally awesome.

Grobut

Комиссар Гробут
Oct 27, 2004
Soviet Denmark
But then it wouldn't be an expansion, would it. It'd be a sequel.

You never know, they are calling it a "major expansion" now, but weather or not we should read too much into that choice of words remains to be seen, hell, it may be planned as an expansion right now, but some time down the road, they might choose to say "hell, we have have enough here for an UT2004 style sequal, lets just release it as a sequal".

Stranger things have happened, infact if memory serves me, UT was origionally planned as an MP expansionpack for Unreal, but later morphed into a stand-alone game.

[DUF]-Fragger

Jul 9, 2002
The Netherlands
I wouldn't mind to buy it, if its something like UT2k3 ---> UT2k4 i'm shure whilling to pay for it.

If its free its probably extra maps + patch etc and i'm not waiting for that.

But lets see and wait and hope for the best :)

Gr Fragger

TheIronKnuckle

What the hell is this "ballin" thing?
Ok, I added the tag asking to get what we paid for. Whoever added the slanted, horse-blinder reply "you already got what you paid for", let's take this to private messages.
lol "ya wnna take this outside boy?"
(I didn't add that tag BTW)

This news is hawt! I want an ACTUAL torunament or i'm not buying though./

But O M G EFF YEAH!!!!!! :D:D:D:D

dub

Feb 12, 2002
only noobs weren't able to use a ripper properly. Hence why you hate it so much. noob.

Weee. Angry little fanboys always make for entertaining quotes. :D

I suppose there is a point in that much can change until they do release.
What ever it is, I hope it's more than just the MSCU winners in one big pack though. ;P

Nah, I'm just curious as to who thinks they can dictate the value of MY dollar, vs the incomplete franchise killing mess that is UT3.

My point has already been proven by the $5.99 sales of UT3 all over the place. Meanwhile I paid over $60 for this coaster on my desk.

It's all good though either way, whatever. I STILL hope Epic (not midway) can pull up some kind of pride in their flagship franchise and manage to do something good for UT3 that will bring players back.

there's just so much that needs fixing I can't see them doing all that work for a free release.

If it turns out to be the MSUC winners all in 1 pack and nothing much more, I'll just uninstall finally and be done with it all. No offense to the entrants, but that's not what I paid for, heh heh. All that stuff would still leave UT3 a broken shell with some solid gameplay hidden underneath horrid optimization, a UI that strikes of "fire this guy", and a multitude of options, server admin tools and tons more options that are either broken or just never came.

Last edited by a moderator:

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
/me predicts :
= expansion will cost money

= you can purchase a license to convert your old maps to the new version due to 're-licensing' of the content

= it will extend the campaign seen in UT3; including Malcolm as a boss/playable character

= we may see the 'classic' ladder-style tournament return as a result

= the GUI will be identical with just a few additional tweaks that couldn't be done in (free) patches

= Malcolm reveals that his betrayal was in fact not as evil as it appeared to be ...

= Gorge and Xan return to kick arse and take names

Grobut

Комиссар Гробут
Oct 27, 2004
Soviet Denmark
I suppose there is a point in that much can change until they do release.
What ever it is, I hope it's more than just the MSCU winners in one big pack though. ;P

Yeah you never can tell, its not like Mark Rein hasen't told us a tall tale before, so if we really want to be cynical about it, then i guess "Major expansion" could just be Epic new-speak for "a bonus pack that has more than 3 maps in it" :lol:

But we'll just have to wait and see, nothing else for it really.