Unreal 95 / 97 Alpha Research

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
Btw the mysterious Found98 map from the 98 february beta leak, its package revision number matches with the unreal 88 build and it works vanilla there even though it probably was created on a build very close to it. 88 is a late November version while Found98 map is from december 97. The number behind the map shows the map version/revision so it's version 98 from map 1, before they stopped using the ma numbers and simply went on straight with regular maps.
One has to import all the textures/sounds but basically it works flawlessly except that its crashy as hell. But that version can be said that it was made for more or less. The 88 minigun rocks, but too bad it's all so unstable that i only managed to play until the part wih the exploding pipe, but I won't go for the nali section becaus eit crashes almost instantly there always.
I once converted the found98 in 2006 witht hat deathmatch pack but because I used the "fix" from argh! as base for coversion many texture references were missing(the original required genout and additional sounds in unreali which were missing in the feb 98 beta and had to be rebuilt because it crashed), I applied some textures incorrectly and made it looking more like regular foundry instead and I wasn't happy with the result especially when i later "edited" the beta to open the proper map just fine and look which textures etc were those. So..I think I'm gonna make another Found98 conversion this time raw and proper.

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
Found98_88f.rar
Found98stages.rar
Okay, the Found98_88f is the "finished touch" version, with most surface bugs/etc fixed and semisolids, also with readded prerendered 97 style skybox and extended outside area with mountains as was apparently in previous versions and added the firetextures where there originally were some(although probbaly not identical but due to missing textures that's the only solution).
The stages rar include the "raw" conversion for 200 and then the edits as I went even "tests" with the montains scaled down and added in skybox but it didn't look too good.
Now finally Found98 received a proper conversion(maybe as an apology for my 2006 one lol), also fixed some sound issues btw.

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
I decided to record a video on "88" although this turned into nightmare because it crashes every little bit, not because of script errors like in 871d but because of the damn rendering being unstable.
However I did record a video showing a bit of found98 original on 88 and the test default map where i put weapons in. Each time the video freezes/is not continuous means it crashed at that point.
Also translucency doesnt work on software/masked stuff and glide cannot be run under this particular version for me, not even with wrapper. So that's why the tank windows are not see through for example.

Unreal88test.wmv

Also on request made a coop version of Found98 with end tp. The "OldFoundry" map is based on the request to have it end at "Toxic" directly.
Found98coop.rar

Last edited:

Carbon

Altiloquent bloviator.
Mar 23, 2013
Good stuff again Leo. The video is interesting; crashing like crazy, but interesting. Thanks for your work mate.

Ocsi88

Jul 20, 2009
automag96t7.bmp - the same automag but used with the older "96" skin that was still in the 0.86 stuff.

I want to see this automag in final Unreal. :)

So the very early wierd looking automag (what was in the in the middle) is the same model, but a little deformed, right? :O

Last edited by a moderator:

Ocsi88

Jul 20, 2009
The outdoor maps are very low poly still, but were done using the blob method, which turned out to be good both performance and looks wise.

First i thought the caves in the begining were very unoptimazed early versions, because i compared it to the PSX version of Quake 2 (at least as i remember it)...

EDIT: Double post ZOMG! \o/

Last edited by a moderator:

iLikeTheUDK

Apr 18, 2011
First i thought the caves in the begining were very unoptimazed early versions, because i compared it to the PSX version of Quake 2 (at least as i remember it)...

EDIT: Double post ZOMG! \o/

Don't get excited, there was one time I accidentally got a penta-post...

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
I want to see this automag in final Unreal. :)

So the very early wierd looking automag (what was in the in the middle) is the same model, but a little deformed, right? :O
It's the same model, it's not "deformed" either, tbh those 96 shots with the automag are terrible, it didn't even look that bad at least in the 0.83 it doesn't, but it's just because the view is centered and the hand itself is low poly so when shooting with the gun it looked a bit odd but you would normally not notice ingame because the animation would go fast enough but the screenshot captured that "oddity". The 97 and 96 models are identcal except the 97 model has some additional animations. It's really just the position of the gun on screen, otherwise its really identical mesh.

Delacroix

Successor of Almarion
Jan 12, 2006
Warsaw, PL
Leo's latest recovery:

The Unreal September 1995 Monster Preview Tech Demo

u95mp1.png

u95mp2.png

u95mp3.png

u95mp4.png

u95mp5.png

u95mp6.png

u95mp7.png

Grab here.

Delacroix

Successor of Almarion
Jan 12, 2006
Warsaw, PL
Good.

Also, two shots of the Wizard (this oddity is in fact him, only anims are broken hence it's tough to get a shot of the man):

u95mp8.png

u95mp9.png

Eternus

lolwhythe****areyoureadin gthis
Jun 7, 2013
Unconfirmed
This all looks awesome! Never before have I ever heard of a wizard planning to be in the game. And a medieval version of Gina? She looks badass. =D

Integration

Sep 7, 2010
\o/ Nice find! So pretty much all maps belonging to pre-release screenshots have been discovered? Is that the gargoyle on the 3rd and 4th photo?

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
[screenshot]http://unrealtexture.com/Hosted/Leo_T_C_K/rare/wiza0.png[/screenshot]
[screenshot]http://unrealtexture.com/Hosted/Leo_T_C_K/rare/wiza1.png[/screenshot]
[screenshot]http://unrealtexture.com/Hosted/Leo_T_C_K/rare/wiza2.png[/screenshot]
[screenshot]http://unrealtexture.com/Hosted/Leo_T_C_K/rare/wiza3.png[/screenshot]
[screenshot]http://unrealtexture.com/Hosted/Leo_T_C_K/rare/wizf0.png[/screenshot]
[screenshot]http://unrealtexture.com/Hosted/Leo_T_C_K/rare/wizf1.png[/screenshot]

Images of the wizard by me.
The alpha was given to us by "TheVac" after long search of people who downloaded this leak back in the day.

There is still one leak from ROR left to recover and that is the 96 unreal editor/unreal beta one. There is a person with it I believe, so I want to appeal to her to please share it if possible if she reads this. I managed to find someone with this monsters preview leak after all, despite having doubts after the last failures where i lost contact with a guy who had it.

Last edited:

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
\o/ Nice find! So pretty much all maps belonging to pre-release screenshots have been discovered? Is that the gargoyle on the 3rd and 4th photo?
I'm afraid not, the maps are what is missing the most. And there are still two leaks out there to be recovered again. Nobody cared long ago to really preserve these leaks and it's incredibly difficult to find someone like "TheVac" who had this demo for example.

leilei

ANIME ELF'S !!
Jan 20, 2008
D'Sparil? In my Unreal?!

Can there be another angle of a screenshot of the water area? I can't tell if it's texture turbulence like that later 96 build or a screen buffer turbulence...

The light source reflections in the 95 techdemo was great too but could never be possibly replicated in Glide or anything else then, probably the reason why most of these effects were dumped for fixed function consistency.

Maybe Sweeney could opensource softdrv.dll and see if those neat cut effecty things are define'd out of their misery.

Last edited:

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
[SCREENSHOT]http://unrealtexture.com/Hosted/Leo_T_C_K/tempwork/redwiz0.jpg[/SCREENSHOT]
[SCREENSHOT]http://unrealtexture.com/Hosted/Leo_T_C_K/tempwork/redwiz1.jpg[/SCREENSHOT]
This is a temporary skin I made for the later version of wizard skin, the mask and front red cape were present on the dragon part 2 skin and woman part 2 skin(though the masks are slightly different in both versions as i showed once erlier here).
I think youcan bet that the robe looked diferent in the 96 version of wizard(probably the other early 96 leak has him tho), but at least with this you get a basic idea how he cold have looked like. Also there could have been improved model with the four arms just as is seen on that one texture.

As for the water, it's an effect, but not the same one like in the later versions, this one is actually more similar to the ut3 effects(though it doesnt look s good when you move).

Status
Not open for further replies.