Unreal Tournament 3: Platinum

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
I'd think that they should have implemented game checks and that's it. UDK checks what games you have installed and lets you install content related to it.

DarkSonny

Beware!
Apr 8, 2008
Malaga, Spain
I'd think that they should have implemented game checks and that's it. UDK checks what games you have installed and lets you install content related to it.

Which game? If were UT3 the answer is "No".

Reason: Entire UE engine and lightmass needed to implement into an old version with map by the way that were done long time ago....

Let keep dreamin righ nao..

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
Uhh, no, that's not Epic's concern. All they want is not to release their games for free. If there is a check, they are sure that they have sold the game already, thus the player should be able to use the mods there.

[SAS]Solid Snake

Jun 7, 2002
New Zealand
www.digitalconfectioners.com
Yeap, I'm playing mostly singleplayer as well. It's just not fun to get beaten in MP every time because of the ping and the fact that only those who have played it MP extenssively are still on the servers...
I believe it goes hand in hand. To get a good grounding you need to play against AI. As long as the AI is good enough, you learn most of the game without people yelling at you and calling you a noob. I remember the days of games like Return To Castle Wolfenstein where everybody was yelling at me because I didn't know what to do. But I couldn't, because the only way to learn was to actually play online.

Hmm, if it's going to break MP and mod support, wouldn't it be better to make it a TC? That way you will have an option to either play the original game or this one.
Yes, it is structured like that. As in, you enable it like any other mod. However, I think people need to realize that because it does seem strange that you have to enable UT3 Platinum to play a different version of UT3.

Good luck mate, that idea implies too mucho work and patience, I love that idea!

Anyway im looking forward to this work in wip state
Thanks!

Epic makes no sense at all.

Take a game they made, that "supposedly" encourages modding and porting, and amateurs tweaking and changing all aspects of the game.. ADD it to the UDK, which is "supposedly" meant to encourage modding, game development, amateurs learning the tricks of the trade etc.. and suddenly that's a bad thing?

I don't get it, I mean how could that be a bad thing? Are they afraid that someone might make UT3 better?
Actually, I would understand the forbidding of porting UT3 to UDK... as this would essentially make UT3 free and Epic wouldn't want that.

But forbidding making anything Unreal-related on UDK is utter idiocy and I also see no reason behind that.
Because it is Epic's intellectual property. They've put in hundreds of thousands of dollars into it and man hours into it, even if it doesn't seem like it from the outside. After all, once you've poured a lot of money into something like that, you really don't want people taking it for free and using it / exploiting it. Many other companies do exactly the same thing ... think of anime companies [Naruto] / table top war gaming [WarHammer 40k]. So I don't believe we should have a negative outlook on that at all.

Which game? If were UT3 the answer is "No".

Reason: Entire UE engine and lightmass needed to implement into an old version with map by the way that were done long time ago....

Let keep dreamin righ nao..
Unfortunately DarkSonny is right here. The differences between the engine versions in UDK vs Unreal Tournament 3 is massive. It's to the point where the actual assets barely work within UDK. What I would need to have is all of the original source assets to reimport them into UDK to take advantage of UDK's features. But then again, this would mean everybody would have to download gigabytes of data ... and it would definitely break all existing mods.

Uhh, no, that's not Epic's concern. All they want is not to release their games for free.
I don't see this is bad thing? Lots of companies don't release their games for free... in fact an entire industry don't release their games for free.

If there is a check, they are sure that they have sold the game already, thus the player should be able to use the mods there.
I don't see the point of the check? What would the check do? Even if I was to check if the player owned UT3, the UT3 assets are already incompatiable anyways.

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
I mean that it would allow people to port content from older Unreal games. I'm not talkinga bout UT3 alone. Let's say you want to remake the first Unreal. If they had a check for whether it's installed, it should be OK to release the UDK version since those who own the game have the right to play the mod as well.

Apr 11, 2006
There's not really a point to porting content from older UT games to UDK though.
You can pick up the Anthology for like $5 if you want them, and you can port content between the Unreal games themselves. The only point to porting it to UDK would be to allow people to play that content for free* and/or to utilize Epic's IP and name recognition for your own project. Neither of which are very desirable for Epic.

* Lets be honest - There has yet to be devised a "check" on ownership that is foolproof.

[SAS]Solid Snake

Jun 7, 2002
New Zealand
www.digitalconfectioners.com
Let's bring this topic back. If you guys want to discuss why it is good/bad about porting Unreal games content to UDK please start a new thread? I'm not interested in doing that, as it goes beyond the scope of what I wanted to do originally.

So the tournament structure that I plan to do for now is:

- Player creates a profile with their chosen avatar and skill
- Player unlocks two game types of their choice
- Player is presented with 5 matches and 1 challenge
- To win the tournament players must achieve a total of 20 points
- Winning 3 matches of any kind will award you with two points
- Winning 5 matches of the same game type will award you with three points
- Winning a challenge will award you with one point (challenges are matches with a difficulty skill increase by two)
- For every 5 points you win, you can unlock a game type

Simple, but I think that generic point system will allow me to add other rules and ways for players to win (think mini missions within matches etc).

For those of you wondering things like team management, AI coaches, etc ... these things will come later.

AlCapowned

Jan 20, 2010
I wish Epic made a tournament for UT3 instead of the crappy story we got. Thanks for doing this! Would co-op be a possibility?

FuLLBLeeD

fart
Jan 23, 2008
Kansas
awwsmack.org
AI programming is really tricky and I wish you luck with it. I don't know much about UE3 but I can at least give you feedback on how the bots are to fight if that helps you.

Don't worry about vehicle AI, it will always be terrible. I'd just worry about making the AI better for TDM and CTF.

Hideinlight

May 12, 2008
I would kinda of preferred a kinda addon/extention to mapmixer. It's got the features/ functionality, it just needs to be pimped a little.

Delacroix

Successor of Almarion
Jan 12, 2006
Warsaw, PL
I hate when people make idiots of themselves stating the game is dead. True, it lacks in popularity versus UT99, UT03 and UT04, but it does have its qualities and it is seen. The game is being played still and will be played for years to come.

DannyMeister

UT3 Jailbreak Coder
Dec 11, 2002
Bolivar, Missouri
Hey SS, I've been busy without much online presence in the last few days, so I just now noticed this effort of yours. It sounds fabulous! I was quite surprised. I'd like to keep an eye on the compatibility between UT3 Platinum and Jailbreak. Would you consider adding hooks for other mods to extend your single player tournament? For instance, just to add an additional gametype ladder to the tournament?

Fuzz

Enigma
Jan 19, 2008
Universe
I can't resist.

Dead complaint about troll/spammer. *ironically*

-

I decided to post today because I kind of like the sound of Unreal Tournament 3: Platinum. So, what will it include or do I have to read all posts in this thread? All right, I'll read it. Done.

Are you changing the engine source code or the unreal script code? I presume the later.

A new actual tournament campaign for UT3, yes, a lot of people would like that, my self included.