Why the low UT3 adoption?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

UBerserker

old EPIC GAMES
Jan 20, 2008
I was also disappointed with the Warfare results - blah, just a small revision of that freaking annoying Onslaught gametype.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Didn't the PS3 version outsell the PC version 10 to 1? The little advertising the game got was aimed at the console versions. The PC version got next to nothing.
Well, the point there is that it just got very little exposure anywhere. But on the PC it already had a boatload of people who wanted it and would buy it. On consoles they had to try to sell people on it, which they didn't. Where would you get that number from anyway? I'm pretty sure the PC version is the best seller, but I'm just guessing.
Warfare was originally touted to be a completely different thing. At one point we were promised Conquest - with huge epic maps, RTS style resource collection and strategy among other things. What we got instead was essentialy Onslaught with an orb.
One essential problem of their marketing strategy was just talking about the game too early about features that were not locked in. You can see with Gears 2 and Shadow Complex that they didn't spill their guts until the last possible second with those. I'm sure we can easily say that they have learned their lesson there. But that doesn't change the fact that the game was just an utter failure at launch. You can't revive a game from a bad launch.
The problem with the beta demo was that it was rushed out and the final game came out only around a month later and had no improvments over the beta demo. It was as if Epic didn't care about the feedback and naturally it didn't go down well with gamers. It took many months later of patching to address most problems.
The thing is, by the time the demo is coming out, they are already planning a gold date with their publisher. They can't just back off of it.

This has happened with EVERY UT demo. UT demo came out October 1999 (or maybe late September) and there was tons of feedback. Virtually nothing changed to retail. UT2003 demo came out in September 2002 and there was tone of feedback. Virtually nothing changed to retail. UT2004 demo came out in mid February 2004 and there was tons of feedback. Virtually nothing changed to retail (as I recall, the only noticeable things that changed here were some sound effects).

So, I guess I'm not sure why people were expecting there to be an enormous amount of feedback taken and applied by the time the game came out this time. They don't have a history of doing that.

Northrawn

Feb 21, 2009
Virtually nothing changed to retail (as I recall, the only noticeable things that changed here were some sound effects).

Two or three things in vehicle balance were changed. I can remember that the Manta got nerfed (timer added to jumping ablility). Cannot remember the other changes, but they were there.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
That's why I said "virtually nothing" instead of "nothing". Minor fixes were in all of them, including UT3, but the major whines were never resolved by retail.

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
The problem with the beta demo was that it was rushed out and the final game came out only around a month later and had no improvments over the beta demo. It was as if Epic didn't care about the feedback and naturally it didn't go down well with gamers. It took many months later of patching to address most problems.
And another problem is that the demo, unlike the ones in UT2004, was never updated. So people who still consider buying the game tries the demo and sees the original horrible build of it.

Good night and good luck

*pirate voice* Don't mind the rats, heh heh heh!

q_mi_4_3

Target pratice for others....
Jan 14, 2002
Somewhere in this world
Didn't the PS3 version outsell the PC version 10 to 1? The little advertising the game got was aimed at the console versions. The PC version got next to nothing.
Well, the point there is that it just got very little exposure anywhere. But on the PC it already had a boatload of people who wanted it and would buy it. On consoles they had to try to sell people on it, which they didn't. Where would you get that number from anyway? I'm pretty sure the PC version is the best seller, but I'm just guessing.
Please do cite the source that said PS3 version outsell the PC version 10 to 1.

StalwartUK

Feb 12, 2008
England
Okay, 10 to 1 was a bit of an exaggeration (probably thinking of another game), probably more like 4 to 1 or 3 to 1. I found this but it's old and I know they stopped releasing numbers at some point.

Yeah, they never updated the demo. Bad call. Especially if you have such a problem with piracy like Epic does. The UT3 beta demo didn't do them any favours. Did they ever promise an updated demo at some point?

Beelzebud (Satanas)

Jul 15, 2003
The flaw with comparing something like the UT demo to the UT3 demo is that UT was a much more polished game, and the demo shows it. The problems that UT had in that demo were non-existent compared to what we saw in the UT3 demo. Hell I remember people playing that UT demo like it was a full game.

I was very stoked after playing the original UT demo, as were many people. After playing the UT3 demo I had a sick feeling in my stomach.

decayed

Apr 8, 2008
It was rushed to meet a deadline, which is strange considering it had probably been in development at least two years. It was painfully obvious from playing the demo that it was not ready for release. When word hit that there were almost no changes from the beta to the retail release, that was game over. UT3 was never going to recover.

Dark Pulse

Dolla, Dolla. Holla, Holla.
Sep 12, 2004
Buffalo, NY, USA
darkpulse.project2612.org
It was rushed to meet a deadline, which is strange considering it had probably been in development at least two years. It was painfully obvious from playing the demo that it was not ready for release. When word hit that there were almost no changes from the beta to the retail release, that was game over. UT3 was never going to recover.
This is, of course, despite the fact that a beta of the first patch was out a mere week after the game came out, and that the final version hit a month after the game did.

Too slow for some people, I guess. Not to mention TF2 and COD4 being out at the same time.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Okay, 10 to 1 was a bit of an exaggeration (probably thinking of another game), probably more like 4 to 1 or 3 to 1. I found this but it's old and I know they stopped releasing numbers at some point.

Yeah, they never updated the demo. Bad call. Especially if you have such a problem with piracy like Epic does. The UT3 beta demo didn't do them any favours. Did they ever promise an updated demo at some point?
Of course, that was prior to some releases :p

They never released real sales numbers other than saying it sold something like 1.3 million across all three platforms.

SaRoth

Aug 23, 2009
Last Page

Well as far as I know it goes 2 the last page uve viewed or something unless u press last page but maybe one of the other mods can help u a little bit more. Im not completely sure about this

Severin

Feb 8, 2008
Isn't the argument that the game was rushed to meet a deadline a bit thin considering that it was delayed by six months for extra 'Polish'?

There were next to no complaints about that delay and I would have thought that a futher 3-6 month wait while causing a few moans and groans would have been a far better choice than the attempt at a Christmas money grab.

Last edited:

WHIPperSNAPper

Mar 22, 2003
Visit site
UT3 is obviously not as popular as the previous games, and as someone who's main UT experience is UT3 (I've played a bit of the original as well), I'm wondering why people haven't adopted it. What makes the other games better? I experienced a few bugs pre-2.0, but since then it seems to run very smoothly. Also, Which UT game has the largest player base right now?

Here's what I send to people as a private message on the Epic forums whenever someone asks a similar question about UT3:
Here's what you should know if you're new to Unreal Tournament. The original Unreal Tournament game (UT99 or UT-GOTY--game of the year edition) was fantastic and had a huge and very dedicated, fanatical fan base. Over ten thousand custom maps and mods were released for it.

Epic then released UT 2003 which proved to be a failure but fixed it up and improved it some and released a new version as UT 2004, which has proven to be a decent game though the movement and overall game play pales in comparison to the Original UT99. UT 2004's saving grace was its Onslaught (Warfare) game and Invasion-RPG games.

Sadly, Epic became infected with the consolitus virus and consolized UT3. The basic UT3 game play is decent, but everything that surrounds it is just god-awful.

The game was consolized, having a horrific user interface and server browser. Going from UT99 or UT 2004 to UT3 is like going from a Lexus to a Kia. Who wants to do that? The UT3 game play is pretty decent and UT99 clanners liked the gameplay of the Demo and were somewhat excited about it--it's just everything else that surrounds it--the (at release, the barely functional and pathetically featureless) server browser, the (consolized, clunky and slow) user interface, the lack of customization options, the awful map vote menu, the game's clumsy handling of custom content auto-downloading, etc., that's messed up and ended up killing the game.

UT3 was released as a stillborn. If you're brand new to the UT series, I suggest you buy UT 2004. Lots of folks still play that. To get a sense of what got the series going in the first place, I suggest getting the Original Unreal Tournament (UT99 or UT-GOTY). UT99 had the best game play of all three versions.

------------------

Here's what happened with UT3... Basically, the PC version of the game ended up feeling consolized and the game was released as a buggy beta when it needed much more polishing.

When the beta demo was released last year in October a number of hardcore UT99 fans who'd rejected the UT 2004 floaty-dodgy hitscan style liked the UT3 game play and were enthusiastic about it. However, when they found out that the retail release of UT3 = buggy beta demo they lost interest.

When UT3 was released the server browser barely worked and you couldn't even add Favorites! Basically, the game had been consolized--the user interface was clunky and slow and you have to wait to load the main menu. (Why the **** should anyone have to wait to load the main menu? It should pop up instantaneously when summoned.)

The list of what's wrong with UT3 is very long, but to sum it up--the game was consolized. The user interface was horrific and the server browser was featureless and non-fuctional and the game offered few customization options. Going from UT 2004 or UT99 to UT3 is like going from a loaded Lexus to a stripped down Kia. Also, the way content is organized in the folders is an abomination.

The UT3 game play itself isn't too bad and the player movement feels very good, which is why it's such a shame that the consolization of everything that surrounds the game play resulted in the game's being a stillborn. For people who want to play UT I recommend playing UT99 CTF pug matches, which are still going strong or just playing UT 2004 Onslaught. I guess UT3 Warfare might be viable and I can always seem to find at least one populated server online and of course they'll always be a few populated servers for DM, but overall I have more fun playing UT 2004's Onslaught game.

Hopefully Epic will take the avalanche of criticism it received for UT3 to heart and release a real, bona fide UT99-2 designed for the PC and made to feel like a polished PC game. It would be great if UT3 could get the UT 2003 ----> UT 2004 treatment.​

Last edited:

DannyMeister

UT3 Jailbreak Coder
Dec 11, 2002
Bolivar, Missouri
Here's what I send to people as a private message on the Epic forums whenever someone asks a similar question about UT3:

[...] consolitus virus [...] consolized [...]

[...] consolized, [...] (consolized, [...]

------------------
[...] consolized [...]

[...] consolized-- [...]

[...] consolized. [...]

[...] consolization [...]

No longer tldr.

I agree with a few things you said, but jeesh.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Isn't the argument that the game was rushed to meet a deadline a bit thin considering that it was delayed by six months for extra 'Polish'?

There were next to no complaints about that delay and I would have thought that a futher 3-6 month wait while causing a few moans and groans would have been a far better choice than the attempt at a Christmas money grab.
Frankly, the game was "targeted" at a spring 2006 release along with Gears of War. I don't think it's being thin to say that it wasn't done when they released it, though.

Metakill

Inhumane
Feb 18, 2000
Redwood City, CA USA
Don't post much anymore (though I still play). I think its not that anything in UT3 is really as bad as people say, its just that in one respect or another (according to preference) we've all experienced some things done better in the earlier games. In other words, we are completely jaded.

Also, this style of game appears to be the hula hoop going out of style at the moment.

Benfica

European Redneck
Feb 6, 2006
WHIPperSNAPper said:
So you are contributing to reduce the number of UT3 players and putting the franchise at risk. Thank you :rolleyes:

It's funny. This is what I posted 2 days ago on Steam forums:
Hi everyone.

I started with UT but only went online with UT2004. Even being such a great game, I was surprised to notice all kinds of rants and drama around it. Then with UT3 I wasn't really enthusiastic in the beginning and for me it still has a few problems. The point is: the keywords here are not UT3 and problems, it's me. After bugs that have been fixed a long time ago, IMHO the main reason why the UT series has been throught all this is actually quite simple: CHANGE.

The vast majority of the gamers that pick up ANY UT for the first time, tend to love it. Some that started with UT hated UT2003 or UT2004. Some that started with that iteration, dislike UT3. Some others just hate. This applies to virtually everything from core features to the most absurd nitpicking you may find.

The series resisted changing once but barely did it twice. Some adepts of UT or UT2004 couldn't adapt to differences or missed feature A or B that they were used to. "UT3 sucks" often means "I dislike UT3 for personal reasons". But this is a moot point, they are all great games for the ones that either start now or for others that aren't that picky. This seems to happen with most other games that have sequels actually

I see that some complains are honest and genuine, being related with unfullfilled expectations or disapointment. In the sense when someone says "I still play UT99 or UT2004 because I can" or "I'll consider the next version when I stop having fun with this one". My point thought is that even issues that are just personal preference are blown out of proportion because UT was very unlucky to have a very vocal "hate-base" that magnifies them 10x. Unfortunately the true fans tend to be silent and weren't able to stop this from happening. This is the reason why I recommend other gamers to make up their mind on their own, while ignoring the subjective comments, rants, drama and all sorts of crap coming from some self-proclaimed experts