UT3 Singleplayer - Desires?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
I don't know. The pathing was buggy as hell. When I was mapping, the bots were an endless source of amusement and frustration when testing path nodes. When UT2004 came out though, AI just a got a lot more complex with more detailed objectives and vehicles.

By the way, have you ever tried viewing the original Unreal's paths? For example, DmTundra? Well, don't even think about pressing "View Paths" as your 3D viewport will explode with hundreds of coloured lines! I have no idea how bots find their paths from that loads of possible paths.

By the way, bots in UT99 had another big con: they strictly followed path nodes. That is, if you have a large outdoor area, and drop in a few bots, they will all follow the same path without any strafing or randomisation. Basically that means a headhunt if you're in a good sniping spot: just aim at the place the first bot's head just was, and push the trigger. Head shot! Double Kill! Multi Kill! ... and so on.

Kazimira

Necris Fan
Dec 13, 2008
UK
kazumitsu.deviantart.com
Yup UT3 bots are insainly stupuid if theres any sighns of some hazard thats not wepon related. I was unable to play a map myself to test it because I was unable to see the holes in the ground that had kill volumes at the bottom. I folowd Loque who won the match against all the Necris bots I shoved in that map. He fell in every hole he could find then whent back to fall in them all again. The intire match was bots falling in holes it was almsot funny to watch.

MonsOlympus

May 27, 2004
And the UC2 bots... they whoop my ass on anything above novice :lol: and even then they give me a decent game.

Maybe thats because the aiming etc for the difficulty isnt adjusted for gamepad in UC2, feels pretty on par with UT2004 to me... Gimme a keyboard & mouse :)

dc

Aug 17, 2005
sp should be an unreal sequel done properly

leave everything else the same, except hire someone who isnt 8 years old/stupid as **** to do the gui

:}

Alhanalem

Teammember on UT3JB Bangaa Bishop
Feb 21, 2002
Ivalice
an unreal sequel should be saved for an unreal sequel, not UT offline.

Thought does need to be put in because more people play UT offline than anyone would like to admit.

/agree on Demoguy being the final boss. :p

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
an unreal sequel should be saved for an unreal sequel, not UT offline.

Thought does need to be put in because more people play UT offline than anyone would like to admit.

/agree on Demoguy being the final boss. :p

+1. Leave Unreal to Unreal series, not UT series. UT should have a ladder with some matinee.

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
UC2 had solid AI. The one major improvement in UT AI since UT99 though has been use of the translocator. UT99 bots never used it unless they actually had to use it to get to a hard to reach place. At least the more recent AI actually uses it in somewhat of an approximation a human player does. In UT99, you could spend hours pathing xloc nodes and still end up with bots that would sit there and loop back and forth between xloc nodes. Very irritating. Using it for quicker travel seems to be inherent in the current AI.

Umm, it was more because of pathing fault at maps I beleive, try checking UT classic mappacks(2 and 3) and the modern pack, to check how bot pathing can be done in a very good way. These bots just get everywhere in the maps...

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Unreal SP/MP would give them a chance to experiment with some different weapons/gametypes as well as make the multiplayer as stable as UT is known for (sometimes).

xMurphyx

Jun 2, 2008
liandri.darkbb.com
Maybe thats because the aiming etc for the difficulty isnt adjusted for gamepad in UC2, feels pretty on par with UT2004 to me... Gimme a keyboard & mouse :)
I can beat godlike bots in UC2 while I have to fight to get an adept bot down in UT2004. Masterful when I really know the map and get a bit lucky. So from perspective they over-adjusted the difficulty.

UndeadRoadkill

Mar 26, 2001
[not the Instant Action style :eek:, but more like Killzone, Gears of War or else]

That's what I want, though. They can keep their useless cut-scenes, they can even throw away the whole tournament ladder for all I care, if they just had a flexible instant action full of options and features (ala mapmixer).

JohnDoe641

Killer Fools Pro
Staff member
Nov 8, 2000
N.J.
www.zombo.com
you serious? :lol: I can kill a godlike 2k4 bot easily no matter what the map is, but the novice uc2 bots own my ass. I suppose it's the different game styles in each of the games that does this to me.
I have that problem as well, but I suspect it's because I can't use a controller for ****. Give me a mouse and keyboard and I'd probably do just as good against the UC2 bots.

moonflyer

Jun 2, 2003
Shanghai,China
lichong.blogbus.com

+3
Go play gears or halo if you want a deeper SP.
SP or not SP, that's not really important.
UT is somewhat facing a dead end. Nowadays not many people like this type of gameplay anymore. UT won't be that popular again, no matter there is a great SP or not.
Now it's time to make a new title, but still be fast-paced, gameplay-wised straightforward.
Accept it or not, UT is dying.